soo what do you think is the hardest design feature,,, - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
lackluster

Default Re: soo what do you think is the hardest design feature,,,

I think the toughest part is making EVERYTHING work together. I've seen bikes that have sweet parts all over them, but none of them really work together or the bike has one major design flaw that overshadows all of the cool stuff the bike has going for it. If I had to pick just one thing, I'd have to say paint, for me anyway. It's just one of those things where there really isn't a cheap/easy way to go back and change it up once it's done, you've gotta be pretty committed to the paint scheme when you start spraying.
lackluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
M.O.Ther

I obsess about wheels and tires. Wheels and tires can make or break a build. That's probably why I have maybe 30 rims not attached to hubs, 15 or 20 complete wheels not attached to motorcycles, and probably a couple dozen new or NOS tires cluttering up my garage.

And, this is gonna sound strange to some, there's a certain Zen involved with building/designing. Get your major components together and commune with them. Become one with them. Let them help guide you where they want to go instead of you forcing your will on them.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Lucky59

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Ther View Post
I obsess about wheels and tires. Wheels and tires can make or break a build. That's probably why I have maybe 30 rims not attached to hubs, 15 or 20 complete wheels not attached to motorcycles, and probably a couple dozen new or NOS tires cluttering up my garage.

And, this is gonna sound strange to some, there's a certain Zen involved with building/designing. Get your major components together and commune with them. Become one with them. Let them help guide you where they want to go instead of you forcing your will on them.
I know exactly what you are saying. Sadly, too many "builds" tell you more about the "builder" than the bike!
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
BeyerAutoSalvage

My current ride is coming together nice, but I am having alot of problems getting the handlebars right- 3 types- none look right- that and exhaust.
BeyerAutoSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
=mike=
motorcycle enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to =mike= Send a message via Yahoo to =mike=

I agree with letting the bike help you build it . I see lots of people talking about what the bars look like which I guess is one thing , but how about what they feel like .

I'd be more worried about that than how they look . Form should follow function on most aspects of building a motorcycle , unless it's strictly for show .

A part should do it's duty well first and if it can look good doing it then I think that's a bonus . Trying to make that happen all over the bike is the big challenge .
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
dhallilama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richharr View Post
the last 5% of the build, once its running and stopping I cant see the point taking it apart and polishing and painting
last 5%? damn... once mine are even 75% done/running/stopping I can hardly do anything but ride

might explain why my builds break so much, though

really, the two biggest things I have:
Paint. Everything I have ends up black, because I can't decide.
Performance/Reliability. There's a balance there, and I tend to lean towards the more fun of the two (and pay for it later)
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
shifta

I second the motion bill H stance an geometry,safty and handleing but ill throw a few others in the pot too! color wize,this may sound strange but i let the bike decide and try and stick to the rule of 3, chrome/silvers, black and body color, i was a custom painter before i started building bikes choosing a design/style type,, and your best bet is doin a search for your model bike on the net if your having trouble, find somthing you like and put your own twist on it, a great source of inspiration for me apart from the jj is www.dbbp.com some of the best stuff on the net by far!!, ill leave it at that, but if ya wanna have a look at my litech post im startin a build on there and im going in from scratch, how i do it, starting from idea and paper work
hope it helps
p.s just start your build!!! theres more than enough people who will give you help and advise on the JJ
shifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
cody

paint and front end for me.

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
hogtownhd

Right now I'm struggling with how to do a set of mid foot controls. There are 3-4 ways I can think of to do them, all requiring about the same amount of time/effort. I just can't decided which design to pick.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #30
mt666tm

getting the little things all mounted and wired up in such a way that they actually look good exposed (coils, oil filter, battery, lights, switches, etc...)
mt666tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #31
zedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackluster View Post
I think the toughest part is making EVERYTHING work together. I've seen bikes that have sweet parts all over them, but none of them really work together or the bike has one major design flaw that overshadows all of the cool stuff the bike has going for it.
X2

Paint can be tricky, but if you don't have the basics right all the paint in the world isn't going to help you.
zedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
cshabang

I havent built a bike ground up, but Ive built plenty of cars..I always start with a general plan, then its stance and wheels ....from there, I sit back and build it in my head..At the hot rod shop i worked at, we (the 3 of us) would literally start the build, and everyday sit and stare at it during lunch or break etc....After awhile, its like they start telling you what they want...haha
cshabang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
threeston

I have been stuck with trying to find a design for the leather seat. no skulls allowed.
no flames allowed. that basically leaves a naked chick.

I have the leather cut and ready to tool, now have time to do it, and have the leather working tools.

I guess thats why I don't have tattoos either.
threeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #34
binky666

always paint and pipes! and im still never happy
binky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #35
el diablo

almost the same as danny F.

for me its never just an idea ...i always wake up with a complete bike in my mind
already done for 99.5%
its all about getting the money sorted out to build it ...thats always the hartest part for me
el diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #36
velomech

I will say geometry as well. Its not the most important design feature, I think it the most difficult to get it right along with everything else. At the end of the day, if a bike cant turn, its useless. At least you can ride ugly, but sometimes riding beauty can be hard to do.

Quit yer bitchin, ride your bike, drink yer beer.
velomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #37
Loffer

Making it all cohesive as has been said. Some parts will look good on some bikes but not everything. I think most people cheap out on paint because of cost or lack of basic design knowlegde so all black is the easiest way out but looks awesome when executed right. Some bikes look awesome with rusty and old parts because of the execution and design and particualr parts being used . If i had to say one piece that can make or break a bike its the gas tank, i build around it usually. You can have a bunch of different handlebars and seats and fenders but the right tank is the difference between an average bike and a great bike.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
gasketscraper

I think form follows function. And artistic license follows. Thats why I enjoy building so much. Mike from San Diego hit the nail on the head. Its got to work for you. Comfort beats style, but its nice to have both. Like others have said: let the bike tell you what it wants. In the end it only has to please you. Theres a point where the light bulb turns on and you visualize the finished product. And I realize that doesn't answer your question!
gasketscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #39
super rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
#1 Paying for the component I really want.
#2 Trying to make the cheaper component work.
its hillarious cuz its true!
but seriously stance/geometry
super rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #40
La Dolce

"Tail light mounting"!