Xlch 1968 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > New? Introduce yourself here!

Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Gilles1973

Default Xlch 1968

I inherited a 1968 XLCH which has been standing idle for almost 25 years. I am pretty sure the bike was running when put into storage.
I would like to revive it but unsure how to go around. What I already remarked there is still petrol in the tank, suppose I will need to drain it and clean the tank, what would be the best approach.
I can get the bike in first gear but when lifting the shifter towards second (or third or fourth gear) I can actually role the bike so feels much like neutral. When pulling the clutch I feel a lot of resistance. Any suggestion what the cause might be.
How should I diagnose the bike, try to fire it up? How should I prepare for this? What precautions should I take to avoid ruining the engine?

Any suggestions of reference to literature would be more then welcome!

Gilles
Gilles1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
ElekVins

Default Re: Xlch 1968

Hello Gilles! welcome aboard.
This section is for doin' your intro, who you are, what's your bike(s), why you come here, etc...
Once you've done your intro, for technical info you'll have a lot more help and answers in the main Board: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

XLCH 1968 is a great bike, I just picked up a 1967 myself.
If you're not a mechanic yourself, maybe you should get the help of an experienced mechanic to start the bike and do a tune up.
Several members here are from Belgium.
But off course you can do it yourself, buy the manual for your year and model and a good US tool box is the first step.
ElekVins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ironhead, kickstart, restauration, sportser, xlch