v twin frame? - Page 6 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #101
bobscogin

Default Re: v twin frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiejantz View Post
This is the problem with a lot of Tedds stuff. The quality control is just not there.
That's true, but it may go beyond quality control. Quality is also controlled by their ability to correctly "reverse engineer" the part. Implementing a system to put every bracket and hole in exactly the right place, every time , isn't going to solve the problem if the place it's being put in every time is the *wrong* place. Sometimes it's hard to discern which is the problem.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #102
takehikes

I don't know a thing about these frames but I do know....we had the original frame plans from HD at AEE Choppers back in the day.
If you added up the allowed tolerances at each mounting location its a miracle anything fits ever. Very sloppy by design it would seem. So I'd cut a little slack to anyone making aftermarket frames since they have to make choices/ assumptions as to locations due to the factory tolerances being so poor.
takehikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #103
ncmc47

I agree. I had one knuckle motor (late 47) that kissed the seat post on 2 differ 47 frames, but another mid 47 motor slid right in. In fact the motor that didn't fit as well wore a hole in the bottom rocker from interference when warm and the action of the valve spring, and that was the frame it left the factory in.
ncmc47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #104
ralphiejantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by takehikes View Post
I don't know a thing about these frames but I do know....we had the original frame plans from HD at AEE Choppers back in the day.
If you added up the allowed tolerances at each mounting location its a miracle anything fits ever. Very sloppy by design it would seem. So I'd cut a little slack to anyone making aftermarket frames since they have to make choices/ assumptions as to locations due to the factory tolerances being so poor.
Yeah the factory tolerances were not tight at all. It is certainly a chore running machining operations and such to get the parts done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmc47 View Post
I agree. I had one knuckle motor (late 47) that kissed the seat post on 2 differ 47 frames, but another mid 47 motor slid right in. In fact the motor that didn't fit as well wore a hole in the bottom rocker from interference when warm and the action of the valve spring, and that was the frame it left the factory in.
I have been through the same exact thing on several occasions with all factory components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
That's true, but it may go beyond quality control. Quality is also controlled by their ability to correctly "reverse engineer" the part. Implementing a system to put every bracket and hole in exactly the right place, every time , isn't going to solve the problem if the place it's being put in every time is the *wrong* place. Sometimes it's hard to discern which is the problem.

Bob
Absolutely Bob, if you start out with shit in the beginning you will get shit in the end.

A lot of people do not realize how hard it is to reverse engineer a product. Every single detail and dimension needs to be accounted for. Me personally this is where a good pattern maker page huge dividends. Its amazing to me how some people use certain methods or techniques to achieve this task.
We have worked with a few different pattern makers on some products we manufacture and its awesome to see the process take place.
Biltwell Inc
Lowbrow Customs
Buchanans Spoke and Rim
Wargasser Speed Shop
Universal Vintage Tires
Paughco
V-Twin MFG.
Fab Kevin
Colony Machine
Morris Magneto
Baker Drivetrain
Boyle Custom Moto Air Cleaners
Andrews
Cycle Electric
ralphiejantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #105
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiejantz View Post
We have worked with a few different pattern makers on some products we manufacture and its awesome to see the process take place.
I'd say you picked the right ones. You guys are turning out some great looking castings.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #106
38ulh

The cases seem to indicate we've decided on a cone shovel for the build.
38ulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #107
Rusty-Shackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38ulh View Post
The cases seem to indicate we've decided on a cone shovel for the build.

Yes, alternator shovelheads are my favorites. I have another thread that documents the build although I have not posted anything on it lately.

This one>>>

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=166513

This is a long term project, no deadlines or commitments.
Rusty-Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #108
ElekVins

Did anybody bought recently a repop knuckle frame from V-twin?
How was it regarding fitment and quality?
ElekVins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #109
VonWegener

Yes I just sold a '38 replica frame to a customer with an ULH motor. He had no complaints and was very happy. Last month a customer got a '47 Bullneck Replica frame and again no complaints.
These frame come with a trans plate bolted in place so that old wife's tail about misaligned bolt holes doesn't fly. There is a motor plate bolted in place and a rod between the axle plates.
I know it is fashionable on the JJ forum to bash V-Twin products especially by guys who haven't even seen or touched a V-Twin frame so I do not know if it is even worth to comment any more but those frames sell for one third of what a comparable original brings at swap meets.

Last edited by VonWegener; 12-06-2016 at 06:05 PM.
VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #110
ElekVins

Thanks VonWegener for your return of experience.
If I'm not mistaking the bullneck you're talking about is part number 51-1947 right?

