Jockey Journal Forum banner

1951 Panhead build thread

37K views 275 replies 33 participants last post by  [JP] 
#1 ·
Hi all.
As I had explained on a previous thread, the good old 51 Panhead survivor long chop is no more.
Roller been sold and I kept all the drive train.

The first part of the build turned up today! and what a beauty!

It's a VG 1951 replica frame. Made in Germany by VG motorcycles they are hand built to your spec. so you say 1951 and they make it with all the bits it should have had.
They hold the original molds so even the casting has numbers on it.

So.. here's the start of the build. the frame!

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice frame, looking forward to the build.

What's the plans for this one?
Well... one thing I know for sure. It will have a K&Q.

When I told my little girl that the long chop was going and I'd build a new one first thing she said was "but are you putting 2 seats so I can go?"

so there. definitely a K&Q.
the rest... well... will probably look the same as all other bikes. They all look the same these days, different colours, different shape sissy bars, whatever..
they are all "rad man", "awesome", "wow great build man"

but they all look exactly the same.

#9 ·
"They all look the same these days"
You have to break through that kinda thinking man!
Brain to the grind stone!
Nice start....
Yeh... I know.
it's kinda hard though, because I want it classic build, so the things that can be changed, which I can make whatever way I want is like sissy bar, handlebars, risers..
the rest is all the same. Engine, tranny, wheels, brakes.. they are all the same on this style really. not much difference.

the difference will be on the lines across seat/tank/handlebars. that's the area that usually does it for me on a bike. it's where it flows or not.

#12 ·
From what I've been told 1951 frames had those tabs there as they had a bracket for a horn.
I'm not sure if I should leave it or not.... if they actually had this then I'll leave it, but if not I'm taking it off.
but these guys at VG build them to be exactly like they'd have come out of factory, but I haven't asked around yet to confirm for sure this thing about being for a horn.

#19 ·
thanks for confirming! good to know it's accurate.

no progress on build. will probably only start in September. too busy this month and most of August i'm in the motherland for summer holidays.

Been thinking about colour though...
the easier is black frame. but all my bikes have a black frame.
I also find that with a black frame you don't really see the contours and shapes of all the castings, so I'm debating doing colour.

maybe a blue.. metallic blue... or a green.
but then I think, once you get a coloured frame, then your tanks options etc are not so wide. On a black frame any colour tank works...

#23 ·
yes, my little pony is a thing here... I endured taking her to the cinema last year to watch it.
In the whole cinema there was about 50 mothers and little girls...and 1 bearded guy with a little girl. got some looks!! haha

doing the bike on my little pony theme!! now she would be over the moon with that!! Woul
She calls my 68 genny the Flamesy, and the 51 Pan survivor the Sparkly... as she said it looks like the bike has sparkles from unicorns...

haha

#26 ·
I apologize. This thread has spun out into neverland.

Then again, the name Tinkebell has a nice ring. Oops, did it again.

Please post a pic of something manly so we can move on.:)

#29 ·
Not real detailed but built in the late 60s with a stock frame and king/queen seat.

Attachments

#30 ·
Your frame looks good. Ive seen their site, but havent messaged them to see what one costs shipped to the US. Id love to do a hardtail bike again. not exactly practical for what I tend to do on a bike, but would be cool to build and have for tooling around on short rides.

The details of a frame, those with an eye for detail see them, regardless of the color. I look at frames and see what period they are, whats hacked off, etc. After seeing the German frame builders site, I realized Id like a 53-54-ish period wishbone pan frame with sidecar rings,....and swingarm rear, either electric start or earlier pan swingarm type for a stock type horseshoe oil tank. Probably 1 in 100 or less would notice the details of that frame, but id see it every time I came near it and grin inside because it was mine and Id like it. It may even be a alternator shovel lower with improved pan heads, just for fun.

#31 ·
Another update!only been 4 months! haha

Been busy with other stuff, mainly the 68 genny, my newly bouth 74 econoline and my truck.. so the Pan build has gone to second plan.
Shifted some stuff about in the garage, got the 2 other bikes sorted, washed and under cover (unlikely we will get another good riding day over here)
and made some space on the lift...

Not much to look at.
Front 21 star hub, rear 16 mid star.... although I've always been keen on having an 18 rear, so wonder if now would be time to do so.
Tanks... have a peanut and a NOS banana Wassell I tried out.. but not keen on it, seems to long.
Suspension probably going with a wide glide and left drum brake I have... although also fancy the +6 narrow glide.. but wouldnt be able to have a front brake like on my shovel...
but want a front brake on this one as I'll be carrying little one with me.
Have a full mechanical brake setup, including forwards arriving from the US next week, so that will see me put more stuff together.
Want to wrap some rubber around those rims too.

Once I get new stuff then it will make me go through this a bit quicker and throw it all together.

#32 ·
Happy days!!
Some stuff arrived today from the US - complete mech brake setup and a pair of exhaust ends...

Pretty! gives me something to start putting together...
now I've come to a problem....
The mech setup is for a star hub wheel.. there's no bearings on the drum.
But the rear wheel I have is mid star...
Is there any magic out there to get a drum from a star hub to go on a midstar? or is my option here to get a star hub for the back?

and if so... leaves me with a decision, if I have to get a new rear wheel with a star hub.. go 16...or 18... always fancied an 18 rear wheel chop...

suggestions? ideas? thanks!

#33 ·
JP!

Congrats on the parts. Sadly the Mid star and mechanical drum doesn't work as far as I know. The Mid star needs bearing support on the one side which there's no provision for with a starhub. So in short, no. Get yourself a star or use a juice setup to go with the mid.