33mm fork questions - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
GONZO

I’m trying to put together a 33mm front end for my shovel. I found a set of mcm fc1 fork covers I want to run but they aren’t large enough to slide over the top of my fork legs. The lower legs have a cap on top for a fork seal I assume, can I remove that cap and would it be possible to seal them that way? Or I have found some lower legs that don’t appear to have this on top, maybe that is the better option? I’d like to know what the difference is? Been searching everything I can think of and can’t find any info so any help would be appreciated! I’ll include a couple pics. First is the fork legs I have and second is of a set I found that looks like it would fit under the covers. Thanks, Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BBF5B20-C1D1-4312-8144-82AB8C369CD4_1579665322151.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	256032   Click image for larger version

Name:	403CCEC8-1646-478B-AD15-DEE3A796250F_1579665472728.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	256034  

Last edited by GONZO; 01-21-2020 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Needed to add to post
GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
dbkp

Default Re: 33mm fork questions

The first pic is of the 71-72 lowers which had a fork seal. That is what the ring or cap at the top is for. The also had different internals and a different size bolt hole in the bottom. The 2nd pic is of basically the 52-70 sliders. These had no seals, so the factory used the accordion fork boots with a vent at the top so the oil film on the tubes would be contained somewhat and dust would be kept out. Notice that there is a little press in lip at the top to help retain the rubber boot. If you use these older sliders with the internals for the other newer sliders you will have to modify the bolt hole at the bottom to accommodate the later style bolt.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
GONZO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkp View Post
The first pic is of the 71-72 lowers which had a fork seal. That is what the ring or cap at the top is for. The also had different internals and a different size bolt hole in the bottom. The 2nd pic is of basically the 52-70 sliders. These had no seals, so the factory used the accordion fork boots with a vent at the top so the oil film on the tubes would be contained somewhat and dust would be kept out. Notice that there is a little press in lip at the top to help retain the rubber boot. If you use these older sliders with the internals for the other newer sliders you will have to modify the bolt hole at the bottom to accommodate the later style bolt.
Gotcha, thanks for that! Is the bolt on the bottom a different size? Would have to enlarge the hole? Already have the internals for the later leg but could find the older ones I guess and do it that way
GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Tim The Grim

Default Re: 33mm fork questions

These might help too...

http://harleykmodel.com/phpBB3/viewt...=Sliders#p6667

http://harleykmodel.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1177