Jockey Journal Forum banner

1940 SS Knucklehead: People's Champ 5 Build"

118K views 327 replies 63 participants last post by  Rigidspeedtwin 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I know a lot of you have seen my girder fork thread, so a bit of this is rehash, but I wanted to get some of this stuff on here chronologically. If you read the fork thread, you can probably read the beginning of post 1 and then jump to post 4. I posted this over on another (the other) forum that prefers angle grinders to machine tools (but I still love them). It's going to seem like a huge blast right off the bat, sorry about that. I'll update it as I go from now on. Maybe print it out in full color on your company's printer and go read it in the shitter, IDK.

So, a bit of backstory, everyone who knows me knows I talk about this thing all the time. I was trying to keep it on the DL online because I was trying to get invited to a "cool" event like born free or Brooklyn. I've since decided that I'm just a nobody and don't really deserve to be invited anywhere. Maybe sometime in the future. Also I am simply just not good at selling myself on social media, so here's where I'm at and I'll update this as I go.

Basically the whole project started like this, a titled basket 1940 EL motor.

By now I've accumulated basically all OEM (not year correct, though) external parts. I'm going to use S&S/Jims/Andrews internals. The motor will be mostly stock. I don't plan on making it anything other than clean, I want to leave all the "wear" marks in the parts that have accumulated over the last 75 years. Sort of like how I shined up this cam cover:

For the sake of the story, not much has happened with the motor, I've been too busy with other things to really dick with that. Also, for the sake of the story this is going to be a little out of order, but no one's probably reading any of this anyway.
I wanted to build a fork for this build, so here's the story of that:
Drew it in cad.

Got castings made from 3d printed wax off cad models. Material is 316L. This is not inexpensive, but I don't spend much money on things besides motorcycles, so it was within budget. All said and done I have into this what a nice condition early springer would cost.

Had to machine the castings. Fixturing these was often difficult and quite a learning experience for me.

See less See more
#31 ·
Re: 1940 SS Knuckle

I've been doing a lot of fab work for a transmission project for this bike, but I'm hesitant to post it anywhere. Maybe I'm being a little oversensitive, but a very well known builder has posted 3 things on instagram very recently that are very similar to things I've done and posted, or at least in my style.

I would normally say "eh, that's just the chopper world, everything is very similar", but this person has me BLOCKED so that I can't see his page. Like, why the fuck would you block me on instagram unless you were feeling guilty? IDK. I didn't even sniff this out, 3 different people forwarded me pictures at different times.

Anyway, I made this 5/8-18 12pt jam nut for my mainshaft. You'll never see it, but I'll know it's there. 4140 Q&T 28-32HRC.

#33 ·

I have a sneaking suspicion I know who you are talking about. If I have it right I can tell you that is not the first set of handlebars he has made like that. The first set that I have seen was built early 2015. There may have been earlier versions to on differnt bikes but I wasn't following him at that time. First thing I thought of when I saw your frame was his bars. I don't know when you first posted your stuff up but I'm guessing this is more of a case of great minds think alike?

I may also have the wrong person in mind, either way your work speaks for itself. Unless you plan on never riding the bike people are going to take inspiration from it, and copy aspects of it. Might as well keep showing the world your skill.

#34 ·

I have a sneaking suspicion I know who you are talking about. If I have it right I can tell you that is not the first set of handlebars he has made like that. The first set that I have seen was built early 2015. There may have been earlier versions to on differnt bikes but I wasn't following him at that time. First thing I thought of when I saw your frame was his bars. I don't know when you first posted your stuff up but I'm guessing this is more of a case of great minds think alike?

I may also have the wrong person in mind, either way your work speaks for itself. Unless you plan on never riding the bike people are going to take inspiration from it, and copy aspects of it. Might as well keep showing the world your skill.
Honestly, that's kind of what I was thinking happened. Nothing I've done is super unique, and I don't think I'm that great or doing anything that really hasn't been done. I guess I was just sort of taken aback that this guy with 30k followers and a legit shop operation thought it was important or necessary to prevent me from seeing his otherwise public page. It's also very out of character for me because normally I couldn't give a fuck about other people's opinions, ESPECIALLY internet ones.

