Jockey Journal Forum banner

Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

1M views 3K replies 270 participants last post by  JOHN HANSON 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a new thread I am starting dedicated to Nitro Fuel Drag Bikes. If you were involved with a Top Fuel or Junior Fuel Motorcycle team in the 50s, 60s, 70s and up to 1994 (25 years ago) we invite you to join in and share some of your memories. Or, if you didn't belong to a team but share our passion please join in too. There are other threads here on drag racing so let's keep this about "Nitro". My first fuel bike was an A/F Harley back in 1969. My last was the twin-engine Harley "Freight Train" that I retired in 1985. I will be sharing many fond and a few not so fond memories. This video was filmed in '83 and '84. The opening burnout was me and "The Freight Train" at the 1983 IHRA Spring Nationals in Bristol Tennesee. That was back when Top Fuel Motorcycles were occasionally invited to join in with the cars in a special T/F Motorcycle class. The rest of the video was filmed by my wife and is a little shakey at times but a treasure to me since it is the only film I have of my 21 year motorcycle drag racing career. For some of you it will be the first time you have seen a T/F Motorcycle started on rollers. I hope you enjoy.

#316 · (Edited)
1979 - My Year Racing Top Fuel Motorcycles Part 6

Some of you have wondered why I have not posted another installment in a couple weeks. It is because I can't rely on my memory alone to be factual on my first IDBA National event at Memphis. When I can locate a write-up on that race I will then be able to check my memory for any errors. In the meantime here is a picture sent to me recently from Jackie Hill that she took at Farmington just after the '79 Memphis race. It shows how many Fuel Bikes Jim Turner booked in at his Farmington North Carolina races. Turner would call us out to the starting line for rider introductions just before the first round. We tried unsuccessfully to remember who the 8th rider (missing in picture) was but couldn't. I believe it was John Dixon because we were match racing him on his Chevy V-8 bike that year.

#318 ·
Hi all. Lovin this thread. This is my 1st post on this forum and I figured this a good one to start with. I was at a local hill climb / dirt drags this weekend and stumbled apon this and thought of this thread. While not of the same caliber of some of the bikes here it was still pretty cool to see one in person

click on the picture below for a quick video

#320 ·
Cali-chopper, you are probably correct and hopefully some will be discovered.

nefareous, thanks.

YZman, now there are a couple retirees having a ball. No rocking chairs for them!

And Joe, thanks for enlarging Jackie's picture.

#321 · (Edited)
You might find these AMDRA National Records lists interesting. The first list is from 1970, many set at the first Bowling Green Ky. race. The second list is from 1971 and lists Boris Murray's historic Bowling Green run that we have had so many posts about. You may also notice that 2 new classes were added for '71, one in Fuel and one in Gas. Also note that Danny Johnson took the B/SB record away from Ray Price in '71. But Ray was busy at work creating the Funny Bike class. What is puzzling to me is the fact I don't remember Johnson ever racing a Street Bike after going Fuel Bike racing. But records don't lie!

#322 · (Edited)
Frank...
This is the letter we talked about that I received from Dwain Taylor, reflecting on some of the races we had in the very early 60's. I wasn't able to get my hands on the pictures easily. I will keep looking for them though...

Dusty:

If you find an old picture of the Deuce you may not recognize it, because it was rebuilt twice and the pictures you have are version #2 & #3. You may not remember what it looked like after all these years. The final version was done in 1962 and was the one that really ran. I am sorry I don't have a single picture of it. It was black in color and had a Whizzer motor bike fuel tank.The problem with #2 (fuel) was traction. We just could not get enough. #3 had three things done to help it with this that completely changed its appearance. It was shortened, it was lightened and the exhaust system was changed. To shorten it, the frame center down tube between the two engines was removed, and the forward engine was raised way up and moved to the front to the point where the bottom of the front engine carbs were above the exhaust pipes on the rear engine. When finished it was only about 3 inches longer than a stock one engine bike. To lighten it, every part was inspected to see how weight could safely be removed. Everything was drilled full of holes, even the inside of almost every bolt was drilled out from the bottom on the lathe. I can't remember the final weight, but I do remember it weighed 38 pounds less when finished, and very little more than a stock bike with one engine. The exhaust pipes on the front engine were turned out (no megaphones) at the end, and the rear engine pipes were turned in and down toward the ground directly in front to the rear tire so as to blow dirt and dust off the pavement. This was VERY effective. I did my best to get enough weight shift to the rear to make it stand up, so we could use a much lighter 400X18 slick instead of the 500X16. I was unable to do this and it would still spin about half way through the quarter. #2 usually ran in the upper 9s and lower 140s, and I believe it was the first motorcycle ever to run in the 9s. #3 would almost always run in the lower 9s at about 150. I never worked for more speed at the end, ET is what wins drag races. Grandma finally ran in the lower 10s and the lower 130s. The Deuce won very few events simply because Grandma always won, and there was seldon a class for the Deuce. The strips would pay us to run the Deuce for show. They always wanted to pit the Deuce against the sling shot rails, and we could out run many of the gas rails and some of the fuel burners. We could not handle the fastest ones. We could always beat them off the line, and the best ones would catch us at or very near the finish line, so here was Billy running 150 MPH with the rails running 180 or more passing him at the end with the parachute popping out in front of him. It didn't seem to bother Billy, but I became afraid and put a stop to it.

