Jockey Journal Forum banner

Triumph Scrambler. Hardtail "bobber" Projekt...

102K views 204 replies 70 participants last post by  knallert 
#1 ·
Hi guys and Girls...

i know this is a place for oldschool projects and other sweet stuff!

wanna hear what you think of my latest projekt, its a 2006 Triumph Scrambler that i bought last year (wrecked) and now i got the time i need to start the rebuild..

i hope im welcome with my "new" bike :)

let me know what you think.. to short? to long? more rake? etc etc etc

this is after i stripped it down...

Closeup on the engine...

This is 2 days ago with the original svingarm holding the wheel in place...

gonna use the rear axelplates and rebuild them something like this...

Here is the bike with 60 mm (2-1/2") stretch...

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good so far man.

If I didn't have other bikes to chop, it'd be a lot harder to not do that to my '08 Bonneville. It'll probably happen at some point, I'm just not able to leave anything alone...but in the meantime I have the '52 6T and the '70 A65L to keep me occupied.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi guys and Girls...

i know this is a place for oldschool projects and other sweet stuff!

wanna hear what you think of my latest projekt, its a 2006 Triumph Scrambler that i bought last year (wrecked) and now i got the time i need to start the rebuild..

i hope im welcome with my "new" bike :)

let me know what you think.. to short? to long? more rake? etc etc etc

this is after i stripped it down...

Closeup on the engine...

This is 2 days ago with the original svingarm holding the wheel in place...

gonna use the rear axelplates and rebuild them something like this...

Here is the bike with 60 mm (2-1/2") stretch...
Look at where the center of the crank-shaft is in the engine, and then look at the distance to the two axles. Personally, I think it looks like a long bike that ran into a wall.

IF you're going to go with a hard-tail that long, I'd put at least a 4-5 inch stretch in the back bone to move the front end away from engine. It won't be a "bobber" any more, but it'll look a whole lot better IMO. If you want to shorten the hard-tail, I still think it'd need a two inch stretch in the back bone.

It just doesn't visually center-up to me. It's way front heavy. Take a look at this picture I just randomly dragged off the net, and notice how equa-distant the axles are from the engine crank-shaft, and how balanced and "right" it looks:

One more:

To end up with proportions like this, you'd need to shorten the hard-tail, AND put a stretch in the back bone. You're at the point where you may as well do it right if you intend to live with it.

You wanted an opinion, that was my two cents.

#5 ·
servi53: great, i wont let them down..

skajaquada: i know i know......

2 days after buying my 2001 Bonneville i repainted it..hehe
and now 3 years later alot of other stuff has been done to it..
i Love the new Triumph engine. it just goes and goes!!

thanks guys..:)

here she is.. me everyday bike.. sitting outside the garage..

#6 · (Edited)
Wow. Thats interesting. I knew something didn't look right to me either but kept staring at my screen wondering.
I just looked at a scrambler in a parking lot the other day and noticed how close the front wheel is to the engine in the newer Triumphs. I say maybe add a little rake and a springer and that will help its proportions. IMO it doesn't necessarily have to be exactly equal but should have just a little more balance. Also maybe you can run a higher profile tank to take away the focus on the bottom of the bike so much. Look in that profile picture you posted. If you raised the tank up about 2-3 inches in the front it would meet up with the profile of the hardtail much nicer.

The only other thing i can't stand about the newer ones is the square tubing frames. They look so blocky. I wish i had a newer Engine / Tranny Combo to play with though. Do what YOU like cause you have to ride it. Kudos. You have a nice start.

I wish i had a log cabin to build bikes in. Anyone else notice the grass on the roof ? I assume its a natural insulator. Interesting.

#8 ·
J_F_Byrd: thanks for your input..
i see were you are going whit the balance factor..
and i agree to a certain point.. if i did all the mods you say. i would end up with a bike that you want to ride!

its kinda hard to look in the future and amagine how it will be..

1.not sure about the original tank.. a smaller one in a highter pos!?!

2. dummie oilbag for all the electric s*it

3. chain and guard

4. rear fender..

all of these thing may or may not add to the balance of the bike... gonna try some alternativs =)

#10 ·
I would definitely lose that stock tank, and run a 2.2 frisco mounted. But no, it's not about a bike for me, I'll stick to my chopped Sportster. I don't think it looks right where it is, I think the two bikes I showed you do look right, and I think most people would probably tend to agree. But it is your bike. So, not to be glib, but why even ask then?

#9 ·
bodyworx: the roof works great! it keeps us cool in the summer and warn in the winter... and i think it looks nice to =)

i agree in the square frame thing you are talking about...
but this build is kind of a compromize... atleast until my garage have all the things it need to help me build a frame jig... so im just tinkering with this original chop thingie!

if im right and im often not, this engine will follow me for a long time (hope so)
so lets call this version 1.01 for now:)

after this tryout a completly new frame is going to be built.....

