v twin frame? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Picklez_84

Default v twin frame?

hey trendsetters..... has anyone seen a new v twin frame?? was wondering if they are a good frame, race frames is now in japan and at 5 grand a pop hard to justify for a non original bike!!! I'm not after v twin dealer opinions or about the frames from 5 years ago. would love to hear from people that have seen or used one recently

cheers crew

ps no offence do v twin dealers
Picklez_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
magnum45pete

Default Re: v twin frame?

''V TWIN'' only sells SHIT, always has and probably always will... don't see why Ted will change his buying policy so I for one would say steer clear of anything he sells or you will be sorry.... but it's your money , do wot ya want !!
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
VonWegener

Pete I assume you have had a bad experience but the new line of frames they came out with last month are very nice. I am sure that you haven't seen one or you wouldn't make such a defamatory statement.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Dave B

Not everthing V-twin is evel knevel. Some things like gas lines ,oil lines etc. are still made in USA. Some are made by the same companies that made the parts for H-D. Some [usually the imported from far east stuff] is way off . Things like primary cover are to be avoided. People badmouth Ted alot but at least he provides some parts to use while you look for NOS stuff. The reputation he gets from his bad parts negate any well made parts. I heard him tell a guy " if the Chinese get it right 50% of the time I'm doing good".
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
old.wrench

It's very fashionable to bash V-Twin.

Unless you have a bone-stock bike, you've probably got some parts on it that can be found in a V-Twin catalog. I'm running a few of their parts myself, and I'm a picky bastard .

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Dave B

Start looking for made in China at the Harley dealer and you won't be happy either. Think of V-Twin as holding down costs of used parts that you need [reducing demand]. Like everything it takes some research and asking first about the products you want. Alot of Custom Chrome , Drag Specialties etc originated at V-Twin , or Dixie Distributors .
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
richbob

5 posts off track already!

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
5 posts off track already!
NO i think Tedd has feffed most on stuff they needed to be right, it goes along with the entire deal and the guys question

i am a tedd dealer and in my shop we do mostly restos and YOU CANT get the stuff anyplace else, not the big pieces but the small little clips screws fhilister unless you want to make them -- the metal is very cheap and mostly if you get it on _ if you get it on and get it tight your a winner unlike the original OEM stuff can be re used 20 times in some cases

i had a long talk with him one on one about the quality of what he sells ( i have a restored winners circle bike in his museum
( http://www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org/ )
and he a couple of years back took interest in bringing in a better line for the antique bunch < believe me they give him the jazz at the events about quality, his new line and i have been buying it couple years now - is the stuff perfect NO does it look the part YEA - holes in the right spot yea the stuff i bought --

the name on the stuff its labeled ( Replica ) is the best to come from him in over 25 years a dealer -

i just put in an order this morning and in a few days i will have all junk hahahahaah hope not -- not sticking up for him but i do this as a living and you need good parts and he is it OR the swap meets that have become money pits
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
VonWegener

Here is the new series V-Twin wishone frame for '48-'51 Panheads. It comes with the seat post, trans plate and axle kit.
You can tell by the pics that they have improved their product. Forged neck and all. Especially the seat post area came out very well.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
gww25

Which frame are you speaking about specifically. I've used some of the repop stock frames recently and they're about as good as what Harley used to produce back in the day which isn't saying much as those frames were pretty bad by today's standards. If you want the fun and excitement of working with the 'old' standards then there's nothing wrong with Tedd's frames. I'd ride one if I didn't have any other options.
gww25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
gww25

Nice snapshots but if see one in person they aren't as nice and some of the 'bends' are way out of 'spec' and the 'fittings' are pretty poor quality compared to factory or aftermarket parts but at least they're building them for a reasonable price and the overall quality is acceptable for a 'rider' frame.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
VonWegener

These frames came out last month GWW25. Have you seen one of them up close? I put one next to my original '52 frame and thought the customer got a great deal.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Gordo-uk

I'm glad this was asked again. Wasn't there a race frame franchise/distributor in the US?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
old.wrench

Pickelz,

I think you've got it right about not caring to hear about experiences with frames from 5 years ago. Who gives a shit?
If you are planning on buying a frame that is being manufactured now, you want to hear from the people that have bought a frame recently and not from the people who never bought one, not even 5 years ago, but they "heard" about them.

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
gww25

We bought one for a specific 'retro' project last month so I'm not sure if it's the latest and greatest but according to our dealer it was supposed to be the cat's meow. If what I got is indeed the latest and greatest then it's not the cat's meow but it's pretty good if you don't want to build one from scratch with some good fittings.
If you really take a detailed look at these frames you'll find a lot of things that are not quite right so to speak compared to an original so they won't pass muster for a real restoration project but most of us just need a close approximation. My only complaint really was with tubes that weren't bent correctly and tubes that appeared to be heated and bent where they intersected a fitting and it make an awkward look.

Last edited by gww25; 11-17-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
Friday

they should sell a frame parts kit , the frame jigs in china *might be stuffed
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
VonWegener

When V-Twin went from the USA manufactured frames from Corbin-Gentry to the Taiwan manufactured line they had a lot of problems as bad as tubes being an 1" out of places. All those frames are gone and the part numbers have been discontinued and what you see in the pics above is the # 51-1200 frame which is the first in a series of new generation rigid frames. They are also more expensive having a suggested retail of 1874.88

Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
richbob

look at this
i saw one spoke to guy(builder owner) he said painted you can not tell from original.
www.vgmotorcycle.com

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Picklez_84

Yea that's it old wrench, my bike is to be a rider it is not a nut and bolt restoration... But I am limited with resources and knowledge where I am so need a frame that isn't gunna need lots of work to build on!! I know ther is a lot of hate headed v twins way, everyone has there reasons I guess.... But I just wanted to hear from people who have actually used one or seen one of theese "new" frames. Cheers everyone for input and keep it comin as for race frames I spoke to te new owner "Lou" and the company has been sold by Steve and is now made in Japan, who's gunna test out the new race frames??? Haha I haven't decided yet, it's a lot of money to build a white trash panhead
Picklez_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
gww25

I really beg to disagree as to 'not being able to tell from the original'. I don't want to be nit picking but there is a lot that does not look original on these frames. First of all is the bend in the wishbones as they attach and leave the backbone and head to the drop-outs. Way wrong bend and way wrong attachment. Secondly are the 'joggles' in the left lower rail as it sweeps up to the drop outs. Again bad joggles and bad dimensions, not to mention that the rail has a slight 'kink' in it as it leaves the axle plate casting. Front wishbones have 'flattening' on the inside of the bends. Backbone brace is kinked where it leaves the neck fitting. You can even see some of these problems in the photo's that were posted. In person some of the 'non-original' things are even more apparent. Then again it's a pretty good frame for a rider at what I think is a reasonable price. The welds are actually very good but the maker didn't bother to do any plug welds thru the fittings so you have to hope that they got a good tight fit into the castings otherwise they'll eventually start to crack out.
Again it comes back to getting what you pay for. A good reproduction restoration quality frame with good fittings will cost you $3500 so what you're getting with this frame has to be a compromise of some sort don't you think?