Jockey Journal Forum banner

Nitro Nostalgia

40K views 180 replies 32 participants last post by  frank spittle 
#1 ·
Right side of engine pod - built by Precision Metal Fab Racing (PMFR) - John Trutnau

Attachments

See less See more
#54 ·
The fifty - fifty mixture was just a guess based on a fuel comment made by Joe Smith. The person completing the build has mentioned 70% several times, so who knows. I really don't want to blow the thing up on the first outing if it can be helped (lot of time and money in it). Tridents have been known to throw their aluminum rods at high rpms. I'm gunning for 8500 rpm. I suppose that if I break a steel rod at the rpm it will saw the cases in half instead of only making a "window." The 12 gpm pump was a recommendation from a current TF bike crew chief (they use a 15 gpm). Probably overkill for this project. Kinsler is designing and building the fuel system, full mechanical.

#55 · (Edited)
You sure have an ambitious project that's for sure. Make sure those mags are HOT. :) If I may say something without offending you, find a tuner and stick with him, trust ONE, stay away from tuning opinions from everyone else. :D And lets get those plugs out and keep those cyls cleared !!;) Can't wait to hear this thing. I do understand the allure of the goddess nitro. :cool: Lippy

#61 ·
Ignition system is completed. The red "card" is used to ground out the magnetos. Once both oil pressure gages are reading satisfactorily, the card can be pulled and the magnetos start firing the spark plugs. One picture shows the three extra spark plug leads (running six cylinder mags) connected to the left engine plate, which is required for that magneto to work properly.

Attachments

#62 ·
Realistically, when will you get to fire it? I'd love to know more about the timing of both engines, ignition and mechanically. Is it staggered from bank to bank like a V6 would be? Or ?

Important question is....will WE get to see and hear it?

#66 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words Frank. It has been a long haul. The plans are to test this summer at a private 1/8th mile dragstrip near the Madison Motorcycle Performance shop. Hopefully someone will have a video camera. If all goes well, then attend a race later in the fall. Ed

#69 ·
Here are several photos of the intake manifolds and intake plenum. The intakes show the idle and run jet placements. The plenum will need to be o-ringed prior to installation. Photos are from Motorcycle Performance. The order of flow is from a modified Hilborn 110 (near the magnetos), up through the Magnacharger 110 blower and into the plenum. Out of the plenum through hoses to the intake manifolds.

We won't be using the left side snorkel intake or the below the head plenum. All in an attempt to not pool fuel or create a bomb!

Attachments

#73 ·
Jaws: This is what I got back from Bill Whisenant (Motorcycle Performance) regarding engine phasing, " Cranks are phased to have left cylinder at overlap on the front motor and the rear motor on compression as close as the phasing will allow by belt tooth.

Boundaries will be determined by careful testing and adjustment I suspect."

DoggyDaddy: the chain is a EK 630 drag racing chain. See attached.

Attachments

#76 ·
Kinsler fuel system has arrived at the Motorcycle Performance shop. Photos show the modified Hilborn 110 throttle body and Waterman fuel pump. A liquid catch tray will be fabricated and placed under the throttle body. It will run out the left side of the bike past the engine belts to keep fuel off the mags and belts during startup.

Attachments

#77 ·
This is a work of art...I love blown stuff, but this one is really something. The details I'm really digging.

I didn't really notice before or it didn't click that the charger is flipped upside down...Not that it would matter, I was curious about initial fueling at startup and low rpm though. I see you mentioned a tray below to catch liquid...

Not really a question for answering, just thinking/typing.

#78 ·
I didn't really notice before or it didn't click that the charger is flipped upside down...Not that it would matter, I was curious about initial fueling at startup and low rpm though. I see you mentioned a tray below to catch liquid...
I'm also enjoying this build,,,
I use an "upside down" small rootes type Supercharger on my "unworthy of this board" LSR 250, another problem I have is an "uphill" plenum,, fuel (Methanol) does drop out of suspension during warm up, I have 2 drain hose locations , 1 taken from the plenum underside as the mix leaves the blower (draw thru), and another at the lowest part of the plenum (when bike is on the side stand) near cylinder #1
These are linked into a single ball valve and drained after initial start & warm up, usually get an Ounce or 2 of fuel.
After a run on the track, the drains are again checked, no fuel seems to have time to drop out of suspension @ revs (there have been a few pistons "drop out"occasionally, usually every year,,,
Tiny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.