Jockey Journal Forum banner

Norton Model 99

19K views 146 replies 18 participants last post by  Ratso 
#1 ·
Looks like I don't know when enough is enough...
A friend of mine is getting ready to move back to England and decided to sell some of the machinery he has collected over the years. I took a ride down to his place the other night and pulled the trigger on a heap of metal that used to be a Norton Model 99 Dominator. I have wanted one for years and what with me having a soft spot for the "snortin' Norton", thought it would make a good addition to go along with my '69 Commando and '48 ES2. When this one is done I will probably have to sell one of my other machines to make room, help pay for the work and lessen my work load in terms of maintenance. I won't get too jiggy with it until later in the year, but here's what I have so far:

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
Thanks for the interesting running commentary on repairs you see needing to be done. I suspect I'll never own a Norton, but seeing/hearing the work involved, it gives me info to be filed-away, in-case I ever need to recall it. I once was offered an early '70's Commando, which appeared to be in decent cosmetic condition, and it ran, I rode it. However, the bike wasn't for me at the time.

One of my cousins in WNY owned an Atlas, back in the mid-'60's. I don't have much info on his ownership, I didn't speak to him much, though we lived about an hour-apart. It was really-before I had much experience with bikes and about the time I earned driving privileges.

About reclaiming the chrome, you posted earlier. I've had good success using NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) as a blasting media. It seems to get into all the tiny pits, it doesn't texture the metal, and it doesn't appear to stay-behind. I've heard-of the aluminum foil trick, but I haven't used it to change the looks because of more-pronounced pitting. I do have some chromed header pipes which need refurbishment, I was thinking of getting a Jet Hot coating done on them, and I'm considering taking them to a chrome shop I've used, to remove the remaining chrome, before they go to the Jet Hot business. The chrome shop isn't cheap, even for removing the chrome. I think that would give the Jet Hot the best chance of longevity though.

If you have any experience in that area, please PM me, thanks.

#58 · (Edited)
I've heard great things in regard to soda blasting although I've never used it....maybe one of these days. :)

"Jet hot", I had to look that up....that's a ceramic coating right? I know a good buddy of mine who has had a couple of hot rod headers done...not as pretty as chrome, but it does resemble polished aluminum and has stood up well over the past few years. You're probably right about removing the old chrome before coating...I have had some bad experience with having exhaust pipes rechromed, but I blame the local jokers for not preparing the metal properly before rechroming....I haven't used them in years, usually cheaper to just buy new ones. Anyhoo, best of luck! :)

#60 ·
I've been looking for a decent set of those little Norton handlebar clamps ever since I started this project and although they are available, the cost is downright ridiculous....no way I'm shelling out over $100.00 for two ounces of metal. Anyhow, I got some inspiration from one of the other guys on this forum who has been machining a lot of items lately (talking about you Mike). While waiting for paint to cure, I dug around in my scrap heap and found a nice chunk of 1 x 4 aluminum flatbar; thought I could make a nice set of handlebar clamps out of it. Got busy with the lathe and the buffer. The result is a set of nice shiny clamps. They resemble the standard Norton clamps, although they are are a little 'beefier'...I think I'm going to keep them. I know they don't look like much, but they represent over two hours work.

Attachments

#66 ·
Your BSA project has given me some extra inspiration, many thanks for that! I'm trying to keep this bike looking fairly original, but i'm not stuck on that to the point where I stop myself from having a little fun...I've been fiddling around with some more machined items and replacement fabrications. I'll post photos later on.

#68 ·
Awesome. Makes me happy that i gave ya a little push. My favorite is custom made parts that look like they might be original. When someone notices you made it you know they are a true enthusiast. Kind of weeds out the spectators from the builders at shows and events. When im all done im excited to see how many people will recognize my dime a dozen sporty front end thats been worked over to look british 😁

#69 ·
Some more progress this week. I started the week off by fitting the inner primary cover and getting the clutch cleaned up and ready for use. My son, who is out of work thanks to all this Covid 19 stuff, came out yesterday and we did a lot of tinkering. I wanted to show him a few simple machining procedures, so with a little instruction, he turned out some sleeves for the alternator stator bolts, a couple of spacers for the headlight and he helped me fit the clutch and primary drive set up. He learns fast, I only wish he had shown some interest in this stuff when he was a kid. Prior to that I had fabricated a replacement battery shelf to replace the rusted out bit of scrap that was left and three nice polished aluminum plugs for the rear hubcap....I like 'em so much, I may have to make a set for the Commando too. :) To finish the week off, I set the ignition timing and cut and adjusted the final drive chain.

Attachments

#70 ·
Hey, Goldy, whatta you think of this Atlas? I like it for its understatement. That is: It's little bit gaudy here and there, but mostly it looks like a well cleaned up near-stocker. (Yeah, I realize that the look probably took a hell of a lot of work and cash to achieve.)

