Jockey Journal Forum banner

show me your flat trackers and desert racers

675K views 1K replies 302 participants last post by  46KNUCK 
#1 ·
Bobbers, bobbers, bobbers- choppers, choppers, choppers! Don't get me wrong; I run a bobber myself but there is a world of other bikes out there that are the coolest fuckin things in the world.

Like for instance the trackmaster in this months Dice- I defy anyone to tell me that isnt the coolest bike. I only bought my Triumph cos I saw one that was trying to be a trackmaster and then the guy who owned that bike went and bought himself a real trackmaster- what a beast.

So show me your flat trackers and desert racers.

#262 ·
Malcom Smith and his first motorcycle.
Wow.....what a great pic, of a true pioneer & living legend...

Bio - http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=91

"At 15, Smith sold his scooter and bought a real dirt bike, a Matchless. One minor problem for Smith, who was small for his age, was that he couldn't kick-start the big thumper. He would have to start at the top of an incline and coast downhill to start the bike."

"Smith's first taste of competition was at a local hare scrambles race in Riverside, California. He rode his 1953 Matchless to the race and figured that in order to race he would need to hold the throttle wide open.

"We entered the first turn and I just stayed on the throttle and ended up knocking a bunch of people down. I can vividly recall seeing a chain right next to my face with the rear wheel going around. I got up from that crash and crashed about 13 more times and ended up second place. Going home I started thinking, 'If I wasn't laying on the ground so much I could have won that race.' The next month I went back determined to ride my ability and I did win the race that time." "

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#264 ·
Heres my 68 Firebird Scrambler, I didnt wanna stray away from what BSA had perfected too much, here are before and after pics. I got her for $750 and the final was 300 man hours later. I like her alot rides like a dream and very comfortable. Hindsight, I shoulda kept the high pipes they were perfect, live and learn!

#269 ·
#271 ·
Some more info on the gamble racer photos above:

Pics from the track at Kawaguchi, on the outskirts of Tokyo.
These guys make serious money, and the tuning skills have evolved accordingly. Meguro made an almost exact copy of the two-piece Triumph for use by the gamble racers. Mods included cams which could be switched without splitting the cases, a stronger crank which is adjustable for balancing! That is, heavy screws are threaded vertically into the flywheel, allowing the riders/tuners to adjust the amount of flywheel effect to suit track conditions. The riders also made their own carb needles on tiny lathes, tuned the engine's performance using different weight valve springs, etc. The single-cylinder blue bike is a Japanese-made Kyokuto, oil pump driven off the cam, total-loss oil system. Many of the early gamble racers were British bikes which were then copied and modified by Meguro. Later they used their own engines such as the HKS and, recently, the Suzuki.
Those interested in the arcane world of the gamble racers might want to read, 'The Zen Masters of Motorcycle Racing.'
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/Jan/050111k.htm

#272 ·
Here's a few more pics of 'Fireman' (the name on the tank). The bikes run 2-speed gearboxes.

#274 ·
Buddy Elmore's Triumph in it's last permutation as a TT racer. This bike was 6th at Daytona in '65, the year before he won on a factory ride. Built by Jack Wilson when it was still Dahlio's in Dallas. Based on a 59 5T.
Robbie