Jockey Journal Forum banner

Bit of an off the wall topic.

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Truckedup 
#1 ·
What's Grammasol? found this in the back of the garage and can't remember what it is for although I do seem to remember it was auto related. Not sure about the spelling grammasol? , clear fluid in a plain plastic container. Was it used as a degreaser, ali' etcher, tar remover off paint? Tried to google with no result and at the least I need to know how to dispose of safely. Thanks

#4 ·
that's all I have, plastic container with sharpie 'Grammasol' written on it, Closest I come up with is Gramosol which is used in spray booths ; I haven't worked as a professional sprayer in almost 40 years and things were not that sophisticated back then. Maybe I'll try a gardening forum, 8) thanks.

#5 ·
If it's for gardening it won't likely burn. If it's for spraying it's highly likely to ignite and will dispose of itself when lit. Alternate option if it smells like solvent, leave it out to evaporate and discard the inert residue. We did that with waste paint when I was in the Air Force because if you painted something with it that object could be disposed of as inert but the liquid is classified as HazMat.

#6 ·
OK, thanks. JJ is getting quiet enough without it turning to horticulture or other m/c unrelated topics,
Before I get banned and to get things back on track; on this looong term project which do JJ'rs think is best position for the tank, A,B or C. Very subtle differences but as you know that makes all the difference to the stance. ps and looking ay it with new eyes that rear fender looks too long?

Attachments

#7 ·
Sheece. Tough question! I guess I like #2 (tank farthest forward) the best, but they all look real good.

The fender is just right, classic; any (well, much) shorter and it might look a bit silly.

I covet that motorcycle.

#11 · (Edited)
Consider making the bitch bar parallel with the front forks which neatly (almost) parallel the center post. Shortening the fender would work well with that, too. That gives three "lines" at close to the same angle with this /// subtle visual effect.

Agree on ditching the goofy bars which look tryhard on most anything.

That's already a very cool machine. Tweaking will perfect it.

If there's a reasonably convenient way to replace the lower front fuel tank mount tabs with something hidden by the tank that would flatter the tank shape. The less busy that area looks the better.

#14 ·
Me too. I'd call it perfect. Did you (RB) post a build thread on the JJ, or are there opportunities to ogle that bike somewhere else that you'd be willing to share?

Sorry about the sideways drift in your Grammasol thread, Thunderbird!

#17 ·
all interesting stuff; yes, I've gone with the tank being forward as suggested.

I get twitched about vertical sissy bars, they just don't do it for me, although Farmall I will give some more thought to the 3 lines suggestion, started me thinking is this stuff all like classical architecture where all features that please are at a specified ratio? nah, m/c's are too individual.

The length of the fender was in consideration of not having a skunk streak up my back and yes I know there is no front fender. Also, not quiet happy with the radius but at the moment it has a sprung hub and I'm allowing for 2" of travel if this turns out to be a pain I have QR hub that I will replace it with.

Richbob; don't know about the belt primary I thought it was a BDL but I think some while ago and it may have been you, said nope it wasn't. However I did implement your idea with the oil seal on the output motor mainshaft , which totally threw me when I was cranking the motor over to get the oil to circulate, I kept hearing this squeak/ chirping sound, I thought feck I've got a broken piston ring but it's the seal running a little dry.

Z bars I love em' and always wanted a bike with a pair, thought I had the perfect set, right amount of pullback and 6" rise but they are 1" bought and never got round to fitting to a long gone pan so these in the photo will do for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.