Jockey Journal Forum banner

Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

1M views 3K replies 270 participants last post by  JOHN HANSON 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a new thread I am starting dedicated to Nitro Fuel Drag Bikes. If you were involved with a Top Fuel or Junior Fuel Motorcycle team in the 50s, 60s, 70s and up to 1994 (25 years ago) we invite you to join in and share some of your memories. Or, if you didn't belong to a team but share our passion please join in too. There are other threads here on drag racing so let's keep this about "Nitro". My first fuel bike was an A/F Harley back in 1969. My last was the twin-engine Harley "Freight Train" that I retired in 1985. I will be sharing many fond and a few not so fond memories. This video was filmed in '83 and '84. The opening burnout was me and "The Freight Train" at the 1983 IHRA Spring Nationals in Bristol Tennesee. That was back when Top Fuel Motorcycles were occasionally invited to join in with the cars in a special T/F Motorcycle class. The rest of the video was filmed by my wife and is a little shakey at times but a treasure to me since it is the only film I have of my 21 year motorcycle drag racing career. For some of you it will be the first time you have seen a T/F Motorcycle started on rollers. I hope you enjoy.

#276 ·
Keith,

This list is for all multi-engine British Fuel Bikes. There were probably as many built outside the USA. The only requirement is NITRO and at least 50%. It is my opinion any less than 50% it would not have been competitive in the Fuel ranks but that is just my opinion. As you can see the list has not reached a dozen bikes so far.

Joe,

Those are two great bikes you posted. It looks like the twin engine Triumph is also supercharged. Awesome bike!

#278 · (Edited)
Frank...
This single engine blown fuel Triumph is from England, and I'm not sure if it ever raced in the states or not. It is an interesting design tho' with the carburaters down close to the track. Included is a short write up from the guy's in England..

The Mcoy Weslake Triumph Fuel dragbike better known as Rouge et Noir 2. In 1975 Keith Parnell was the first European to break the 9 second 1/4 mile barrier with an 8.93 second pass. He was riding his original bike Rouge et Noir however at this level of performance she was beginning to get very much out of shape. During the winter of 75 /76 ReN2 was built by the Mcoy Dynamics team Made up of Keith, Angus Mcphail and Mick hand. Both Ag and Mick were both accomplished drag racers in there own right. Keith ran the bike in 1976 but unfortunately crashed badly at Santa pod. While he was recovering the boys rebuilt the bike and Mick rode it for a while the bike was on display at Keith's Kawa dealership in Cornwall for a few years only to return to the track at the 1999 classic bike sprint where Keith was guest of honor.

Attachments

#279 ·
Keith never raced the bikes in America.
The original Rouge et Noir was a great racer, and I was pleased to be trackside to photograph that first 8 second run.
Rouge et Noir 2 was bought off Keith by Phil Steele, who had the bike reworked and now runs it at NSA sprint meetings. The racing picture you attached is with Phil riding the bike.

#280 ·
Here are some more Brit powered Nitro burning Multi engine bikes to add to the list (dates are the best info I have regarding when the bikes set their highest speeds and quickest ETs
Alan Mavor's triple engine Norton built by Performance Cycle of Metairie ,Louisiana ( ,170 mph 8.4 ET date ??(apparently chassis problems meant all the power couldnt get to the ground) .
"TwoFaced" Peter Williams (UK),A twin engine pre unit Triumph 1300cc 141 mph 10.21 ET in 1968
Warren Affleck ( Australia) purchaced the ex Sonny Routt fueller and raced it downunder- 167 mph 8.30 ET 1978
"Pegasus"-Ian Messenger ( with Derek Chinn ,Mick Butler) (UK)supercharged dual Norton 178 mph 8.3 ET 1978
"Olympus II"- John Hobbs (UK) dual Triumph 155.28 mph 9.16 ET 1974
"The Hobbit" -John Hobbs (UK)Blown dual Weslake 168.9 mph 8.07 ET 1979
"Double Dutch"-Ton Pels (Netherlands) dual triumph mph ?? ET ?? 1979
"Double Dutch" -Ton Pels (Netherlands) Dual Puma (aftermarket UK manufacturer) mph ?? ET ?? 1988
Norman Hyde (UK) Dual blown triumph Trident (not sure if this was a nitro bike mph??? ET ??? date ???)
There were quite a few Australian Multi engine brit drag bikes from the 60's & 70's but cant be sure how many were Nitro fuelled same with New Zealand
To anyone in the know, feel free to make corrections or add data
Cheers R

