Panhead Electrical - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
-Pod-

Default Panhead Electrical

Hey all, been working on my ‘49 Panhead and I am ready to wire her up!!! My question is what coil and ignition are folks using? I plan on making it 12volt generator system. Tail and headlights only and an antigravity (12cell) battery. Possibly upgrade to E Start later. I run Dynatek (Dyna-S) electronic ignition and coil on my ‘76 Shovelhead and works absolutely awesome!!! I’d like to run the same on my pan. Dynatek says it’ll work but do not have install instructions for Panhead!!

Is anyone out there running this setup on their Pan?! And how did the installation work? Thoughts and advice ?

Many thanx to all!!!! 🍻
-Pod-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	750D3DD1-DB9C-47F5-B992-4B5603B456E1_1566492662374.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	255308   Click image for larger version

Name:	32E61096-42B9-4BD8-8038-107FFF96DDCF_1566492738429.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	255310  
-Pod- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Default Re: Panhead Electrical

McElroy did this at some point. I think he machined something extraneous, then figured out an easier way to do it. The challenge he faced, if I remember rightly, was that a dizzy and a cone shovel spin the points breaker in opposite direx.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Scott McKelvey

Nothing fancy to do really http://www.dynaonline.com/support/dynatek-faqs.aspx#403

And you can call them if that's not clear enough. Their support and service has impressed me any time i've had to contact them.
Scott McKelvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
johnjzjz

for a plug and play app - eds e 2000 is a magnetic trigger and just replaces your points and condenser and works both on 6 volt and 12 volt systems < 12 volt take a 3 ohm coil

its guaranteed for life -

when was the last time your refrigerator magnet stopped working and fell off
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McKelvey View Post
Nothing fancy to do really http://www.dynaonline.com/support/dynatek-faqs.aspx#403

And you can call them if that's not clear enough. Their support and service has impressed me any time i've had to contact them.
This sounds maybe a bit familiar. I believe Jason did this before there was a fitment listed for this from Dynatek. I seem to remember he maybe machined a "backwards" points cam?

Whatever the case, I do recall him making it work the hard way, then he figured out the easy way.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
-Pod-

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Quote:

This sounds maybe a bit familiar. I believe Jason did this before there was a fitment listed for this from Dynatek. I seem to remember he maybe machined a "backwards" points cam?

Whatever the case, I do recall him making it work the hard way, then he figured out the easy way.
I do really like their systems as I’m running one on my shovel and works great!!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Just Passin' Thru...

Its worth the time to look at Ed's ebeyond2000 like John said. I am very impressed with it and will be putting one on my panhead too.
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
johnjzjz

I sent him my JD distributor and he developed the unit for those as well couple years back

in my shop we must have installed 25 or 30 of them and never had one come back
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
JasonMcElroy

Here's the article I wrote about timer conversion to use Dyna S.

Greasy Gringo - Early Timer Conversion

As mentioned, I originally overthought it and modified the rotor to run upside down to account for the rotation difference. Once I thought it through, realized I didn't have to.

I made a diagram to prove it out:

HD timing Events

Jason
JasonMcElroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
selfmadehell

Hey Danny,
I’ve used a bunch of stuff over the years. In my ‘60 I’ve got a Morris g5, so that’s out of the running, but my ‘64 has got the Ebeyond 2000 QuickStart module and it rules. Super easy setup, works with stock coils and 6v or 12v. Not to mention that you are buying from a dude that makes them that is a phone call away.
selfmadehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
buffalobruce

Been using points on my Knuck and Pan my whole life. Works just fine. Have electronic on shovel, came that way from factory works fine. I remember what I was taught when I was young. K.I.S.S., keep it simple stupid. And if it an't broke don't fix it. Its alot easier and quicker, to replace a set of points than to trace down electronics on the road. Always carry a spare set of points with me. Any way just food for thought. Everyone now a days wants to upgrade to some electronic thing. Than bitch and moan when it doesn't works.
buffalobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
bigfoot

V-twin has a reverse rotation gear kit to drive the circuit breaker to use late model electronic ignition setups. The part number 12-0825
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
-Pod-

Wow. Many thanx for the info!!! Lots to consider. Many thanx all!!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #14
-Pod-

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfmadehell View Post
Hey Danny,
I’ve used a bunch of stuff over the years. In my ‘60 I’ve got a Morris g5, so that’s out of the running, but my ‘64 has got the Ebeyond 2000 QuickStart module and it rules. Super easy setup, works with stock coils and 6v or 12v. Not to mention that you are buying from a dude that makes them that is a phone call away.

So I think I’m gonna try/use EBeyond so now need to find s 3 ohm coil. Have always liked the Dyna coils and wondering if the DC6-1 will work? I need to have that 2” hole to hole mount. The post extensions won’t work for my application. Ed said any 3 ohm coil will work just need to find one that fits. Any other ideas?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
clay h

I run a Mallory mechanical advance,electronic distributor and a BlueStreak 3 ohm coil.It works great!
clay h is online now   Reply With Quote