Jockey Journal Forum banner

1951 Panhead build thread

37K views 275 replies 33 participants last post by  [JP] 
#1 ·
Hi all.
As I had explained on a previous thread, the good old 51 Panhead survivor long chop is no more.
Roller been sold and I kept all the drive train.

The first part of the build turned up today! and what a beauty!

It's a VG 1951 replica frame. Made in Germany by VG motorcycles they are hand built to your spec. so you say 1951 and they make it with all the bits it should have had.
They hold the original molds so even the casting has numbers on it.

So.. here's the start of the build. the frame!

See less See more
#99 ·
Finally!! something to update!
after getting through most of other things on my list today I got on with something on the Pan...
after getting the wheel moved slightly, so it sits where it should, was time to work on some fender mounts... nothing special, but done something so that's a start haha

equal on both sides just like my OCD likes haha

and the mounts, still need to weld it up... not sure how I'm going to get my tig in the middle of the 2 plates to weld the inside to the frame though.
need to check if one of my smallest cups can fit in there..

also done a little timelapse for a laugh.

#101 ·
I did think that, will be far away from doing it though as will only tack it for now and do it properly when frame is bare and I can turn it upside down.

Also want to try something I saw on weldmonger feed the other day where he actually bends the electrode in order to get to hard to reach places, haven't tried that one yet.
which I think I might have to do as dont think I'll have the correct angle getting the cup down there, will check tomorrow.

#105 ·
yeh stick would be perfect there good shout, or ARC welding like we call it here, I have a brand new setup for stick welding that goes with my TIG, never actually used it.

Might give that a go, need a few practice pieces as been a few years since I done stick welding, helping a friend with fence gates...

#106 · (Edited)
Any idea on these 2 tanks?
the one on the left matches the flares on my oil lines pretty well.. but the tank looks crap,
the tank on the right is in much better condition but the flare seems different? maybe just smaller, angle is kind of the same... what this all about? different years or just both really bad copies?

the threads on the one on the left arent great either, I can tighten the oil lines (rigid lines) but not as easy, maybe because they are in better condition..
also... oil cap. aren't these supposed to be all the same? if I take the one from the left and try screw on the right tank it won't go in easy....

any ideas?

EDIT: had a look online and doesnt seem to be any changes on thread types on the connections or the fuel cap, its all the same throughout the years. Must be one really shitty copy.

#107 ·
Lots of real shitty copies and repops about JP! I had to alter my rigid lines to fit mine and I have a really nice repop. I was going to use an OEM, but like yours the threads were on their way out..

I've yet to have a single one that hasn't weeped from the cap either.. I have a dipstick on my cap, which is quite handy.. but it also shows that my oil level is too high.. even though i went to my manual exactly!!!

#108 ·
the threads on the one on the left are fine, they hold the lines good, but the overall state of the tank is a mess, bits of discolouration and burnt. would be perfect to use on an old chop...
but as I'm doing the Pan with a nice paint, would just look out of place, had this other kicking about, but threads really are shit. might need to take a die set through it, make them a bit better I guess.

i don't have dipstick on any of my bikes, I just put oil in and stick my finger in it, as long as it's not right to the top and there's space to vent, the more the better, helps to cool down

#109 ·
Agreed about the oil! I dipstick is wrong.. but I know if it's not covered in oil I may want to add a little in you know! haha.

Yeah, there's so many cheap knock offs sadly, which require work to make them runnable. Shame the pan isn't grimy it would look great. I left my oil bag outside for a month, let it mark and rust a little, so it looks well used. Worked out okay! As mentioned, none of the lines fitted properly, had to give them all a little persuasion, especially the feed line.

#110 ·
Well...back to the Pan build, she's back on the lift, think last time I done anything was March, with so many other projects going and nowhere to really ride.

Anyway... oil lines!
Bought a new set of rigid oil lines and they don't seem to fit.
My question here is... do my oil fittings look right? I dont think they do. hell, I dont even think the ones on the oil tank look right.
Before I start manhandling the rigid lines with a bender to get them to shape I wanted to ask the board opinion and if they see anything seriously wrong.

I reckon there's something going on with the oil tank. the fittings stick out too much? there isnt even enough space between the fitting and the head to put the oil line in there... what the hell is going?
Wrong tank? wrong fittings? just manhandle the lines??

The previous tank I had on was ok, but one of the lines had a rubber hose halfway and I really really would like to do it all in rigid, and the tank was side fill and I want to use a center fill.

#111 ·
Well, had a day in the garage... not done much to be honest, tried a set of springers on the Pan, but they are too short, the front stays too low, need some a little longer so the frame sits levelled.
A friend has 1 that is 3" longer than mine, measured on the rear legs, so that might be ok, once it drops down. Measuring mine on the bench, using the little lift to bring the front up, to make her sit nice the rear legs have to be about 2.5" than what they are.
I like the springers.... but also like the wideglide... frame is going to be black, so the springers suits it best.
In terms of ride quality, doesn't really bother me much, I'm used to the springers on my 76.

Also think I figured out the problem with my oil lines... the ones I have are WW 54-048, listed as for 1938-48
and I need 54-031, listed for 1949-57. that may well be the problem.

#113 ·
JP,

If memory serves me right, the oil fittings you have are the same as I have on my knuck. My oil lines I purchased from W&W also did not come anywhere near fitting, it took many attempts to get them to fit properly.

#114 ·
I'm going to leave the oil lines alone, losing too much time with something that can be done right at the end.
The whole thing looks wrong to me. Even the oil tank fittings don't look right.

#116 ·
Pulled the Pan out as had to move bikes around again to work on a friends bike.
Allowed me to check it from a distance, need a longer springer, with this one the frame bottom rails sit about 1" lower at the front... A friend has a springer which the rear legs are 3" longer than bike, so I might try that see how she sits.

#118 ·
Pulled the Pan back out the garage over the weekend as we finally had 1 day of dry weather to check the stance and sissy bar height.
Sissy bar is at good height, looks naff with the silly handlebars, but once I put (should have done for the photos) some 10" apes or flanders style with risers, it will bring the flow lines together.

About the height... with the VL springers the front of the frame is about 3/16 lower than the rear, measured. Hardly noticeable on the photos?
Put putting a small block of wood under the front wheel it looks better. or maybe it's just all in my head because I measured it and confirmed was lower, and then adding the block of wood made it better in my head.

What you guys think?
the other springers I have are 3" longer, so if I fit them it will be way too much as I'd only need the front to be maximum 1/2 higher.

hopefully will be cracking on with this as the majority of all other stuff is at a stage I can stop working on it.

#119 ·
The small adjustment DOES make the difference. I worked on yachts and nothing is straight or square. It took some time to learn that if it looked right to the eye, forget the tape measure.

#123 ·
I have a problem with that, my eye is better than the tape measure! I can spot when things are just a tiny bit out and my OCD starts bouncing off the walls.

I think I've made my sissy bar about 3 times now, just because the bends are not absolutely 100% the same either side.

#121 ·
For what it's worth, I too can see the improvement in o/a profile when the front is hoiked up just that little bit.

But why not throw your pal's 3" longer forks on it and then ogle it over the course of a few days? (Post pics, too, please, so I can share my all-important opinion.)

#122 ·
Might be a problem to find some springers over here that are only 1" longer than mine though... shame this other one I have is 3" longer, I reckon will be way too much.

yes Ratso, I'll put them on to have a look, and I'll definitely be posting photos.
Will also grab a set of mini apes and throw on her to have a better idea of what I'm playing with.