#281 ·
To everyone,

In keeping with the VINTAGE title of this thread I feel it is necessary to limit the lists of British multi-engine Fuel Bikes to ones powered by British motorcycle manufacturers....Triumph, Norton, BSA, Matchless etc and raced at least 25 years ago. This year that is 1985 and back to the '50s when nitro was first used in motorcycle drag racing. Each year it will move up a year. With that in mind I will update the list as new information is confirmed. This is in no way excluding the aftermarket engine powered Fuel Bikes. With your help I will compile a separate list for them after British, Harley and I-4 lists are completed. There were dozens of Harleys built but the I-4 multi-engine Fuel Bike list will be short. Collins, Ahlfeldt and Davis are all that come to mind.

Ridinghood, I can't believe I did not think about Alan Mavor's bike. I guess since it did not have two engines threw me off. Did you know T.C. was also working on a triple engine Norton when more than two engines were banned? I should ask him if that played a part in him retiring.

#312 ·
To everyone,

In keeping with the VINTAGE title of this thread I feel it is necessary to limit the lists of British multi-engine Fuel Bikes to ones powered by British motorcycle manufacturers....Triumph, Norton, BSA, Matchless etc and raced at least 25 years ago. This year that is 1985 and back to the '50s...
Ouch. That's the year I graduated high school. I still feel like a kid (albeit with a bad back, and joints that hurt winter and fall); comments like this just don't help keep up the illusion.

chucky,

I look forward to seeing you post pictures of that side by side double Triumph.

thecarfarmer,

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the other 15 pages.
Each and every one of 'em (even if they do make me feel like an old, balding, middle-aged man).

-Bill

#283 · (Edited)
Before I start the list of multi-engine Harleys I am going to list the names of the ones I remember in about the order they were built:

Danny Johnson---Goliath One and Two
Jim Preisler
Dave Campos
Joe Smith
Al Charlier
Carl Ahlfeldt
Marion Owens---At least three bikes
Dick Prime
Joe Thronson
Danny Cooper
Dave Caldwell
Warren Plating
Elmer Trett---At least two bikes
Bonnie Truett
Mike/Jack Romine
Steve Ruggiero
John Mancuso
Tater Gilmore---At least two bikes

There are other bikes I remember but can not pull up the owner/riders names from my memory and some of their bikes changed owners and are remembered that way. I would like to document the bikes built with the original owners/builders and who they were sold to. I am sure some of you can add to this list. Roland Stuart had a Gas double but I can't remember if he switched it to nitro before he built the "Sayonara" T/F Bike.

#286 ·
I have come up with several more Harley multi-engine Fuel Bikes and have added to the list. Danny Cooper was the last Bowling Green winner on a multi-engine Fuel Bike. The year was 1977. Some time later Cooper was testing his new fuel injection system on his Harley and the throttle stuck wide open. He is the only double Harley rider I know of who lost his life on one.

#287 ·
When we had Pete and Jackie Hill as honorees at the drag racer reunion back in May I found out that Jackie was scheduled for hip replacement surgery in July and Pete for knee replacement in August. I am pleased to report that Jackie is recouperating nicely. I talked with Pete yesterday and he had DOUBLE knee replacement (really gruesome) two weeks ago and is going through theraphy but doing good. He should be home next week. He missed his annual ride to Bonneville this year but hopes to go back in '11. I hope I can get out there next year too. These are two of the nicest motorcyclist in the world.

#290 · (Edited)
RidingHood,

I have not asked TC if he bought it but do know he would not agree to sell "The Hog Slayer" until he had a contract to purchase the triple so I personally believe he now owns it. To the best of my knowledge TC has not had it running since acquiring it.

#289 ·
I'll see If my buddy will let me take some shots of his twin engined Nitro Triumph. It came from the US recently (to Australia) It's a "side by side" supercharged twin engine setup. It is an absolute work of art!

