Older PM controls- anybody know anything? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
radarsonwheels

Default Older PM controls- anybody know anything?

Howdy!

I am looking at a pan with older custom stuff on it. I am not a fan of billet bling but I always liked the old performance machine stuff- it was all about business and no spikes or tribal graphics. A little fancier than GMA but works great and inoffensive for a bike that is really ridden.

Anyway I even called them and their tech department doesnít know squat. I am looking for info mostly about the right side switch housing incorporated into the front master cyl handlebar clamp. Itís the old rectangular style master and has two square buttons on it.

How do these buttons work? Are they each push on push off? Or one is on one is off for the ignition cut? Anybody had a set of these and know how theyíre wired? And does anybody know what era they might be from? Iím thinking late evo/early TC era but I couldnít afford PM new back then just like I canít afford period correct now!

Thanks for any info the seller doesnít know a lot about the bike.

Iím on iphone here and the mobile version of JJ is total crap so I use the request desktop trick to get a usable interface but when I hit manage attachments it spits me back to the thread listings on the mobile interface? Iím gonna hit post and try to add a pic in the response.

Radar
radarsonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
radarsonwheels

So wierd it had to spit me back to annoying mobile version where scrolling is constantly interrupted by unicef ads... anyway here’s a pic. Hitting the paperclip was easy enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C73377EC-0EA7-467A-BDB5-BBA886516DE6_1565365386638.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	255234  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Default Re: Older PM controls- anybody know anything?

I know nothing about those controls, but they're likely custom and those buttons could be used for anything that one desired to wire to them.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
VonWegener

Everything in that picture is round except that square master with its razor sharp edges. Doesn't do it for me sorry.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
radarsonwheels

Of course they’re custom. PM= performance machine. They have been making harley parts longer than I’ve been building bikes (wrenching since the late 90s and I’m 41).

PM manufacturing owner’s son is Roland Sands who makes a lot of parts for new bikes. Unless you live in a cave you’ve seen his and his dad’s stuff? Not my cup of tea but I only like parts that get the job done- not into billet decoration.

I used to make custom brackets to put nissin and tokico four and six piston calipers on all my shovelheads. Too many bad drivers in Philly and I used to never be able to leave my shovels alone- always 88 or 98 CID stuff. Big GO needs big Woah. To me these look like the parts I’d make if I had a mill and a lathe. No tribal flames or spikes or live to ride conchos. I’m in for hating on billet for its own sake but I don’t have a problem with clean parts that work better than stock.

I love the OEM look but no more drum brakes for me I’ve been smeared pretty good a few times by dummies in cages. I can’t afford correct 50s parts and I have no interest in banana calipers.

Anyway, I found out it’s high beam and horn on this bike.

I’m trying to get the bike in a trade but if I get my greasy mitts on it I’ll probably drive it as a blingy 90s custom for a while while I collect parts to make a stripped down ‘48 looking deal. It has a ‘53 driveline with correct stampings and a good title so that’s all that really matters!

Later
Radar
Old 08-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarsonwheels View Post
Of course theyíre custom. PM= performance machine. They have been making harley parts longer than Iíve been building bikes (wrenching since the late 90s and Iím 41).

PM manufacturing ownerís son is Roland Sands who makes a lot of parts for new bikes. Unless you live in a cave youíve seen his and his dadís stuff? Not my cup of tea but I only like parts that get the job done- not into billet decoration.

Anyway, I found out itís high beam and horn on this bike.

It has a Ď53 driveline with correct stampings and a good title so thatís all that really matters!
I wasn't referring to the brand, I'm familiar with PM, but they're still custom. Meaning in this case, someone wired up a high beam and horn. You could wire up signals if you wanted to. That's what I meant by custom.

Yeah, '53 driveline and good numbers is what matters, turn it into whatever you'd like.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
crazy b

They're usually momentary switches aka push for "on" and release for "off", like a horn button. They were usually meant for starter button or turn signals but like said above you can do whatever you want with them.

My experience dealing with old PM stuff, do as much research as you can before you call, they sometimes scribed part numbers under the clamping surface. The sales guys can look up most anything old, sometimes you get connected to the right guy that knows the older stuff. Or just email them pics. They actually still supply a lot of the old parts/rebuild kits too.
crazy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
radarsonwheels

Thanks Crazy B.