78 Bonneville reincarnation... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
msdg137

Default 78 Bonneville reincarnation...

I bought this bike as a hardtailed roller with a motor in the frame and a truck bed full of parts... The owner claimed to have years of previous experience building and restoring bikes and talked a good talk... The bike told the truth however, the bike was hardtailed using existing swingarm pieces, and looked ugly but functional... The bike came with 4 sets of bars, 3 sets of risers, 3 sets of controls, 2 sets of foot pegs, 6 amal carbs and 2 mikunis, 2 gas tanks, hacked triumph fenders, a box full of chopped spaghetti wiring harness, a sparto tailight, a "bates" solo seat (italian knockoff) a handful of body parts, and a bushel of random Harley parts...

I found that the 6 amal carbs actually only contained enough parts to make two functional carbs... The mikunis that were "jetted" for the bike actually contained no jets, the top O-ring was sitting in the slide and the throttle cable was epoxied to prevent leaks... The owner suggested that I lathe the rotors to remove the surface rust and assured me that the motor had just been gone through valves adjusted etc. The title was dated 2006 and the last inspection was 1992 the odometer read 8k miles.

Normally I wouldve laughed and walked away but something drew me in... The bike was a basket case much like myself and needed to be raised from the ashes.

I soon found the batman gusseted hardtail was only tacked together and filled with enormous amounts of mighty putty, RIP Billy Mays. (The mighty putty didnt even fully cure) The hardtail was snapped off the frame with a large crescent wrench. The bike I had planned on riding within a month became a long term project.

The bike was designed around a LaFrance copper and brass fire extinguisher made in my hometown some 50/60 years ago. The fire extinguisher would eventually become a mock oil tank used for storage and electronics.
The criteria were:
Reliable
British Twin
Hardtail
Bobber
Drag bars
Black
Different
Fun

And so it began...

Harley drag bars found on ebay with grips, master cyl, and braided cables for $35 shipped
Alligator embossed seat with copper chopper shox from mother road customs.

Mystery Blem Hardtail found on ebay for $165 shipped. Was sold as is, not sure the stretch. It was not square and needed to be heated and bent straight but It saved me a couple bucks.

More mysteries... The kickstand was ground off and the bike is scarred all over, forks, frame, body parts. The tank was dented from an impact to the handlebars and neck tube leading me to believe that the bike suffered an impact and was rolled.

First time running... Well sort of... The harness and old ignition were shredded so I Just installed a boyer microdigital. I found that the previous owner did engine work as well as he hardtailed motorcycles. The valves had about 1/2 an inch of clearnace causing the right exhaust pushrod to fall off the rocker.

Thats all I have time for tonight...
To be continued...
msdg137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
model-a-fan

Default Re: 78 Bonneville reincarnation...

Video was great. Reminds me of my garage pals. (Just less hair) ;0)
model-a-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Hans Bier

Somehow the video reminds me on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_5pbcTvNk
Hans Bier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
msdg137

Yeah pardon the hair It looks better when Im not wearing a hat lol. (hat keeps oil/tranny fluid out of my hair and keeps me from rolling over it with the creeper :P )
I have more to the story as the bike will be on the road in the next week, knock on wood...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
msdg137

As she sits now... Buel rear brake and master, clearcoated bare metal for this season... Soon to be wired up with a killswitch and a kickstand wired with a relay to turn off the lights while kicking. The bike will run with the killswitch on and the lights will turn on when the kickstand is up. The starter button will be used to kill the engine while the killswitch will be used to disconnect the electrical to trow people off who hop on and kick it.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
msdg137

Gettin closer... Timed it the other night and took it for a spin. New Tubes tires and wheel bearings.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
servi53

major improvement over the opening pic, much better
servi53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
BongHitMike

Looks sweet, now just ride the shit out of it.
BongHitMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Bills50

It does look much better...how was the ride?
Bill
Bills50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
msdg137

Ride was just around the property lol I want to make sure my brake brackets and all my hardware is secure before I hit highway speeds. Hopefully in the next week Ill have her roaming between the lakes. I plan to run about 500 + miles a week on her. I tend to ride until the salt hits the roads. Ill post some riding vids when the time comes!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
reverb

...finally some one who s not affraid to run a Triumph long distances!

-I have a similar project witha 79 but with a splitted head
seems that you have a splitted too (older head)
I wanna put K&N filters (circular) but I dont know exactly wich one (offset or centered assembly...)
can you post more closer pictures?

keep on going
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
msdg137

Im keeping the pics at a distance so far lol. Yeah Ill show you some pics of the carb setup too. I have offset oval cone style filters and the offset pankake style filters. I Chose the pancakes for clearance reasons. The filters had to be offset away from the OIF for clearance and appropriate looks.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
Loffer

Looks good, I like the position of the tail on that oif frame. Looks kinda dropseat like.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobber, bonneville, chopper, hardtail, triumph