Anyway: Hope you like it, and that this post and pic are not seriously O.T.

Attachments

#72 · (Edited)
I like it!
Not what I'll be going for on this build, but I have done stuff like this since the mid 1970's. Actually, this style of machine is usually less costly to build than a restoration, unless you go for all the expensive bells and whistles (belt drive primary, aluminum rims etc). The riding position can be increadibly uncomfortable too...I've found ways around that over the years. No front fender at all...that's illegal in these parts and uncomfortable if you get caught in the rain....it never rains in Nova Scotia. LOL! :D

#73 ·
The carbs and manifolds are missing from this project, so I thought it would be fun to make my own. I don't like the way the carbs sit at about an 18 degree angle on the engine, so I thought I would try to come up with something that holds the carbs a little closer to the horizontal. Got busy with a chunk of 1" aluminum flat stock and machined a 15 degree wedge out of it. Then cut out the basic shape with the bandsaw. Bored holes in the appropriate locations, then cut out a plate from 3/8" flat stock and cut and bored it to match. Bolted them up, filed them smooth then hit them with the buffer. The result holds the carbs at about a three degree angle (much like the Commando). Here's what I came up with:

Attachments

#74 ·
Dang. That's big thinking applied to (sort of) small stuff. Really nice result, G.

Was your objection to the stock manifold angle purely in terms of looks, or do you envisage a functional improvement as well?

#75 ·
inspiring work Goldy and showing people are only limited by their imagination, in your case the reigns are off.
i'm not familiar with the Model 99 but like Ratso i'm curios as to the thinking behind the manifold angle and also Bert Hopwood's original reasoning; is it all just aesthetics ?

#76 ·
I think the original idea was to give the inconing air/ fuel charge a straighter shot at the intake valve, but I've always questioned whether the carb could atomize the fuel properly when it's sitting at that angle...plus I worry about fuel washing the cylinders down at start up and causing premature wear on the piston rings and cylinders. I've seen the results of fuel washing a few times over the years...it can ruin a newly rebuilt engine in very short order. When it comes to aesthetics...well, I suppose that is the root of my reasoning, but there is also a little method to my madness. :)

#77 ·
gotta say I agree in part wth fuel washing but then a properly tuned motor ought to start in one or two kicks ( Ha!, did I really just say that?) when I was a know nuthin sprog the amount of easy start I used to spray around as an answer to any starting issue must have sent shares in the co' stratospheric.
Regarding the angle of 'attack' of the fuel charge I always refer to my well thumbed copy of PE Irvings Tuning For Speed, the less corners a charge has to turn the better.

#80 ·
Got a few more things done since the last posting. Straghtened and polished the front fender struts, then got the front and rear fenders in place. Straightened out most of the kinks in the number plate bracket and fitted a new/ old tail light. Straightened and painted the brake pedal, then machined up a new ss brake rod and adjuster nut...it all seems to fit like it should. After that I decided to drag out an old Triumph chain guard I had been saving for a rainy day. Turned out the main bracket fitted perfectly over the rear shock bolt. Filled a couple of holes with lead, then drilled a couple of new ones to fit the Norton swing arm mounts. Some dent removal, some sanding, some paint and presto! It might not be exactly like the Norton chain guard, but it's pretty darn close... "good enough for the girls I go out with!" Then I decided to fit the exhaust system...that was pretty uneventful, although I had to slightly modify the original head pipes. I like the way the Dunstall copies look on this bike...not original, but period correct, none the less. Frankly I think they look nicer than the original type mufflers, but then again, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I've GOT to take a short break from this project to work on another one that I have been neglecting, but I'll get back to it REAL soon.

Attachments

#82 · (Edited)
Well, my life has cretainly taken a heck of a loop. I had taken a couple of weeks away from the Norton project to work on another little machine I have been building. Everything was going along as per normal, day by day, then one evening I found my wife sitting out on the doorstep looking a bit odd. Long story short, she had developed a tear in her aorta and had to be rushed into hospital for an emergency open heart procedure to repair the damage before it ruptured. She survived the operation and is currently rehabilitating in hospital. I think she will be back home where she belongs in a few more days. It is awfully quiet around here with her missing, but after I felt she was safely on the mend and could focus, I had lots of time to tinker with the Atlas...got the new carburetors on and finished building the wiring harness for it yesterday (I think) and everything electrical seems to be doing what it is supposed to do...getting closer to that first start up...and hopefully the boss will be home to supervise soon. :D

#83 ·
Jesus, Goldy! Never a dull moment in Nova Scotia, I guess. Very good to hear your ol' gal is recuperating. Now kindly get back on the case and post up some progress pics before I become sick from the unfulfilled anticipation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.