Either way, I'm not posting any of this transmission stuff until I have it entirely worked out. It's a ton of work, I've got 50 hours at least into the design and have only made a handful of parts.

#35 ·

Obviously you do give a fuck (your talking about it here)
Internet social network =Faceless minions.

I joined Facebook because i needed it for Tinder(like A get laid App)
and all Facebook keeps doing is sending me messages that i don't have any friends.
Its so upsetting (yea right)

C'mon get your gearbox up.

#37 ·

This project is just unreal. Own design beautiful castings of stainless steel. Incredible front end. Incredible frame that has chain and brake disk outside the frame.

I have experiences of stainless steel polishing and I know how hard work it is. My favorite project ever.

#39 ·

Really nice work, ( I have trouble calling machine work fabrication, with all the math, trig and geometry associated with it ,its more science than something that can be covered by a word that also means lying!). Most of the engineers I know couldn't design any part of this and damn sure couldn't make it! You are a unique individual sir. I also am running aBridgeport mill with some runout, I've found that if I machine something down to say .25mm then make my finish cuts using high rpm climb cuts at my final value I'm usually dead on dimension. Under normal machining practices The action of the end mill tooth on the wall in front of the tooling actually pushes the end mill further into the workpiece making it undersized.
I'm curious, I don't remember ever machining stainless. Is it difficult to deal with? It tigs much easier than plain carbon steal, but I think it is harder?
Lastly, I love the stance of that turbo shovel, what's the rake and trail?

#41 ·

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Really nice work, ( I have trouble calling machine work fabrication, with all the math, trig and geometry associated with it ,its more science than something that can be covered by a word that also means lying!). Most of the engineers I know couldn't design any part of this and damn sure couldn't make it! You are a unique individual sir. I also am running aBridgeport mill with some runout, I've found that if I machine something down to say .25mm then make my finish cuts using high rpm climb cuts at my final value I'm usually dead on dimension. Under normal machining practices The action of the end mill tooth on the wall in front of the tooling actually pushes the end mill further into the workpiece making it undersized.
I'm curious, I don't remember ever machining stainless. Is it difficult to deal with? It tigs much easier than plain carbon steal, but I think it is harder?
Lastly, I love the stance of that turbo shovel, what's the rake and trail?
I've never heard that fabrication joke. :)

Machining stainless sucks. It work hardens, gums up, just generally shitty, have to cut really slow. Been doing a lot of work with 4140 and 1144 lately and it's MUCH easier to work with.

The shovel is -5 degrees, and the trail, I THINK was about 3". I'd have to dig up my old drawings to be sure and they're on an old harddrive.

#45 · (Edited)

So, I spent about 50 hours making a set of handlebars, and they're not even done yet. I didn't document a lot of the fab work, because the task was so daunting. It doesn't even look like something that would take as long as it did, but manual machining and manual polishing really eats up a lot of time.

The first step was to make these parts. They look simple, and on a CNC they would be. Doing it on manual equipment really presented all sorts of challenges.

The right hand side one is even drilled for throttle cable pass through.

Next, I needed a 1.25" bend CLR on some 1" round. I don't have a die for my bender that small, and I doubt anyone does… Never fear:

That'll work. Took a few tries which was about the end of the service life for the die.

So now I am just going to jump to the complete product but there is a TON that I am skipping. The bars are actually made from 13 different pieces. There is a riser cap, upper tube, middle tube and lower solid round section. The solid round section is profiled manually and then headlight mounting bracket bosses were added. They also have a "backup ring" that takes some of the suspension load off the stem nut. The risers actually pass through the top tree and bolt to the bottom tree. There is a set screw behind the upper girder links that keeps the bars from rattling around in the top tree.

