Default Re: Punkrod FXR. Build Thread

You didnt mess around tearing it down.
dieselc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
punkrod

Custom rubber-mounted Harley's aren't easy or cheap to do which is why I like the challenge. The aftermarket is really geared towards Softails. just getting into all the options for swingarm attachment, rubber mounts, shocks ,etc. it gets complicated and the suppliers become single source.
I'm keeping this one kind of mild for now but one thing I'm not looking forward to is the swingarm. It's got the old stock cleve bloc setup which works great and doesn't really need to be upgraded. But, I've gotta pull it off for powdercoating which means all that stuff gets destroyed, (hopefully the pivot shaft isn't frozen in the trans case). Once it's all ready to go back together what setup do I go with? Back to the stock cleve bloc rubber bushings, the newer FLT setup, the glide-pro or some other thing? I'm leaning toward's Custom Cycle Engineering's spherical bearing setup but I'm researching. These frames are like a tuning fork so tweaking around the motor mounts can yield a variety of issues.
punkrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
velomech

I agree, I saw a couple nice ones, all in all, Im NOT a fan of FXRs, I dont care for them. Im anxious to see how the build goes. Personally I think these bikes a challenging to make look good. Your off to a good start...and knockin it out too, keep it up.

Quit yer bitchin, ride your bike, drink yer beer.
velomech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
gasketscraper

Man, I don't envy you fighting with assembly of the cleve blocks. I'm sure there is a trick to it, but I haven't figured it out! Doesn't somebody make a parallel stiffener to take the flex out of the swing arm pivot? Seems like a good idea for a performance upgraded canyon carver. Lastly hope you can keep the 2 into one exhaust system. Thats worth some real world horse-power. Look forward to this build!
gasketscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
Larry T

I'm gonna try the Sta Bo delrin bushings.
I've read all kinds of stuff about swingarm "upgrades" on the net, and still don't know which is best.
Gotta start somewhere. As good as my bike used to handle, it's got kind of twitchy in the back.
Larry T

My old Panhead build: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
punkrod

FXR's are ugly but if I follow good feng-shui and recognize the boundaries it should come out nice. That'll be my stalling issues wit this project.
I've done the cleve bloc assemblies before. I put the last one together with a few parts I turned on my lathe. Basically a pair of spacers that just fit inside the swing arm. I used a press to drive the bloc assembiles in with the pivot shaft as a guide. Worked pretty good. I used the tool for something else years ago so it's gone now.
Harley upgraded the shafts to 3/4" then 25mm to stiffen up the rear on the new FLT's. I don't want to get into machining the trans case right now and I don't think I need to go that far. The Ohlins shocks that I'd need to get the most benefits out of all that are way out of my price range anyway.
Exhausts are on my "later" list. I like the Thunderheader for performance but it's too loud and too long for my taste. I prefer them quiet at low RPM, (I like my neighbors). I also prefer more compact systems as far as looks go so I'm thinking about it. Anything can be changed later if I don't like it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
punkrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
I'm gonna try the Sta Bo delrin bushings.
I've read all kinds of stuff about swingarm "upgrades" on the net, and still don't know which is best.
Gotta start somewhere. As good as my bike used to handle, it's got kind of twitchy in the back.
Larry T
Let me know what you think. All my enginering background tells me is that any plastic will cold flow and deform over time so nothing lasts forever as far as that goes. Delrin is probably a good upgrade though. Metal bearings are great for quick action and precision but have you ever ridden in a race car with a heim jointed suspension and no urethane anywhere? Pretty rough and I have my doubts on how the trans case will hold up, (why I haven't put down any cash yet). I'm probably way-over thinking it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
Lucky59

Me and the old lady were in carson city last spring staying at a hotel next to a gas station when about 30 Angels fron Nor Cal stopped for gas and sun screen, all on FXRs, young dudes, 35 tops. So we got talking and it turns out most of the bikes were pretty much stock. Seems they like rubber!
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
hatch
Banned

It's all about the finished product. I'm looking forward to your build.
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
punkrod

Took a few days off the bike to deal with the Holidays and hang with the fam.

