Jockey Journal Forum banner

Painting tins

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  GaryC. 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to paint some tins with House of Kolor products.
The MSD sheets and ingredient warnings have seriously caught my attention. Polyisocyanates in the urethane hardener, for example. Very scary stuff.
Is there another brand that would be good for a non-pro, that doesn't have such nasty stuff in it?
Thanks for any info.

#4 · (Edited)
The duplicolor system has good candy tones and you can put metalflake in the clear. It comes prethinned and needs a lot of coats but you cannot screw it up and fixing flaws is easy.
As a plus over time it will also die like lacquer does giving you those cool cracks etc.
Another tip if you want to shoot Metalflake wait for Harbor freight to have a sale ($9.95) on their purple paint gun and use them to paint metalflake. You can drill out the jets for Bass boat flake and there is no need to clean up. You just throw it away.

#7 ·
Now the next step before you apply the next coat of primer or final paint. Look for the recoating window on the spray can and follow those instructions. Also you need to sand that primer coat before applying the next coat.
I don't know about the dupli color primer whether it is enamel or lacquer so it would be a good idea to paint a test panel with that primer to see if your final color coat is compatible with that primer. The test panel is always a good idea whatever your next step will be. Have fun Gary!

#11 ·
Detailed instructions are on the cans for their system, will hafta maybe print it off their website. Didn't use the rattle can version, I got a quart can.
Have a Craftsman compressor and gravity feed gun.
Yes, It looks like the HVLP gun would be the way to go, no waste.

#12 ·
Oh and I did get a real good respirator mask from a paint store. It has cartridges that were in a sealed bag, and also smaller ones that clip on top of those, to stop particulates.
It won't stop the isocyanates though.
Looking around on the net, the best info I found about that issue was that you should be completely overed, head to toe, and using a positive pressure air system.
That's a bit much for the average home hobbyist, so I guess I'll stick with the lacquer way for now.

#13 ·
I will look and see which respirator I use.
I paint daily.

It hasnt aff-ff-ff-ff-ected me a bit.

What I have seen of isocyanate issues are with old painters who did it for years unmasked, developed a sensitivity to it, and can no longer paint without a good mask. Just a whiff and they get what would appear to be a hard asthma attack. I wear my mask!

By all means, do what you think is best for you.

#14 ·
You will love the HLVP gun. The spray is so confined you nearly do not have to hang plastic sheets over your workbank etc. And the purple Harbor Freight gun is as good as any gun that is 10 times more expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.