As to the Parasite. John Melniszuk was probably the most meticulas mechanic I ever knew. The Parasite had more very careful fit and finish than the factory would have done. It was imulacute from one end to the other, and it seemed to always run good. He also entered several bikes in the Daytona 200. They were built with the same care, but I don't remember any of them doing anything outstanding. The story about how the Parasite got its name is inaccurate because it ran for some time with one engine, and was named the Parasite then. Grandma never ran against it because he was on gas and Grandma was on fuel. I only saw him at Daytona, and because the AMA had a strict rule against running out of class either up or down in the early years AMA sanctioned drags at Daytona had no top eliminator runs, and they NEVER had any decent clocks. The very first time the Deuce was ever run on a drag strip was in Daytona in I think 1960. It was on gas and had several bugs in it. For one thing, I had connected the two kill terminals on the magnetos to a common kill switch. We ran it in Albany on the highway and it miss fired. (no drag strip in Albany then) I tinkered with it and it seemed to correct the problem, but when we arrived in Daytona it started again, and the Parasite showed up with two engines. Although Grandma won the open fuel class and our street bike won the street class the Deuce lost to the Parasite. When we were back in Albany it didn't take long to find out the connector between the mags was causing the misfire, but it was too late then. This was the only time we ever ran against the Parasite. I watched it in the motorcycle press for several years and it would have been a very interesting run between the Parasite on gas and Grandma on fuel. The Parasite was faster at the end, but Grandma was quicker on ET, and ET is what wins drag races. It would have been no contest between the Deuce on fuel and the Parasite on gas because the Deuce was a full second quicker than Grandma.

It would be interesting if you could locate The Deuce. Lots of luck with it.

Dwain

Below is a picture of Dwain at his house in Albany GA. at our 45 year reunion March of 2008. compare this picture of him with the photo on page 16, post # 312, picture on left.....

Attachments

#323 · (Edited)
Here is "Hogslayer", hands down the best footage on "Old School" Fuel Bike racing I have seen. It has just been released. This is an 8 minute trailer on the full documentary/movie in production about TC Christenson and his famous Twin Engine Norton. Joe, you are one of the greats in it. John Dixon, you too. Most of the footage is at Bowling Green. Now, you will understand why that track is sacred ground to those of us who were there. I can hardly wait for the full feature. Until then enjoy this. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrdXSyVg1UU.

#325 ·
I was very interested to see the footage of Hogslayer. John Gregory sent me the details of the trailer, and Jim Cutting has done a tremendous job producing this film.
Seeing the film from Bowling Green makes me sad that I never made it over to the track, after John invited me to come along with the team.:(
At least I did get to see this truly innovative machine race several times, including the first 8 second run in Europe, and the bike's first 7 second runs.
Looking forward to seeing the completed production.

#324 ·
Frank...
Thanks for posting the video on the "Hog Slayer". I have never seen it run, but several years ago it was at the "Lake O' The Pines" Texas Norton get together. Actually it was for the sendoff for Johnny Allen's Triumph LSR bike, "The Texas Ceegar". It had been destroyed in a fire at the museum in England, and they sent it back to Texas to be rebuilt. It was on display there, and I believe it was loaded the next day to return to England. The Hog Slayer was there, but I never did find out who was with it. I was hoping T.C. was there, but I never did see him...

Dusty

#329 ·
Who mentioned Don Garlits?

At a very impressionable age, Don was responsible for my first interest in drag racing back in 1964 when he came to England, heading the NHRA team.

Alf Hagon was the first big name in drag bikes in England, but in the course of writing my book on drag bike racing in Britain, Alf told me that it was Don Garlits who had given him good pointers on supercharging and timing. Blowers were something of a black art back then - but what better guy to ask!

#330 · (Edited)
Here are two giants in the drag racing world. The one to the left is of course Boris Murray. The one interviewing him is Jon "The Voice of Drag Racing" Lundburg. Lundburg was one of the first "for hire" drag racing announcers and called many of the early major events in the '50s-'60s. This photo is from the '97 Reunion. Jon is truly a living encyclopedia on drag racing. I last talked with him at the 2010 NHRA Winternationals earlier this year.

#332 ·
For me personally, that is the most awesome Fuel Bike of all time. Any time I was matched with him in eliminations I had almost no chance. He ran 199.55 on it in I believe 1977 and it was 6 or 7 years later before Elmer was the first to go 200.

#334 · (Edited)
The last time I saw Russ was at the '97 Fuel Bike Reunion. That's him with the red and black shirt and black shorts. He said he had "The Sorcerer" apart but was going to get it back together. A couple years ago I heard he had an offer from the original crew to get it running again. But his wife had a fit. She supported him at the races, even when he was almost killed, but did not want to go there again. As pointed out here before the triple he destroyed is a coffee table and a constant reminder to her of how close she came to losing him. In my opinion he should get it back together, maybe not running for her sake, but together on display so those who have never seen it can. It is truly a mechanical work of art.