The upper portion of the bars I am not decided on yet. It's going to be a function of tank fitment I think, but fortunately, I can almost do that at the very end of the project, allowing me to play with various ideas. So here are some pictures that I don't really feel does the project justice, but it will get the idea across.
Riser backup ring:

Front view:

Top view:

Details:

Side view:

Another option in case I decide to run lower bars:

The profiled riser support uprights, milled and tapped for headlight mounts:

Also got some parts back from heat treat. The nuts are 1144 and HT to 54HRC, the other parts are 4140 and HT to 51HRC.

This IG video gives a bit of a better "overall feel" to the bars:

#48 ·

I like that everything you do is odd as hell but the outcome is always pleasing looking.
So many times we get a build thread from an excellent craftsman who has zero design taste. You combine great skills as a machinist with a keen eye for design and execution.
I am in awe of what you are doing here.

#50 ·

Decided I wanted to make my own headlight. So first I bought a cool looking lens for an old chevy. Then I drew a cad model of what I wanted the headlight to look like.

Then I modified to be constructed from pieces 3/16 thick.

Then used that cad model to make templates:

Cut out some 3/16 316SS plate to the dimensions of the template:

Then start welding. Remember to take a selfie.

Welding it in small layers helps. Remember to keep it clamped.

Let it fully cool before unclamping and rewilding:

Ultimately it was pretty good welding practice, but I got bored and started rushing.

The inside:

Time to start sanding… getting there:

Fast forward a couple hours. By no means a perfect polish, but it's just gotta reflect light:

Clamp the lid onto the body:

And match drill/tap/cbore:

Start sanding:

Keep sanding:

Still sanding!

Now fast forward about 8 hours:

Overall I do not recommend this method of construction. I kept sanding totally through my welds, which required a lot of rewelding. Very frustrating. Next time I think I'll pay someone to hog the rough shape out of billet before sanding smooth. About a 25 hour endeavor to get to this point. Still needs mounts and a bulb holder, that's why it isn't fully polished.

#53 ·

This is going to be one of those bikes that will be famous, legendary, incredible, and a step up from anything we've ever seen! And we're lucky enough to see it get hand made right here.

Thank you and please keep the pics and commentary coming!

#54 ·

Enough... stop. Waaaaaay to much awsesome here.

I cant handle the resentment I have towards my junk, that I have after looking at this thread.

Im ten seconds from lightin my pan on fire.

#56 ·

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't even bother posting about something as simple as a headlight support bracket, but this one has a little twist so here it is:

First I made a drawing, then using a center drill, marked a bunch of key locations on a hunk of 7GA 316SS. Using a compass and a scribe, I added the outline of the part.

Drill some holes.

Make some slots:

Now you can see why there were so many extra holes for a part that only needs two bolts. Not having a CNC forces me to use the rotary table whenever I need to circular mill something.

First slot done. Then unbolt and move to the other hole. This wouldn't work if you needed high precision, but this is a low precision slot. Will become apparent later:

Second slot done:

Cut it out on your saw with a shitty blade:

Then get it more accurate with a sander:

Next, cut out another piece out of some thinner 316. This is 12ga or ~.100

Weld 'em together.

Use an endmill to start a hole:

And a drill bit to finish:

That's what he was doing…

Whenever I am worried about something not coming out right, I forget to take pictures, so what's not shown is Z bending the part on a shitty box brake, or any of the sanding and smoothing, so here is the end result. The wire will enter the bracket, and then never be seen again.

#57 ·

Mister Newman,

Three questions/comments:
1) What software do you use? Solidworks?
2) Do you tie your hair/beard when drilling/milling/sanding? Is good workshop practice, you know. :p

3) Thank you for giving us the heads up on the new trend after you release your bike to the public: the "cordless" headlight!
It (really!) looks awesome!

#58 ·

Mister Newman,

Three questions/comments:
1) What software do you use? Solidworks?
2) Do you tie your hair/beard when drilling/milling/sanding? Is good workshop practice, you know. :p

3) Thank you for giving us the heads up on the new trend after you release your bike to the public: the "cordless" headlight!
It (really!) looks awesome!
1) Inventor. Mostly because that is what we use at work.

2) Yeah, although recently I dipped my hair into what was going to be a beautiful weld while trying to get a better look at it.

3) You're welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.