Bills50: yeah i have been looking for a opportunity like this for a looong time..
the only not negative, but annoying thing that this engine has a 270 deg crank.... but i have to learn to live with that :rolleyes:

#11 ·
J_F_Byrd; I ask because i need some advice and some other peoples opinion...

its good that you have a strong idea. what a beautiful bike should have or not...

just dont try to learn me what to like... thats a different story...

dont want to start a "war" against you about what is a perfect or not..

i appreciate your input. thanks

this is my com wallpaper and has been for a loooong time!
it has the perfect stans (seen through my eyes) :)

#14 ·
No, no war. I think the bike above looks great actually. Would you want your bike to have that exact stance?

First, notice that those are stock length forks. That's put considerably more space between the front wheel and the frame. You'll also notice that the above bike's frame is sitting very slightly higher in the front (it's not level). I also think the hard tail is a bit shorter.

Do you have/know how to use photoshop? If you do, I recommend that you take the picture of the bike above, and the side shot of your own project, size one of the photos to the other using the front wheel which in both cases is 19". Then render the bike above as a 40% transparent layer, super impose it, line up the front wheels, and you will see what changes you need to make to get it to profile like the bike above.

It's a lot easier to make changes in photoshop until you're happy, than to do it in metal.

#16 ·
J_F: photoshop is a good tool and im gonna give it a go...
think twice before you do it... kinda

have been waiting for a long time to start this projekt and when i looked at the bike this morning i had all of your comments in my back of my head...

i really have to sit down and go through it before i start welding...

but i like spending more time in the garage then infront of my com, i know it dossent look so but i got so exited and wanted to share with you and the others in here....

will post pic when i have sorted out some stuff...

and yeah the bike i posted is very nice and almost perfect... i dont think i can reach that goal with my stock front frame... but it is a good example of a well build bike:)

#19 ·
I also like the direction this build is going. My only suggestion is to have the axle "outside" of the rear frame section, as opposed to having the axle boxed inside the rails. This will help the rear section look more balanced. Just for the record I do not think you need more rake as long as the rest of the features of the bike are tucked in with minimal empty space between them. Just my Two Cents.
Cheers, Dan.

#20 ·
This is a project I have been wanting to do for a long time, glad to see someone is doing one.
One thing that concerns me is the talk of the stance of the bike, casualy talking about changing the rake. This will have a huge effect on how the bike handles and corners. One of the great things about this bike is that it is quite nibble, and easy to ride. If you rake it out, it will be a lot slower and less agile.
I don't know if these type of things concern you, but I thought I would bring it up as something to consider.
Cheers
Dave

#21 ·
Thanks guys for your encouraging words...:)

you gave me some new "fuel"......

fork rake is 27.8° i would like it to be 30.0°.. but i think its alot of work for 2.2°.....

its not the right rubber on the front wheel, in the pic = 110/90-19". Max you can have on this fork with the wobble thing between the legs..
gonna us a skinny :Avon spedmaster up front and a :Avon Safety mileage MkII 5"-16 rear!!

HCC: its hard to say how my extreme lowering on the front fork will effect the rideabillity... my 2001 bonneville is lowerd 2.1/2" front and almost 3" rear.. she is lovely on the road..

supercruoton: i agree 100%... and thanks for those cents =)

punisher7: :)

synthsis:it was wrecked when i bought it so it was the perfect moment for a bobber build... over here in Norway a new Scrambler costs 23000 (twenty three thousand american dollars) Usd!!!!!!!! i dont think i could du that to a brand new one... but i only paid 1800 usd for this projekt,:)
it has only 2350 Km on it 1460 miles...........

Thanks again guys!!

#23 ·
might i add a suggestion? i know that you are building YOUR bike, and it's for YOU, but you may want to reconsider how short your forks are, when they are pushed up through the trees so much (or yokes, or whatever you guys call em)
if you were to put them back down another inch or two, it would look PERFECT, with the longer hardtail lines. i like a Triumph with a long hardtail. some don't, and that's their opinion.

having said all that, i'd steer away from a springer. think about it, it's a NEW triumph. why not try to do something out of the ordinary, why not use an Upside Down fork? something off of a GXSR or Speed Triple or such? i think it would look good, have plenty of stopping power (unless you are planning no brake) and that it would "fit" better with the modern engine.
also, they are typically short

#28 ·
its a Sweet scoot!!

here is Lc Fabs hardtail...2" stretch, 1" lowering...

Lc Fab in Action!!

And for all you other guys that are curious on a Hinckley springer..

(he/she should have dropped the org svingarm... just my opinion! but its low and evil looking =))

#25 ·
I say just buy a fork lowering kit for the front end. My bike has been lowered 2" with a Progressive suspension kit. I recently made the top of the forks flush with the triple trees, and it still sits right. Also, the stock tank does a really good job of hiding the square backbone. Here's a pic of my 2007 Scrambler.

#27 ·
hec4sc: lowering kit, check! ps10-1550 (2 weeks delivery:()

i must say your bike are a BIG inspiration...
Dont know how many hours i have been sitting in front of my computer staring on your bike!!

your colour choice = pefect... the trim on the tank "edge" is lovely..
and the tires match 100%

headlight... awesome!! i could go on and on and on......

what did you do whit the spagetti bolognese?
(thats my biggest concern.... gah! )

great bike!!:)

sweatmachine: thanks... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.