Jockey Journal Forum banner

Anyone here transport there bike In a uhaul?

4K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Ducbsa 
#1 ·
I have a couple of problems I'm trying to figure out before I head down to Texas tomorrow to pik up my bike.im flying into Dallas to pick it up then have to got to Austin to register it then drive back to Denver Colorado.a couple of unforseen things have changed some of my plans(i dislocated my big toe grappling so i am on one leg)my local uhaul manager told me he would be able to get me a trailer one way,long story short the Texas uhaul store called me today last minute and told me nogo on the trailer.so now all I have is the 14 foot cargo truck with no tie downs.this is my first bike and I don't feel good about it in the back of there but have no other options at the moment.my plan is to build a big wooden platform to put some cleats on it with some cross anchors.cory of main drive cycles said he would help me out(thnx Cory) the plan is just to wing something once I get there.if anyone has pulled this off and has a good idea I'm down to hear about it cuz I'm stressing out.any info would be appreciated.thnx

#2 ·
Ride the fu#%in thing, thats what there for... Rode from NY to DC with a broken ancle in a cast & crutches bungeed to the sissy bar, Rigid i might ad, & that was so i didn't miss the run to the wall !!! I figured they had it a bit harder over there & that i was bein a pussy if i didn't go with my brothers. Suck it up & ride, you'll never forget it !!!

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah I feel ya on that.guess I should have said that I am going to Texas also to pick up some of our remaining possessions in Austin so riding is not an option.im crazy busy right now and Cannot afford to make a return trip any time soon...trying to kill three birds with one stone.
You do have me thinking about it slim!

#4 ·
Make some L shape blocks out of 2x4's and sandwich the tires with them. Almost all trucks got some kinda tie down thing. If not, Get a couple big ass hooks that have a decent thread (like a lag bolt) on them and put them in the floor of the truck, most likely the floor is wood. Use those hooks for your ratchet straps. Get crafty. 25 bucks for a set of 4 straps and 2x4's are free.

SF to New Orleans without any damage to either motorcycle.

#5 · (Edited)
Yep, spend the money and get some straps, push the front wheel into a corner of the uhaul slide the rear tire towards the cab wall and start strapping it down. Mine didn't move at all, I checked it on occasion while on the road and never had any issues. 6-8 straps where used.

the other option is since it is only a jacked up toe tape it up and put some steel toes on and ride it like your original plan. If you grapple then your use to training with injuries all the time, a simple toe is easy to deal with. I ride my knuckle with crack/dislocated ribs, taped up ankles from straight ankle locks, dilocated or jammed fingers, the list goes on and on...a toe...lol should be pretty easy to overcome.

#6 · (Edited)
Thnx those are some good ideas..yeah it's not so much the toe,I can handle that.it was just trying to get multiple things handled on one trip.funds are tight right now!
I'm heading to a store now to get some good solid straps and a couple of soft ones
I have to tow it to Austin for sure cuz I have to register it there and I also have to take my motorcycle class to get my liscense before I head off.im looking into a friend storing my crap for another six months and riding the bike back after dropping off truck after I get titled.

#9 ·
Rent a passenger van. It's cheaper than a cargo van and it will conceal any damage the bike and you do. Remove the the second and third row seats and rug. Drill some holes through the floor for some bolt eyelets to attach your tie downs. If you're neat about it, they'll suspect nothing, and you'll be long gone by the time they discover any holes and dents in the floor pan. Don't ask how I know this, but it has worked for several long distance hauls.

#20 ·
I've done it twice. Once with two bikes from Phx to Minneapolis, and once with a single bike from Phx to WI. I don't remember having a problem finding tie down points, you just have to get a little creative.

Don't mention the cargo to the rental place. Check the load at the first stop.

#21 ·
I've put plenty of bikes in plenty of U-Hauls. For short trips, I prefer them to vans, because it's a lot easier to get bikes in and out, and the 14 foot and up trucks have built-in ramps.

If you have a tow rig, the landscaping trailers beat everything. They're super-easy to load and have tons of tie-down points.

Built a wood frame once for a cross-continental trip, but otherwise, I've just tied 'em down in place. Not ideal, but it works just fine.

Bikes are easy. Cars... less so...

(Possible, though. Definitely possible.)

#22 ·
I've used a U-haul trailer before. I drilled a hole in each corner, put in eyebolts. I took a Pingel wheel chock and used conduit straps to secure it to the floor with sheetrock screws. Tied it all down, No problem. Before I took it back I filled the holes with grey caulk, since the floor was grey you could not see what I had done unless you looked closely, and they never do.

#23 ·
I have hauled bikes in a u-haul truck twice, both times I drilled four holes two in the front of bike and two at back of bike at each corner and put eye hook bolts in and bolted them down. 4 straps per bike. I had three bikes in one truck at once. it works great, just dont mention it to uhaul and dont leave any evidence of it when u return the truck.

#25 ·
RetroRob said:
Dont tell the rental co. Your hauling a motorcycle or they won't rent u the truck.
Maybe there's something to that considering three out of five guys here are advising modifying THEIR truck without telling them.

Moving bikes in trucks seems automatic. There's always a way. Hard to imagine there being enough meat in it for a discussion board thread, but the Internet always provides. . .

Jason

#26 ·
Bike is strapped in and doin good.i really didn't want to start a thread for it but this is my first bike and it took me three years start to Finnish.iwas pretty sure it would be fine but still wanted to hear from some peeps that had done it before.last thing I wanted was for it to take a dump back there before I got to ride it more then once.id be pissed at myself for not asking advice
Moderators you can crush this thread anytime. Thnx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.