Original Harley Springer Neck Bearing Kit - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Stevie Fierce

Default Original Harley Springer Neck Bearing Kit

Im freakin lost here. I've tried searching the site and there are several threads that seem to touch on the issue im having but im still lost.

The fork on the bike is I believe a 48? It has a 1" neck but on the base of it there is a collar or a sleeve.... some kind of bump out.

I purchased a timken kit from V-Twin and have installed the new neck cups which went fine but now I can't slide the timken bearing over this bump out at the bottom of the stem, obviously.

Is there a piece missing that i need to get or do i need to modify this stem, as in machining this collar down? It seems that if they sell this kit that it must work??? What am i doing wrong?

I should mention that when rebuilding this front end I used V-Twin rebuild kit for the lower legs. The kit seemed "complete" but didn't have certain star washers and other misc washers that the original had. Are these kits really that shitty? I'm so done with this taiwan bullshit, i should have known.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
TDWZ28

Default Re: Original Harley Springer Neck Bearing Kit

That collar or sleeve will come off. It slides on the stem. You should be able to get a thin chisle under it to get it moving. It should then slide rite off.
Yes, those kits are that shitty. Missing parts, bad fit, wrong sizing, is the normal junk from overseas.
TDWZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
HD48FL
Super Moderator

If your fork is a '48, then why not use the original ball bearing set up?
HD48FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Stevie Fierce

thx for the quick response man. sorry for the blurry pic as im working with a camera phone here. you arent talking about that tapered collar in the pic are you? Im talking about the way the very bottom of the stem sort of "steps" out. it makes up about 1/2" of the very bottom of the stem. its blurry but you can see it in the pic. thx.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Stevie Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
If your fork is a '48, then why not use the original ball bearing set up?

you're saying to just use the completely original setup right? you have a good point there. i figured updating to the timken bearings would be a step in the right direction. this bike actually had 2 diff neck cups on it with a timken on the bottom and ball bearings in the top. i had to get new shit and rebuil the front end, so i thought i'd go with the updated stuff. i guess i was wrong.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Fierce View Post
you're saying to just use the completely original setup right? you have a good point there. i figured updating to the timken bearings would be a step in the right direction. this bike actually had 2 diff neck cups on it with a timken on the bottom and ball bearings in the top. i had to get new shit and rebuil the front end, so i thought i'd go with the updated stuff. i guess i was wrong.
I say use what was original as that's what it was designed for. It worked back then, why reinvent the wheel?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
j ripper

the timken bearing should go over that raise . you may need to use a little force carefully on the inner part of bearing. get out the calipers and take a measurement. 48fl. i agree with using what they came with, shhh don't tell anyone i have timken on my 48 spring at the moment.
j ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j ripper View Post
48fl. i agree with using what they came with, shhh don't tell anyone i have timken on my 48 spring at the moment.
Nah, hell if you got it to work then go with it. Just seems this topic comes up every now and then and someone is having trouble with the conversion?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
yard man

Since Your trying to put the timken bearing on a ball bearing neck, do you have timken neck cups in your frame? Or do you have ball bearing cups? There is a difference.

yard man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Stevie Fierce

The neck cups are definitely timken as they are the ones that came with the conversion kit.

the bearings (both are the same inside diameter - i checked) fit perfectly over the stem until it gets to that bump out area. i used a small pipe that fit perfectly over the stem and fit the inside of the bearing and drove the bearing down over the stem. it was a very nice snug fit till it gets to that area. no way its going on.

it seems at this point my options would be to either machine down the problem area on the stem or get the original setup...... i personally dont like the idea of altering an orig 60 year old part to accommodate some taiwan bullshit.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Elvirasguy

If you measure, and the difference is only a couple of thousandths, it is an "interference fit". I heat the bearing in the oven, and quickly drop it on the stem, being sure to seat it, as when it cools a few seconds later, it'll be stuck pretty good. Sometimes I carefully warm the bearing up with a torch, although the oven seems to work better. Be sure the stem is cool.

The bearing ID increases when it is hot, shrinks back to original dimensions when cooled.

Luck to ya!
Elvirasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
choppercopper1

I just did this on my Knuckle. I wish I had stayed with the balls!!!! I had the same problem. I heated the bottom bearing up and put it on my press. NO luck. In the end I wound up putting the bearing on the mill and opening up the ID of it just a hair. Don't forget your bottom dust cover. The small one goes on the bottom. Had to open the the id up as well. After I was done with this problem I had to deal with the top nut not fitting properly. Had to throw the top nut, another tedds product, on the lathe and take some off the bottom so it would fit under the top clamp. I will in the future stay with the ball bearing cups. Good luck!!!!!