Rocker box oil leak and such triumph.... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
96dragginsdime

Default Rocker box oil leak and such triumph....

I have to tear my rocker boxes off and rebuild them (didnt do the first time around) I did sand the bottoms flat, and I am getting some oil dripping. I believe its coming from the o rings in the shaft ends. But I also see what looks to be bubbling coming from the rocker box bolts themselves. I searched but couldnt come up with much. Does anybody use a thread sealant or anything on these bolts going into the head? Thanks I just want to get these oil leaks fixed so I can ride!
96dragginsdime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch
Default Re: Rocker box oil leak and such triumph....

the "O" rings can easily be changed without any removal of the boxes. just remove the acorn nuts and tap the shafts out about a 1/4" and change them.
as for the bubbling oil that could indicate some more serious issues, if it's the exhaust side it could be worn out valve guides putting too much pressure in there.
if it's on a head bolt it also could indicate a crack in the head to the head bolt hole.
ether way that's a lot to expect a rocker box gasket to contain.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
96dragginsdime

I am not 100% sure where the leaks are coming from it just appeared to have some air bubbles around the one rocker bolt. I have to pull them anyways..... one of the spring washers is broke and one of the rocker bolt holes is actually stripped so have to helicoil that. Just making sure it isnt common practice for any kind of sealant on the threads. Thanks Tony

Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
flypa38

When you say oil is coming from the bolts themselves, do you mean under the bolt heads or near the bolts where the rocker meets the head?
I've been dealing with leaky rocker boxes for a while now myself and have come to the conclusion that the head needs trued up for a proper seal on mine. To me it isn't worth so much dis-assembly for such a minor oil leak!
As far as thread sealant, there shouldn't be anything to seal at the threads. Those are blind holes. Avoid RTV at any cost to seal rockerboxes! Bad news for the oil system! I used a very small amount of non-drying blue Hylomar on the gaskets, but that's all. I think correct, proper sequence, and even torque value is very important too, but I'm a nerd about torque values!
Good luck
LET'S GO PENS!!!!
Johnny
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
96dragginsdime

Yeah I read through a lot of your threads about it.... wes redid my head so I know it's good to go. I just have to get these boxes rebuilt and the threads heli coiled and I should be good. And yes let's go pens!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
MARIO MEDEIROS

Sorry to hijack the post but Tony you said you can replace the o rings while the box's are still on the motor,do you need to loosen off the tappet adjusters 1st?Or is that needed?Thanks
MARIO MEDEIROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO MEDEIROS View Post
Sorry to hijack the post but Tony you said you can replace the o rings while the box's are still on the motor,do you need to loosen off the tappet adjusters 1st?Or is that needed?Thanks
ok Mario.
here's my 20 minute Triumph rockershaft seal replacement procedure..

rotate the engine to get the best rocker arm middle spot, (remember the slight down angle of each rocker arm before you loosen anything up).

after you loosen both tappets clear of the valves. remove the acorn nut and gently tap the shaft out (use a punch so you don't jank the threads all up) ...go out only just enough to expose the O ring.

Remove the old one, install a new O ring and then use the acorn nut to pull the shaft back in place while you hand tuck the O ring in under the edge as the shaft comes in. (a little grease helps)

To re-adjust the tappets, pick up on the rockerarms to seat them back on the pushrods, then turn the adjusters down until they touch the valve and then adjust down until the rocker arm angles are back to where they were.

then rotate the engine as required and set your valve clearances.

that's it.

there is an actual Triumph rocker shaft O ring conical installation tool, it's okay but on the engine I do it this way.

Last edited by Tony the torch; 10-25-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
RidingHood

Triumph rocker boxes(and cylinder heads) are often victims of over tightening , when oil seeps up past a bolt it can mean that the surface directly under the bolt head is not flat ,so get someone to flatten the bolt seating area with either a spot face drill or a end mill cutter on a milling machine,it does make a difference.
Cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
Rob Axel

Funny.. I read this thread.. and not soon after was on you tube and saw ol "Lunmad" had made some rocker box gaskets out of copper... not sure how well they worked... but you have got to love the guys thought process...
Old 10-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
MARIO MEDEIROS

Thumbs up Re: Rocker box oil leak and such triumph....

Thanks Tony.
MARIO MEDEIROS is offline   Reply With Quote