Trying to find info on an old blog and this motorshop frame bike - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
crazy b

Default Trying to find info on an old blog and this motorshop frame bike

A little back story first. My friend bought this bike down in FL at a swap meet few years ago.

I was always jealous and staring at pics of it. Well he decided he wanted to sell it so I jumped on it. I owned the bike for a while but sold it back to him. It's a real survivor bike, og motorshop frame with a bunch of cool hand made stuff on it. Well then this pic surfaces looks like the bike maybe after it was first completed, it was definitely the bike!

So my question is, does anyone know what the deal is with the watermark in the upper lefthand corner on the back of the guy's vest? Maybe an old blog? Says "the shame of it all" and has two little stencil beared guy logos. It's a picture of a picture so I'm kinda wondering if they have more pics or maybe even know the original builder.

The bike was originally titled in Virginia, Has a Virginia coin in the triple trees and the old picture you can read it's at some kinda speedway in Richmond, VA. Just trying to help tie some history to the bike or at the very least get some pics of the A side of the bike because it may get restored to the photo one day, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
crazy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Default Re: Trying to find info on an old blog and this motorshop frame bike

No help on the history, but tough bike.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
VonWegener

I'm always amazed how a few modifications change the look of a bike. The original bike looks perfect whereas the newer version is just soso and does not display the cool features of the original.
Sorry no help on the blog.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
dusterdude

If it was built in richmond,departure bike works may have had a hand in it or have some info on it.804-231-0244

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
crazy b

thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
I'm always amazed how a few modifications change the look of a bike. The original bike looks perfect whereas the newer version is just soso and does not display the cool features of the original.
Sorry no help on the blog.
Yeah it's still really cool in person, a lot of the stuff is original to the picture. I changed the bars because the bike is extremely short and they were pull backs (kept the og bars) I almost couldn't ride it at 6'1" and my elbows were stil bent haha I agree though, it definitely changed hands at least a few times and had janky stuff done and shitty paint job. I really wanted to knock the bondo out of the neck and see if that cool gusset is still there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
If it was built in richmond,departure bike works may have had a hand in it or have some info on it.804-231-0244

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will check that out!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
joe49

Don't know about your bike. But it is great look, like Oakland Hells Angel Rooster's bike built in '75.

Picture of your bike was in late '80s or later, HOG began in '83 and I think those big patches were around '87.
Maybe some one can shed some light on the sticker on the fork slider.
I think motorshop frames were not windowed in the gusset if yours is solid under the molding it may not be the same bike. Tail light bracket looks different, too.
I'm waiting for more to the story.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I was just talking to Hutch last night about this bike and said it reminded me a lot of Rooster's bike.

Rigid, alloys, big brakes... that bike was built by a guy who liked to fuckin' ride.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
crazy b

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Don't know about your bike. But it is great look, like Oakland Hells Angel Rooster's bike built in '75.

Picture of your bike was in late '80s or later, HOG began in '83 and I think those big patches were around '87.
Maybe some one can shed some light on the sticker on the fork slider.
I think motorshop frames were not windowed in the gusset if yours is solid under the molding it may not be the same bike. Tail light bracket looks different, too.
I'm waiting for more to the story.
good eye on the hog patches, I didn't think about that. It had a clamp on front fender when i got it, there were remnants of a sticker under that.

It's def the same bike, too many parts that are exactly the same. The fork lowers are later 41mm shaved hd they welded tabs on for grimeca calipers. the bars and controls are the same, same wheels, same primary set up, same weird british style brake light housing with a cat's eye lamp in it, same oil cooler and an lines, same voltage reg mounted weird in front of the primary, ect ect. the only major difference I could tell was the oil tank is different and the seat may be different or recovered but there's no A side pic of the bike.

I've never seen another frame with a gusset like that. the way it is now, you can tell it's heavily bondo'd over the gusset area like they just mudded over that part. Someone very talented made the bike for the time, would make sense they'd ad their own touch to the motorshop frame. There were also other mods to the frame like the bottom single tube being flattened out for some reason (maybe clearence it sits LOW) and they added gusseting under the trans plate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
I was just talking to Hutch last night about this bike and said it reminded me a lot of Rooster's bike.

Rigid, alloys, big brakes... that bike was built by a guy who liked to fuckin' ride.
I've had that convo with people before too, it's definitely got that tough/performance vibe and it was a 96ci. I road the shit out of it and it's fun as fuck haha
Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
Apehanger Hank

When we lived in Virginia that bike was sitting on the side of the road between Richmond and Colonial Heights with a "For Sale" sign. When we passed, my wife said that bike is perfect! A real compliment from her as she is a tough critic. However, we had just purchased a house and I had no play money. No use inquiring about the price. I am glad it is still around and in pretty much the same condition. I have no idea who built it, but Departure would be a likely candidate.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:03 AM   #10
Thunderbird

put me in mind of that HA bike straight away, rake,alloysand brake, was that photo from ER mag'?.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:33 AM   #11
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
put me in mind of that HA bike straight away, rake,alloysand brake, was that photo from ER mag'?.

Choppers Magazine

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
FL55

I first saw Rooster's bike in the late 70's early 80's in a bike magazine called "Chopper"
Not "Street Chopper" but "Chopper"

A couple of the editors were Chris Bunch and Alan Cole

Unlike Street Choppers it tended to feature bikes that were definitely built to be ridden

It was a magazine that didn't take itself too seriously, but had a point of view and humorous writing style.

Damn miss that mag
FL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
crazy b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apehanger Hank View Post
When we lived in Virginia that bike was sitting on the side of the road between Richmond and Colonial Heights with a "For Sale" sign. When we passed, my wife said that bike is perfect! A real compliment from her as she is a tough critic. However, we had just purchased a house and I had no play money. No use inquiring about the price. I am glad it is still around and in pretty much the same condition. I have no idea who built it, but Departure would be a likely candidate.

woah that's crazy! wonder how many times it's changed hands, amazing it wasn't made different or parted out.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 AM   #14
Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Choppers Magazine
damndest thing, so ican remember mo'cycles from way back but not a thing I was taught in skool.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
Apehanger Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy b View Post
woah that's crazy! wonder how many times it's changed hands, amazing it wasn't made different or parted out.
I am always amazed when I find one that has only minor changes.