#338 · (Edited)
Here you are Yags, the ones I can identify: From left, Chris Rasile, Dave Campos, Jim Milsted, Jerry Cox, Mel Blair, Bill Chambers, Willy Gregory, Frank Spittle, Ray Price, TC Christenson, Arno St Denis (blue cap), Russ Collins, Larry Welch, Wanda Johnson, John Gregory, Danny Johnson, Boris Murray, Larry Mc Bride, Bo O'brochta, and on the end not sure.

We had a Friday evening gala not open to the public. It was the first time I had seen many in nearly 20 years, some longer. Russ said the same. One heartwarming moment was when Collins spoke and told Larry Welch he was his (Collins) hero. Welch had been out of racing for over 20 years and you could tell he was moved by Russ' statement. Then, Collins looked at Boris, Dave, Danny, TC and said they were too. "You are the ones I aspired to be before I joined you." It was one of the most memorable evenings of my life.

#339 · (Edited)
Here is some interesting reading about British Fuel Bike racers from back in the day with comments from the racers and historians who lived those days including our own Keith Lee. I stumbled across it searching for Danny Johnson info. I am not surprised the British fans and racers came to be his admirers and friends. It is a lengthy write-up but very enjoyable.www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/roger/phillips_03.html

#340 ·
Here is some interesting reading about British Fuel Bike racers from back in the day with comments from the racers and historians who lived them including our own Keith Lee. I stumbled across it searching for Danny Johnson info. I am not surprised the British fans and racers came to be his admirers and friends. It is a lengthy write-up but very enjoyable.www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/roger/phillips_03.html
It is a great site Frank. I have been writing a blog on there charting the book I have been writing. I am very pleased that I now have the first advanced copy in my hands, after a long wait. The book is a first in this country, and covers the first 20 years of the sport in the UK.
Danny is featured on the front cover, alongside TC. Many more American racers are pictured inside.
I have attached a photo of my wife Annie looking through the contents.

If you click on the link to the publisher, Veloce, there is an option to download some sample PDF pages. Featured among the pictures are Marion Owens and Kenny Annesley.
http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/produc...rs&PHPSESSID=91a49cd4df578cf1757cadc4fe936b40

Attachments

#342 ·
Frank, I would be very pleased if you were the first American customer for my book.
I am not sending out books myself, as it is done through bookshops and online, but I would happily arrange something for someone who is so passionately involved in preserving this era of the sport.

Will PM you.

#344 ·
I'm very pleased that my book is going to make it Down Under, even though you stole one of our most promising drag racers when Pete Allen emigrated to Australia.:)
There is a picture of Pete sat on his double Triumph in the book that I took back in 1967, before he went on to smash all the bike records in Australia. The amazing Moonraker machine he also piloted is featured as well - a bike that created a big impression in its day.
Hope you enjoy the read as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Regards,
Keith

#345 ·
Has anyone seen this bike run. I've had the picture for quite a while in my collection. I also have the cutaway view/blueprint type drawing. It is known as the Triumph Cyclotron. It was used first for drag racing, as you can see by the slick. Then the article states he is planning on going to Bonneville for the LSR record. He is from England and his name is Freddie Cooper. Interesting article.....

Dusty

#346 ·
Has anyone seen this bike run. I've had the picture for quite a while in my collection. I also have the cutaway view/blueprint type drawing. It is known as the Triumph Cyclotron. It was used first for drag racing, as you can see by the slick. Then the article states he is planning on going to Bonneville for the LSR record. He is from England and his name is Freddie Cooper. Interesting article.....

Dusty
I remember the bike Dusty, and I know I have the same article somewhere in my collection. Fred was more a sprinter and record breaker than a drag racer, and used to run a quick 500 Triumph previously. Incidentally, he died early this year at the age of 84.
As with most twin engined bikes, they take a lot of work, and it took a while for it to hit the hoped for speeds. I believe it hit the 200mph mark in the early seventies, but Alf Hagon had already run 206mph some years earlier on a one-way attempt.
Had the bike immediately gone very quickly, maybe sponsorship would have happened for the Bonneville attempt; but backing is hard to come by at the best of times over here, so the attempt never happened.

#347 · (Edited)
Thanks Lee, for the short note on Fred Cooper...We all hate to see the pioneers in this sport passing away. I have enclosed a picture I took at the NTNOA meet at Lake O' The Pines in East Texas, back several years ago. The hog slayer is in front, and Johnny Allen's Streamliner in the background. The Streamliner bike was getting ready to be returned to England to the museum it was in that was destroyed by fire. The boys over there shipped it back here to be restored. It was leaving the next day. That was a bunch of History right there not 20' apart. BTW Johnny claimed that he got his Bonneville in '58, a full year before they went on the market. He passed away in '95 and I often wondered what happened to it.

Dusty

Attachments