506K views 1K replies 378 participants last post by  Ratso 
#1 ·
enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
Another from www.shorpy.com

Gettin' some skills to pay the bills...

April 1942. De Land pool aircraft construction class. Secretaries, housewives, waitresses, women from all over Central Florida are learning war work. Typical are those above in the Daytona Beach branch of the Volusia County Vocational School. Left to right are Helen Cook, a former county courthouse clerk with a brother in the Army; Ethel Chandler, whose husband is an Army lieutenant; Martha Adams, former nurse and now a housewife; Fannie Branum, housewife; Mabel McClintock, secretary and daughter of a retired Army officer; and Patricia Blair, a housewife with a brother in the Air Corps.

#51 · (Edited)
uh....did anyone watch that video

a few quotes
"he's a real throttle snapper"
"you mind if i have the pleasure of his company"
"were gonna take a ride out to the country"
"try and stay within five feet of me"
"your gonna feel my breath on the back of your neck"

...WTF...over!!??

that might be one of the gay-est strings of dialog i've EVER heard!

#42 ·
My grandfather had these in one of his old albums we found after he passed away a few months back. These were taken in early 1940s and are pictures of his cousins from Morgan Hill,Ca. Im not sure if this is Hollister, I didn think they started racing there until after the war, but this was somewhere in the Gilroy area. Something about a 40s triumph that makes it look timeless.

#44 ·
Awesome. Please scan the rest of these if you've got more.

My grandfather had these in one of his old albums we found after he passed away a few months back. These were taking in early 1940 and are pictures of his cousins from Morgan Hill,Ca. Im not sure if this is Hollister, I didn think they started racing there until after the war, but these are somewhere in the Gilroy area. Something about a 40s triumph that makes it look timeless.

#48 ·
I went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art yesterday. It was opening day for the exhibition of Jack Kerouac's original manuscript of "On The Road". Because of the size of the work, written on a couple long, unbroken rolls of telegraph paper, they could only display one section at a time. It was impressive. That book changed my life, no doubt. It was paired with a selection of photographs by Robert Frank, with whom Kerouac collaborated on a couple projects in the 50's. Frank is most famous for his collection Les Americains originally published in <st1:country-region><st1>:place>France</st1>:place></st1:country-region>. His work is very reminiscent of Danny Lyon though not as single minded as "The Bikeriders". Here's a couple of hardcore bikers captured by Frank here in Naptown.
<o>:p> </o>:p>

<o>:p> </o>:p>
It's a bit of a local mystery who these two were, but don't they look fine?<o>:p></o>:p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.