Since I had to pull the whole valvetrain it was a good time to see what cam the PO had installed. There was a nice set of chrome-moly adjustable pushrods in there, (don't know the brand yet) and the tappets look good.

It's a Crane 1-1001, H296-2 grind which I've never used before but I do like how the bike goes. However, it appears that the inner cam bearing wasn't changed since it's the older INA type so I now have high-performance paperweight.

Haven't used this tool in ages, happy about that but not happy about why.

So, I need to order a new cam and torrington bearing. Debating on the tappets since they're good but if I can score a deal on a big axle Jim's set I might make the switch.

I think I'll be making the switch to working on the primary while I wait for parts.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
Nick-O

It really is just as well you opened that motor up. Since you are going to be using the FXR for a main squeeze, it will be one less thing to be concerned about. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Nick-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #32
FTW69

Have you looked into True Trac setups for the FXR?, I know they make a world of difference on baggers and dyna's but never heard any feedback about FXR's using them. Also check your pm's
FTW69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #33
punkrod

Got the PM thanks.
Not a lot of FXR's around these days to put a true-trac onto so I would imagine feedback is quite scarce. I am considering many options with regards to the suspension and the engine mounting. The tru-trac was on my list of ideas to explore but at $800 for the whole enchilada, I'll probably pass and opt for a couple nights south of the border.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #34
lttlleindsey

okay we need more pictures
Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
gasketscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrod View Post
Got the PM thanks.
Not a lot of FXR's around these days to put a true-trac onto so I would imagine feedback is quite scarce. I am considering many options with regards to the suspension and the engine mounting. The tru-trac was on my list of ideas to explore but at $800 for the whole enchilada, I'll probably pass and opt for a couple nights south of the border.
I've got an aftermarket framed (Kenny Boyce) FXR that I bought as an unfinished project. And finished it up. It has an awesome running 96 cu.in Evo (the only Evo, I've owned) and I haven't noticed any flex in the swing arm. But it has a 180 tire, I'd like to change to a 150 or so as the 180 just slides out in turns too easily. But not planning on any changes for now. Its only got about 4,000 miles on it. Fun bike.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #36
punkrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlleindsey View Post
okay we need more pictures
Workin' on it. It's a little slow going as I'm working to turn from tear down to build up. Right now, it's a frame, drivetrain and a whole bunch of ideas swimming in my head. I promise more pics but to appease the Ironhead goddess:

Last edited by punkrod; 12-29-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
pbxorcist

True track is really more for twin cams, and its design isn't really going to do too terribly much for an FXR, if they make one at all. I thought most of the true track systems were designed to reinforce the oil pan that is below the tansmission, which wouldnt apply to the FXR at all. There are two main things for handling of the FXR:

The spherical bear kit from CCE:
http://www.customcycleengineering.co...ndex&cPath=192

Carlini Torque arm:
http://www.carlinidesign.com/harley-...-arm/index.php

Although i think you only really need the Carlini if you are going north of 100 horse or so.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #38
Tha Nutz

I've heard from many people that I trust that the spherical bearing kit from CCE is the way to go on the fxr swingarm.
Tha Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
punkrod

Ever dilligently working and stripping the bike down further...
I removed the primary and pulled out the tranny to deal with a leaky mainshaft seal and trapdoor gasket. As well as just checking to make sure everything is A-ok. The internals look great but lo and behold, I discovered the cause of that pesky trans leak.

So, it looks like this bike is gonna need a bit more work than I originally planned, (always expect the unexpected). I was debating about adding a speedo hole to the trans case, (if that's even possible). After discovering this crack, I may just get a new Delkron case with the speedo hole already in it. Probably easier than fixing / modifying this stock case.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
gasketscraper

Thats a smart move keeping Littlleindsey happy. She might ride down and open a can of whoopass! Not sure whats involved with the speedo hole, but from what little I can see of the crack it looks groovable/tigable. If I went that route I'd glyptal the affected area, if not the entire inside before re-assembly.