They write on attributes it's for '46 and early '47.
What's up with late '47 Knuckles? Was there a change in the frame?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #111
VonWegener

Yes there was. The "late" 47 frame looks like it shares a neck with the '48 frame but it doesn't have a bung for the steering dampener in front of the speedo boss. It is a straightleg also but isn't reproduced though.
And you are right on the frame number. 51-1947 for the bullneck.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #112
ElekVins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Yes there was. The "late" 47 frame looks like it shares a neck with the '48 frame but it doesn't have a bung for the steering dampener in front of the speedo boss. It is a straightleg also but isn't reproduced though.
Interesting, so it has a key lock in the neck like a '48?
No surprise why it's not reproduced, it would be a small market if this transition frame was only in use for a couple of months.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #113
farmall

Just throwing this out there, but modern 3D scanning systems can measure parts and generate files for import into CAD. The smaller systems are "just right" for the fittings on (any) motorcycle frame. If someone has the right friends (I don't) in aerospace etc they might scan whole vintage frames. Then you could do image comparison and with the help of a knowledgeable restorer (not me either!) to generate an ideal model. The tech is mature and getting better every year.
There may be enough money in the game to cover development of a vintage part CAD library. It would be a valuable business asset for a frame maker.
I had to drop CAD training for medical reasons or I'd be getting scanner time at my local community college. Most CCs have very little money for consumable supplies (profitable courses pay for necessary but money-losing or neutral courses) and are grateful for useful donations (which are also tax deductible, and you get to estimate the value). Favors for favors make that world go round and interaction with local machine and fab shops is common. If you have a business or shop you can even get on class advisory boards since instructors are grateful for business owners who actually give a shit. You can walk in off the street and meet most industrial program instructors.
You can outsource scanning but for the parts concerned I'd want to be there instead of playing phone/email tag to ensure every detail was correct.
Note that inexpensive low end scanners may not be sufficiently accurate for precision parts.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #114
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElekVins View Post
Interesting, so it has a key lock in the neck like a '48?
No surprise why it's not reproduced, it would be a small market if this transition frame was only in use for a couple of months.
I have one of these frames. Mine has a boss for a lock, but it's not drilled.

I believe you can identify this frame by a "UU" in the right neck casting web.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #115
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know it is fashionable on the JJ forum to bash V-Twin products especially by guys who haven't even seen or touched a V-Twin frame.
I wouldn't say it's fashionable, it's just that the Vtwin frames are made overseas and Vtwin in general has a bad rap for parts that are less than desirable.

Has anyone tried one of the repop frames sold by this guy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGss8EYM...iodpartssupply

He says they're USA Made by an AMCA member and the price is probably inline with the overseas frame? I know where my money would go if I needed a repop frame.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #116
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
Vtwin in general has a bad rap for parts that are less than desirable.

Here we go again. I looked through some 8 pages of the periodpartsguy and he sells swapmeet finds and some pretty nice ones they are for a fair price. Looks like the AMCA member who makes those frames doesn't make that many as it only shows a '48 and a '46 frame which look very nice. $1850 shipped is a hell of a deal.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #117
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here we go again. I looked through some 8 pages of the periodpartsguy and he sells swapmeet finds and some pretty nice ones they are for a fair price. Looks like the AMCA member who makes those frames doesn't make that many as it only shows a '48 and a '46 frame which look very nice. $1850 shipped is a hell of a deal.
It's an old post, I'm curious if the AMCA guy is making them on a regular basis? That is what the plan sounded like.

He is a member here, but I have not seen him around in a long time.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #118
ralphiejantz

Quote:
Yes I just sold a '38 replica frame to a customer with an ULH motor. He had no complaints and was very happy. Last month a customer got a '47 Bullneck Replica frame and again no complaints.
These frame come with a trans plate bolted in place so that old wife's tail about misaligned bolt holes doesn't fly. There is a motor plate bolted in place and a rod between the axle plates.
I know it is fashionable on the JJ forum to bash V-Twin products especially by guys who haven't even seen or touched a V-Twin frame so I do not know if it is even worth to comment any more but those frames sell for one third of what a comparable original brings at swap meets.
Well ask Irish Rich about the Vtwin frame he just got into the shop about a week or so ago

According to him both front motor mount holes are 1/4" off

Its not bashing when its the truth.
Like we all say about their products - sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you get horrible ones, most of the time you get ones where they need a bit of help.

There biggest problem is there is no consistency,
we all know that comes from lack of quality control, if they would just have a little bit of quality control their product line would be so much damn better and the complaints would go down.
Biltwell Inc
Lowbrow Customs
Buchanans Spoke and Rim
Wargasser Speed Shop
Universal Vintage Tires
Paughco
V-Twin MFG.
Fab Kevin
Colony Machine
Morris Magneto
Baker Drivetrain
Boyle Custom Moto Air Cleaners
Andrews
Cycle Electric
ralphiejantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #119
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
I wouldn't say it's fashionable, it's just that the Vtwin frames are made overseas and Vtwin in general has a bad rap for parts that are less than desirable.

He says they're USA Made by an AMCA member and the price is probably inline with the overseas frame? I know where my money would go if I needed a repop frame.
The frames are fucking beautiful. Very correct for year, too... only thing that looks amiss on them is the TIG welding. (No clue why you go to the trouble of brazing, and then use a TIG stinger.)

As far as obtaining one... well, do your homework.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #120
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

I got a V-twin framed panhead through my local CHP VIN inspection officer after telling him it was actually a factory authorized replacement frame, and showing him all the cool factory casting marks.

as we were discussing it.... he agreed with me about what a safety benefit it is, not to have to ride down the freeway on a bunch of stressed out 60 year old metal tubing.

he ended up saying he has no problem with these replacement frames..

Finally found a reasonable CHP officer !! ....and then he fucking retired.

Last edited by Tony the torch; 12-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote