Need length of stock shovelhead pushrods, please - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Scott McKelvey

Default Need length of stock shovelhead pushrods, please

I replaced an OE style set of tappets (with solid inserts) with an old NOS set of Hydraulic tappets like Dixie\Superior used to sell (they have a Hydro unit that is not like stock). Now my pushrods are too short. And because these new tappets use a different Hydro unit, even those solid adapters won't work, so it's not like that's an option.

It could be that the new tappets are shorter, but it could be that my pushrods aren't stock length (maybe they were a custom length sold with the solid inserts). So I'm trying to start by determining what stock length shovelhead pushrod is, then I can figure out what direction to go.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tappets.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	255302  

Last edited by Scott McKelvey; 08-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Scott McKelvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
johnjzjz

Default Re: Need length of stock shovelhead pushrods, please

the oem steel pushrods are 10 inches long with the adjuster all the way in

mid usa 60224 I believe is the number are different lengths but the front exhaust is 10 inches with the adjuster in and they are alloy material

both sets have the hyd nipple on the end

BTW Taiwan tedd v twin - also sells the exact same ones the lifters and they come over sized I believe .002 - .005 and even .010 for out of round worn lifter blocks
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Scott McKelvey

John- so it sounds like mine is stock (see pic- this is the front exhaust, longest)?

So, what the heck? What pushrods do those stupid lifters use (I knew better than to veer from OEM stuff)?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pushrod.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	255304  

Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
johnjzjz

we did a set couple years back sort of remember we ended up with stroker pushrods - but we do a lot of blended engines that come in to the shop so we had them in stock

its too long ago but we had an another issue as I remember - then we had noise so we tightened them an extra 1/2 turn 3 1/2 turns down - I remember that and it left - but I know the bike and the guy is still riding it maybe 5 or 6 thousand miles since so they do end up working - cant bring back what we did to get it to work for a fact
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
joe49

A couple of my earlier posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Front exhaust always needs to be adjusted tighter because of the angle it is at. Try another 1/4 turn and if that is not enough to quit making noise go a 1/2 turn. On stock pans and shovels I adjust 5 turns down from zero lash on the front exhaust and 4 turns on the others.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
I adjust stock ones 4 turns down and 5 down on the front exhaust from contact. I always pull the hydraulic units and clean and purge them and adjust them empty.
Saved some typing.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
Scott McKelvey

Joe49 I appreciate the response but I'm not looking for instruction on how to adjust.

My pushrods are just too short, and I'm trying to figure out what pushrods to get and where to get them, or whether to throw these stupid lifters away. If I extend the pushrod far enough to compress the hydraulic unit all the way, the adjusters just start to come out of the pushrod. So even if I turn them back in another one and a half turns, there's only a couple of threads holding the adjuster in place.

Right now it looks like the ladder, unless someone can tell me what the story is with these things. They have a what the V-Twin catalog describes as an integral pump unit. I actually liked the design.

My cylinders are stock length. it looks like there are a couple of stroker pushrods out there that area quarter inch longer, which is better but not ideal. but those cost more than the tappet blocks and lifters combined.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15664386389578402471862769476532_1566438665620.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	255306  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Scott McKelvey

I just did an actual adjustment and took measurements. My short pushrods are 9" from the top end to the bottom of the nut on the pushrod (I.e. exclude the adjuster). The long pushrod is 9 3/16.

If I adjust them per instructions, I have only 1 turn of threads engaged, which ain't squat on a 32 TPI.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Fetch

I recently switched from Hyralic to solids on a '79 80" They solids came with 3 distinct length rods; the longest to the #1 exhaust, the next to the #2 exhaust and the 3rd & 4th for the intakes were the same.

I didn't measure them against the stock Hydralic lifter rods, only noticed the difference in length, enough so that the lifters that were with they Hydralic's would not have worked with the solids.
Fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Scott McKelvey

Just to wrap this thread, in case anyone refers to it in the future.
- So stock shovel pushrods may or may not have different lengths in a given set. But when they do, the long ones are ~10" with the adjuster all the way in, and the short ones are in the neighborhood of 9.75". And in fact, I did have stock length pushrods.
-there aren't many out there, but stroker pushrods appear to be an 1/8 to 1/4" longer than stock.
- One difference I did find was the length of the adjusters. And that's what saved me in this case. I checked some steel pushrods that I later found on the shelf. Their adjusters were at least 1/2" longer, than the ones I showed in the picture.
-as for those lifters, they are working fine, but they definitely sit way lower in the bore than my OEM style lifters with solid inserts did.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Appreciate the followup; good looking out!