Jockey Journal Forum banner

Post your 45'' pics, please!

182K views 418 replies 200 participants last post by  oldsmokey 
#1 ·
Bobbers, stockers... It's all good...

See less See more
#31 ·
Apehanger Hank said:
Who say's green is unlucky, but notice the number....911.
Hank
So can these things actually run down the freeway at 80 MPH? I might know where I could pick me up one but is it really a practical runner for a daily deal? Do you need to put a later tranny on it from a big twin to make it freeway worthy? Never rode one and never rode with anyone who was on one. Rode a 3 speed flathead Indian once and that was one slow sum bitch and that's an 80".

#32 ·
If you want fast a 45 is not the place to look. At least not without a lot of work. They can be made into decent daily drivers that are freeway rideable but if quick is what you are looking for put the same money into an ironhead. Just my opinion.

Now then, where is that one you might be able to get, since I probably talked you out of wanting it? lol...

#33 ·
Too Many Projects said:
If you want fast a 45 is not the place to look. At least not without a lot of work. They can be made into decent daily drivers that are freeway rideable but if quick is what you are looking for put the same money into an ironhead. Just my opinion.

Now then, where is that one you might be able to get, since I probably talked you out of wanting it? lol...
I've had and still have some fast bikes. I don't need fast, just no so slow I can't keep up with the pack.

#36 ·
kevinhog said:
So can these things actually run down the freeway at 80 MPH? I might know where I could pick me up one but is it really a practical runner for a daily deal? Do you need to put a later tranny on it from a big twin to make it freeway worthy? Never rode one and never rode with anyone who was on one. Rode a 3 speed flathead Indian once and that was one slow sum bitch and that's an 80".
You could do this!
Hank

Attachments

#43 ·
Early Iron Motorcycles said:
Yes go to Victory library, Panic has a how to booklet on it.

Go to the Flathead Power BB, look up a guy named Enigmas (from England or Australia - can't remember) and asked him how "easy" it was. Originally the brainchild of Randy Smith, it was built when these parts were growing on trees. The rods on the original Magnum had a very short life. I cant see any reason to build one, unless you like a good challenge, and you are a good welder and machinist - and you hate the idea of hot-rodding an ironhead. Disclaimer: I've never done it, never dreamed of doing it, and never attemped to do it. I'm far from knowledgable. The completed engine (with frame modified to fit the tall jugs) would be cool as shit, though.

See the step-by-step, about 3/4 down the page, at http://www.randysmith.info/

#45 ·
Hellblau said:
This sold for under $11k on eGay in October '05, I think. The pics with the ad were phenomenal, and the bike is possibly my favorite 45" of all time. I'm still kicking myself for not scrounging up the funds to buy it.
Funny - I remember that bike too. It definitely made an impression on me. I remember liking the pipes and thinking that's one of the few times I've seen a non-Harley tank on a 45 and liked it.

#47 · (Edited)
Rode the red '39 around the UK as a daily for a few years, but sold it prior to returning. Got a pile of parts for my next 45 - RL I-beam forks, 3-bolt frame (2-bolt stuff on the '40 was a pain in the arse), rebuilt engine/trans, 18" WLA rear, 21" front, early Ford spare fender - that's the thumbnail sketch anyway...

Had to take the MSF ERC on my '40 while in UK - the instructors couldn't believe I was going to take the test on it. Kept trying to get me to take the test on a Buell Blast or something they had there. The amusing part was the accel into 2nd, rapid stop, downshift & they wanted me to never take my hand of the brake, but still downshift to 1st. I told them to take their pick - they could have one or the other, but not both because I only had one left hand! :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.