There is a sad story in that Donny finally got in touch with the guy who built it, I think his name was Arno....I can't quite remember and he spoke to his wife; she said "Oh he'll be so excited to know his old machine is being used it'll make his day". The next day he died before the two could talk.....sad :(

#291 ·
This is my old Friend Sonny Razlaski (RIP) better know as "The World's Quickest and Fastest Pollack"...This is back in "The Day" at Irwindale Raceway...Left to right is the Manager of Irwindale Mel Reck, Sonny and Gordon Kateley...

He getting a congrat from Mel for Winning AA/Fuel Bike on this Saturday Night...

#295 ·
Granddaddy Joe,

I see a few "strange" hoses on Sonny's bike. Injection?

That bike to the left, behind Mel, looks to be yours?

Mike
Yea Mike, Sonny was one of the first to play around with a Hilborn Injection set up and yea that's early King Rat setting there...

#297 ·
Here is the short list of 4 cylinder multi-engine Fuel Bikes that I remember. This does not include the gas doubles. The next list will be for aftermarket motored multi-engines:

"The Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe" Triple Honda. Russ Collins
"The Sorcerer" Double Honda Russ Collins
"Orange Crush" Double Kawasaki Carl Ahlfeldt
Bob Davis Triple Kawasaki

#298 ·
He was one of the brave men to ride "THE FREIGHT TRAIN". A twin harley engine NITRO bike at over 190 mph. Ride free Randy !!!

BELMONT - Randy Kent Milling, 59, died Aug. 30, 2010, at home after a lengthy battle with cancer.

He was a native of Charlotte, son of Melvin Craig and Viola Ferguson Milling of Belmont.

Randy was a member of First Wesleyan Church, a U.S. Army veteran having served in Germany and a member of Gastonia Masonic Lodge #369. He was the former owner of Lowell Marine Service and later employed at New Hope Marine in Gastonia and most recently at Carolina Performance Marine in Charlotte. Not only was Randy an avid hunter, outdoorsman and motorcycle enthusiast, he was a loving husband, father, grandfather, son and brother who will be greatly missed.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by his wife, Linda McCulloch Milling; sons, Kenny Milling of Charlotte, Shane Goble and wife Ashley of Gas-tonia, Jason Goble and wife Trish of Belmont; sister, Kay Nidiffer of Kannapolis; grandchildren, Ryley Goble of Belmont, Morgan Milling of Charlotte; brothers and sister-in-law, John C. McCulloch of Cape Carteret, Sam McCulloch and wife Terri of Gastonia and niece, Stephanie Dettmar of Kannapolis.

Visitation will be held from 7 until 9 pm, Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at McLean Funeral Directors of Gastonia and other times at the home, 130 Willerene Drive, Belmont.

Funeral service will be held 1 p.m. Thursday at First Wesleyan Church, Gastonia, with Pastor Tim Smith officiating.

Interment will follow in Gaston Memorial Park with Masonic Rites by Gastonia Lodge #369.

Condolences may be sent online at www.mcleanfuneral.com.

McLean Funeral Directors of Gastonia is serving the Milling family.

Published in Gaston Gazette on August 31, 2010

#299 ·
gearheadchoppers,

Thanks for posting Randy Milling's obit. I just returned from his funeral. He was the last person to ride "The Freight Train" in competition....about 20 years ago. He rode it for T-Bird Yelton, who I sold it to after I retired and who still owns it.

#301 ·
That is quite some engineering Keith. I don't have a clue who it was but will guess John Hobbs. I believe that 8.02 was the second fastest recording ever for a British multi-engine Fuel Bike behind Christenson's string of high 7s. Do you know of any quicker?

#308 ·
There is a nice write-up on Boris Murray and his awesome twin engine Triumph in the October issue of Cycle World written by Cook Neilson who was the editor of the magazine when Murray was racing it back in the '70s. Neilson was also a T/F Harley pilot at the same time and described looking at Murray's smoking slick/front end in the air up close and personal. It has that famous picture and some others as well. Good reading!

#315 · (Edited)
I have mentioned on a previous post that Danny Johnson went from being an AMDRA T/F Motorcycle rookie in 1968 to National Champion in 1970. He gave me this picture sometime in 1971 showing the #1 plate. You should take the time to click on the attachment a couple times to blow it up and look at the attention to detail (and comedy) on this bike. You will see a rat in a graveyard with a shovel next to a grave marker with two initials. You can probably figure out whose name it represents. It's really funny since the guy built the frame. Danny always had beautiful looking bikes as well as beautifully running bikes.