Bicycle brakes on choppers - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-22-2020, 05:50 AM   #21
[JP]

Default Re: Bicycle brakes on choppers

yeh the scenario described above of rear vs front vs both is applied and more than likely the example comes from riding a sports bike.

I used to race and ride sports bikes on the roads at speeds that I won't even mention. the only times I used rear brake was to correct the bike mid corner.
No chance in hell I would be able to stop a sports bike with just a rear brake, centre of gravity is completely different.

on a chop.. you ride it, as Rhys says, with the brain.
Same reason why I wear jeans and a jacket on the chop, and in all my years of riding sport bikes I never went out without full leathers. different type of bikes,different game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #22
richbob

The only problem i found with under-braked bike(eg. classic) was in Italy, where all the Italian fuckwit drivers as soon as they see a gap ahead of you want to overtake at any cost.(brows of hill, blind bends etc.
Normally i leave a good distance between myself and vehicle in front. So its a constant game of dropping back and countless idiots right up your ass dying to get in front even though im matching there speed.

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #23
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Normally i leave a good distance between myself and vehicle in front.
One thing I always been used to do, and maybe that's from back in Portugal everyone drives 10" from the car in front, is to always look 3 or 4 cars ahead.

helps a lot in avoiding sticky situations.

Over here in the UK I live in the middle of the countryside, twisty back roads, not very congested... it's peaceful compared to the big city back home.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #24
joe49

A simple test with friend driving a car with abs, is on a open road with no traffic drive behind him in a different lane by the distance you think is safe thinking ahead distance. At his discretion he panic stops the car. You get to use your plan and test the results. It's likely you will come away a little wiser.
In the service we learned a plan never works past first contact with the enemy, what matters is how quickly you adapt. Which brings me to the plan I made for deer encounters after hitting my second one. Unfortunately the plan left out there being four deer the next time. Bingo got number three and four at the same time.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #25
Apehanger Hank

I had a Triumph 650 with a H-A go kart front disk and caliper. It wouldn't even slow it down but it was good for stopping on a hill.