Hallcraft mini disc hub bearing replacement - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
47str8leg

Default Hallcraft mini disc hub bearing replacement

Hello to all I've lurked around here on and off for years but rarely post.
I'm working on a '57 Pan I acquired about 1&1/2 yrs. ago. It has not been registered since 2001.
I've torn it all down and now am finally on the downhill side of the resurrection .
As stated in the header I am in a bit of a conundrum.
I want to change out the front wheel bearings in the hub.
The disc side was easy enough because it is in the machined portion of the hub which is OUTSIDE of the spoked flange and rests up against the lip on the inside ( pencil pointing to the lip.
The spool side however is on the INSIDE of that lip so, it appears to be trapped between both of the lips inside the hub and behind the ( seemingly) crimped chrome cover.
I've tried tapping as firmly as I felt comfortable with without being a hamfisted gorilla both ways to see if I can get some movement. Logic tells me it must come out but I don't see any circlip that can be removed to get it out of there and no feasible way of removing the chrome cover without damageing it .
Any insight is appreciated.
When I figure it out I'll post some pics.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	256040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5859.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	256042   Click image for larger version

Name:	57 chopper.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	256044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 in a 55-57 frame.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	256046  

Last edited by 47str8leg; 01-23-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: pictures
47str8leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
BSATOM

Default Re: Hallcraft mini disc hub bearing replacement

If the chrome beauty ring needs to come off then try a little heat and a padded claw hammer etc. Rant in case you don't know....

Only drive the outer ring and never the inner ring of a sealed bearing. The construction makes it act like an expanding plug when you drive the center. If you have no bearing installation tools then choose a sacrificial socket the correct diameter to use as a driving tool. Put it on a sacrificial extension and drive out/in the bearing. If it still won't budge you can try heating the hub with a heat gun or propane torch. That will expand the hub a thou or so around the bearing. Don't heat so much that the grease smokes though. Just a couple hundred degrees. Hope this helps. Be thoughtful with the application of force and you will be fine. If you install a sealed bearing by driving the inner ring it will ruin the bearing immediately.

Last edited by BSATOM; 01-23-2020 at 02:26 PM.
BSATOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
VonWegener

Yes that cover on the non disc side is crimped on. In fact I had never seen one until your picture. I guess they cannot be removed without harming them hence the missing cover on used swapmeet parts.
They whole thing reminds me of the chrome trim on Stewart Warner gauges. I would call a speedometer shop and ask how they get those off without hurting the chrome ring.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
joe49

I know not how to remove them. But if those are ball bearings I would loose that hub and get a hub with timkens.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Maybe not what you wanted to read, but a good insurance policy in case yours gets fuckered:

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...42&postcount=7
Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
47str8leg

I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I don't think the bearing is frozen in place , it seems to be trapped where it can't come out even if I do free it up.
The pencil is pointing to a lip that prevents the bearing from going in too far on the disc side. That same lip is on the opposite side holding the bearing inside the spoked area.
So seemingly , it's trapped where, even when it gets loose , it still can't be removed.
Logic dictates that this can't be but I don't see a circlip or anything on either side that I can pull out that would allow the necessary room to remove it.
I'm going to check today and see if I can make out the number on the trapped bearing bearing to see if they are the same .
I would think they wouldn't make it so you would have to destroy the chrome cover to get it out.
When I get it figured out I will post it up.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
47str8leg

Gov't Mule . I will read through that link when I get a chance.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
47str8leg

Well, that went better than expected.
As I blasted the bearing out with a drift it the bearing jettisoned that press fit chrome cap right off there !
Doesn't look any worse for the wear and tear lol !
I let you know how it goes back on !
Old 01-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
VonWegener

I'm happy for you. These tiny Hallcraft hubs are so neat. All designed in the interest of looking show bike cool.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Elektron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
I'm happy for you. These tiny Hallcraft hubs are so neat. All designed in the interest of looking show bike cool.

I have a complete drum front brake Hallcraft wheel in the 'for-sale' section, cheep! A period look for your period bike. I don't look at the site 3 times a day, so if you're interested, please have a bit of patience.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
47str8leg

Put the bearings in the freezer than installed the brake side first with appropriate sized socket to drive it in. Other side behind that chrome cap is much less forgiving in using the socket method . I gingerly tapped it in enough to get it snug with a smaller socket ( on the out side of the bearing ) , than I layed the old bearing on top of the new one to give me some clearance , put a 1/2" extension into a socket turned upside down on that extension ( to create an even flat surface with a centerpoint for the hammer to hit) and drove it in. Afterwards gently tapped the press fit chrome cover back on with a rubber hammer.
That chrome covers internal dimension is slightly over 1&1/8" .