Jockey Journal Forum banner

Nitro Nostalgia

40K views 180 replies 32 participants last post by  frank spittle 
#1 ·
Right side of engine pod - built by Precision Metal Fab Racing (PMFR) - John Trutnau

Attachments

See less See more
#83 ·
Jaws - I couldn't find anything vintage, so I went with what some of the current top fuel motorcycles are using. The clutch is an MTC top fuel 8" setup. We are going with a single stage clutch in the beginning and maybe a multistage setup if this thing holds together (we have all the parts to make it a multistage). The transmission is a two speed B&J unit. Button shift.

#86 ·
Here is a Motorcycle Performance picture of the right side of the bike. Fuel system is going on and shows fuel pump being belt driven and the back side of the new fuel cell. The pulley system shows all the parasitic loads and how they are currently being driven. Bill and company did a lot of work to make sure that the mags did not lag (shorter belts) during the initial throttle hit.

Attachments

#90 ·
Fuel cell is completed and holds near 3.5 gallons. The cell internal has a hinged baffle that should hold fuel at a near constant level during the burnout and braking. The cell can be removed without taking the front wheel off. Nice work Bill. The four ports on the right side are for the jet cans (bypasses) and the two on the left are spares.

Attachments

#93 ·
Snail - Not a problem. I'm glad you started a new thread for your project. I'll be checking from time to time on your progress, best of luck. Ed

Ducbsa - 3.5 gallons would only be for one run. I was expecting closer to 4 gals, but it may be closer to 4 when measured out. The 3.5 was calculated.

#95 ·
Motorcycle Performance pictures showing fuel lines and fuel cell fit up. the fuel cell ended up being 4 gals. There are eighteen fuel lines and injectors for the two motors and blower. Plumbers nightmare.

Looks like we may be getting close to hearing the bike on nitro.

Attachments

#96 ·
Rear fender support. Now we can get rid of the lumber. (MC photos)

I'm traveling to the Motorcycle Performance shop tomorrow to see the project in the flesh. I'll take plenty of new pictures.

As an aside - Bill Whisenant (Motorcycle Performance owner) is a crew member for the Sam Wills (Nitro Conspiracy) TF motorcycle team. They won their second Mancup race this year (at Memphis) and are currently in first place for the championship.

Attachments

#97 ·
Motorcycle Performance pictures of the rear tailpiece nearing completion. Next step will be to trim the rear pipe's height and to match the length on the front pipes. Plan is to run the bike on nitro in 3 to 4 weeks.

Attachments

#98 ·
Some new fuel system pictures from Motorcycle Performance. The first picture shows the front and rear fuel distribution blocks which are mounted to the frame. The next picture shows the pneumatic fuel shutoff valve. The third picture is taken underneath the bike showing the fuel tank pickup, pump and filter. The small lines that say USA on then are oil lines to the engine main bearings of the front engine.

Attachments

#102 ·
Jaws - the data logger will be downloaded to a computer at the end of each run. So yes, more than one run can be stored on the computer's memory.
At this point no lights or solenoids will be activated by the data logger. There are two pneumatic buttons on the handlebars, one for shifting into high gear and the other to activate the fuel valve cutoff. Both manually activated, still trying to keep it simple. We'll see.

#104 ·
Blower back on and belts tensioned. Note the back of the top rail and the line coming out. The top rail will be used as an air or nitrogen pressure source to shift the bike into high gear and shut off the fuel. Front engine has two belts - 1 for the front magneto and one for the fuel pump and blower. The rear engine has one belt that drives the oil pump and rear magneto. Now waiting for some more data logger parts. MP picture.

Attachments

#106 ·
Some finishing touch photos from MP. I'm planning on eventually painting the rear fender in the Triumph race colors from the late sixties and early seventies (oxford blue and white). Does anyone have a paint code for the oxford blue? The chain guard photo also shows a plate with holes under it. All of the holes allow for different foot peg locations for different riders. The throttle bracket photos show Bill's excellent fab work. Bill says the throttle action is nice and smooth.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.