Jockey Journal Forum banner

41 el

33K views 270 replies 33 participants last post by  rhysmort 
#1 ·
So, as most of you probably don't know I've always been chasing a knuckle. Ever since I started riding old bikes I wanted a knuckle. This wasn't obtainable with the costs here in the UK, for me anyway, I mean it's a lot of money to drop for anybody, but here in the UK I only know of a very few people who have one.

I had the opportunity to get my hands on a 41EL, engine is rebuilt, frame is mint OEM and a springer. It arrived last Tuesday and I've been beavering away on it ever since.

Frame was raw metal and rusty, dressed a lot of the bronze and some joints down as they must have not cared about expense and just thrown it on there haha.

Dressed, tidied, zinc primer, better quality primer, 5 coats of black.

I'll add a few photos to this as I go along, I've kind of documented it, but with a little help I've put a lot of it together ready to final tighten etc since Thursday night.

Works to be done; Genny install, Sissy bar mount needs moving, exhausts, front end, wiring, mag needs a little work.

All of the above minus the mag is due to waiting on parts!

Thank you,

Rhys

See less See more
#6 ·
Done some more to her today.

I forgot how much I loathe getting fenders to fit, sit flush, sit centrally and just be a ball ache. Got my P pad bolted down. Sissy cross brace needs a little work to make her fit.

I gave the pipes a try on too.. very happy with them! all 60's survivor stuff.

Rhys

#10 ·
Did you say this just arrived last Tuesday?

Damn, you're moving fast and making great progress.

Love the white seat and p/pad.
I started messing with it physically on Thursday! I'm studying for my final exams too so it's not like I've been on it non stop!

Yeah, had to go with white, going to get some old white waffle grips to finish it!!

#9 ·
Very nice, rhys!

So you're not gonna get into the engine, or not far in? I guess you know & trust the PO, huh? Anyway: nice find, good purchase, I'm happy for your good fortune.

Does this make three bikes you've got -- the pan & flathead & now this -- or just two?

#11 ·
Thanks man!

Flatty will be parting ways with me shortly, unfortunately I'm not that financially able to keep both, as much as I'd love to of course!!

The engine has been fully rebuilt by Dan 'Bacon' Carr, builds solid motors, and has ZERO miles on it! Should be fun running her in!

Panhead was sold a few years back, again, would have loved to keep her but I needed cash to fund other things! Doesn't help I've just bought a house mind you!!

#18 ·
Have exams this week so a little slow on the old uptake. I'm waiting on small parts now like bearing races, oil couplings etc, so can't make any more progress. Have a few little bits to put right, move the petcock as it doesn't fit with the engine top mount, braise a little hole in my rear pipe where somebody in the 60's held it tight with a spring. P-pad needs a little jigging.

Timed the mag last night and had to go through the gruelling procedure of doing a tooth a time, with the reg boss in place it's literally one tooth that allows it to fit @ 45 degrees.

Put the front end on to see what it's going to look like, also pic of my tank art!

Rhys

#23 ·

Not much of an update, the sissy bar, wasn't meant for a 19" wheel, so spent more hours than should have been needed cutting a section from the cross brace, heating, bending the metal remaining, cutting and bending a piece to weld on top, dressing it, to clear tyre etc etc! Front wheel also turned up, it's a WW1 Jones rim, in very good condition! purchased it from Guy of greasy kulture. Going to look great on the bike!

#24 ·
After 5!!! hours of cutting, bending and heating, finally got the sissy bolted up, :banghead:

It's sitting flush and all straight is what I find is the dark art with these!! at last. Waiting on parts now to finish her. Should be with me in the next week so I can get her bolted up and take her for a spin!!

#26 ·
Thanks man!

The tank, you can't see here, has been on a wall in texas forever, the paint is chipped and a bit rusty, so I just had some art on her and clearcoated!! couldn't bring myself to fix it!!

