Jockey Journal Forum banner

Got my first beezer... 1954!

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Apehanger Hank 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey there!

So, I've been screwing around with an old 45-
(long story short, I lived in Paradise when it burned down, lost everything, and decided to get another flathead 45,).
The only problem is I'm not keeping it on my lot (no storage shed or anything, just a camper-),
I'm keeping it in Grannies garage.

A few years ago some roust-abouts broke in and stole some things and were never caught (see where this is going?); and they hadn't been back in awhile.

But, night before last "someone" broke in and stole:
-solo seat/pillion pad
-45 dual gas tanks
-dry clutch
-new rear tire

*probably some other crap I haven't noticed yet.

So this shit, after losing everything that was mine but the clothes on my back and my truck, kinda pissed me off more than it should have-

"Clearly (*the powers that be*) don't want me to build a Harley,"
So fuck it, let's find a pre-unit (lighter and faster anyway, right?)

And like a *KISS* in the pants, I find this:

... and it's nearly everything I want, and it followed me home.

But the mag is "acting up" (only one side has decent spark,) and I'm wondering about these old "Lucas Mags"... ("Lucas... king of darkness," comes to mind!)- Are they solid? Should I get a Hunt? Do I really need my battery? And so on and so forth-

The PO said the mechanic he paid would gladly examine and repair the mag for ME ("free of charge") because the PO paid him to get it working correctly-

But.... like, is this a thing? Do people still really stand behind their work this much? I'm assuming it's a too-wide maximum point gap, but I really don't know, haven't looked at it and currently don't have a feeler gauge or anything to check it anyway,).

I guess if dude falls through I can always get a hunt?
:D
(I don't know how to post pics, but there is a link!)

See less See more
#2 ·
me likee, (and the truck, at least the tail gate)\
Do the mag's have two condensors ?, I thought only one so it that had gone south it would affect both cylinders.
If you can have the mag checked what's to lose.
If it was a condenser failing and it was down to you parting with green weed for a repair i'd check out Bright spark magnetos Easy Cap, I did the repair on a beeza I had with good result.
As you have a good spark on one pot though i'd check out easy stuff first, clean mag slip ring, carbon pick up, contacts at either ends of HT wires. Remember mag's don't like big gaps so keep them down to 18 though AND if you pull the mag apart make sure you remove the earthing screw if it has one otherwise you'll break the slip ring / been there ,done that. m/c meching 101.
search JJ the answers are all here, that's why there are so few posts nowadays?
just let karma take care of the pond life that turned you over. All the best.

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with Lucas electrics...that mag will just about tear your hand off if it's working right. Probably just a dirty slip ring, or worn pick up brush. If need be, you can send it off to be properly rebuilt. I can recommend an excellent service in Maine. Swapping it out for a Joe Hunt would be a step backward.

#4 ·
You done good. That's a really respectable A10 just as it sits. (I might dis-Frisco the fuel tank -- i.e. drop it down on the frame rail -- but that's just me.) Hope the mag fix is simple. I've only had one bike with a Lucas mag, but it started on one or two, every time.

#5 ·
Thanks guys!

I ran a mag on my unit Triumph and just loved it, not really be familiar with the pre-unit stuff I thought "Might as well?" but now I know. I'm super excited about this scoot, PO said it hadn't been registered since the '70's until he got it (and it was likely built in the 50's or 60's)- I might upgrade to a 69-70 Triumph front wheel and possibly slap a sissy-bar on for the GF, but I'm so stocked on how it looks now I really want to keep the original look.

Thunderbird-
I didn't even see that white truck he had! I was too busy noticing his flathead-powered '36 ford convertible and his unrestored, '65 goat (with a 4-speed!). The PO is a hot rodder and was trying to save an original piece (even though he doesn't ride that much,), I'm stoked!

#8 ·
I think that *is* a Wassell (-style) peanut tank, but it did take me a couple of hard squints. Real nice molded swirl-sort-of-thing on it, too.

I love thieves and think each one should get a medal and a cash prize. Dirty mother@#$%!&#ers.

#9 ·
(I don't know how to post pics, but there is a link!)
I edited your post to include the pics in the post.

It's fairly simple, if you click on the Insert Image icon above where you type your post, hover over the icons until you find the Insert Image icon.

Click on that icon and paste your URL into the box, hit ok. Use the preview button and see if the picture appears in the post.

Give it a try, after a few times, it becomes second nature.

#11 ·
Very cool!

I had a BrightSpark EasyCap installed when my Lucas mag needed a service. I like the idea that it's no longer reliant on an antiquated Lucas cap buried deep in the guts, waiting to die and requiring a huge teardown to replace. Cheap and easy change, with no external signature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.