#30 ·
Update time;

Not a great deal to physically look at, I'm waiting on oi line fittings, bearings cups, races, and a few other small bits which will get her finished! not had the bike in my possession two weeks yet, so really shouldn't moan it's not done!! **Impatient as shit as this is the first one I've put together fully myself**

So, fitted the fuel line and petcock, had the old man help me tap and drill out the tank to relocate petcock, as I'm running the brake rod backwards, installed the switch on the chain side, nestled by my fender off the rear tranny mount bolt. Started looking at putting my headlight bracket together, going to need to turn something down, thread it and get to some welding for the bracket.

Only issue I've ran into so far per se, is my rear wheel isn't trued, a real ball ache and not one of my strengths, any tips much needed and appreciated.

Few snaps of her as she sits.

Rhys

#31 ·
Gorgeous. Congrats on building your dream bike!

This is not meant as a snipe- lots of folks run them like that- but why not lean the sissy bar back to match the fork angle? I’ve seen a lot that are straight vertical or even tipped forward and I don’t get it.

I would love to hear why that angle? And your bike is so well done and considered with a nod to history and classic good taste I’m sure you did it on purpose not just because it holds up s short fender.

Thanks and again congrats it’s sooo nice

#32 ·
Gorgeous. Congrats on building your dream bike!

This is not meant as a snipe- lots of folks run them like that- but why not lean the sissy bar back to match the fork angle? I've seen a lot that are straight vertical or even tipped forward and I don't get it.

I would love to hear why that angle? And your bike is so well done and considered with a nod to history and classic good taste I'm sure you did it on purpose not just because it holds up s short fender.

Thanks and again congrats it's sooo nice
Thanks for the kind words dude, appreciate it. I've given this bike a huge nod to the 50's/60's. Re the sissy. It's partially down to personal preference, and partially that I tend to ride long trips when I go away on my bikes, I've had less than any luck with a leaned back or terd style sissy, I can strap all my shit to a 90 degree one without issue. It's more aestherically correct for me, I match my risers to my forks and like to run my bars vertical too.. Soooo long winded answer, it works better for what I've always used, and I don't like leaned back sissy's I don't see they serve a purpose, nothing more, probably less than vertical does! :)

Rhys

#33 ·
now I would have been happy with the flat head but the knuckle is just another step beyond.
do the rear wheel truing the poor mans way, strip the tyre and then tweak when back in frame, loosen and tighten 360 deg opposite. left to right on adjacent side of the rim, give spokes ring test to ensure all equal tension. slowly. slowly catchy monkey. use zip ties to indicate which way you're going, before too long you'll be doing your own wheel rebuilds.

#35 ·
As one 41 Nuck EL owner to another. Looks good. Glad to see a young man from across the ocean, interested in the iron that I grew up with. Nothing better in life than a chopped Knucklehead.
A couple of things tho.It looks like an original oil pump , I would go with a shovelhead oil pump. Yes a shovelhead brings it's own problems but, having more than enough pressure , verses not enough with a original pump,( been down that road ) is something that is easily fixed. Also don't forget to use ZDDP for your engine and trany.It puts the level of Phosphorus and zinc back to the levels required in the older Harley engines for lubrication. Especially the Knuck. When they came out with catalytic converters. They found the high level of Zinc and Phos. were clogging the converters. So the vehicle MFg's got the oil co to reduce the amounts so the vehicles would pass emissions. Hence no more of the lubrications needed for the older engines. Can cause alot of damage to your engine.1st pic: why sissy bars are bent. 2nd pic: way it looked when I grew up. 3rd pic: My 41 and no, oil pressure gauge no longer mounted like this. New it would break wanted to see how long it would take , 2 miles. Eyes aren't as good. got a green lettered gauge can see alot better, flush mounted now. Color of bike changes in sunlight has about 5 different colors. Still kicking and riding choppers.

Attachments

#36 ·
Good afternoon sir! thank you for the kinds words, I also love the pictures, unfortunately the world has moved on so the people who like said bikes especially in Europe are far fewer between. Don't get me wrong there's a few good shows and it brings 1000's of people from all over the European breadth.

Re the oil and pump, I've ran a few of the old ones, rebuilt they're not terrible, but with the oil I hear ya, I've bought some good stuff to keep her all well oiled and fresh.

It should be almost complete by the end of this coming week! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.