Jockey Journal Forum banner

Dopethrone Engine Swap

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  47str8leg 
#1 ·
I have this bike I call Dopethrone, because I was listening to that album when doing final assembly on the build all night one night. It's my Dopethrone. Anyway, it is a sawed off 1960 XLCH 75ci stroker in a highly modified Demons Cycle Softail frame. I decided to wedge a cone Shovel in there that I have been building also that had no destination. It is 88ci with 3 5/8 Arias pistons and 3 piece Evo 4 1/4 flywheels. Andrews B cam. I am also installing a wraparound oil tank from a Softail that I cut 2 1/4 inched out of to narrow it. It has a built in filter. My battery and filter were behind the trans and now they will both be on or in the oil tank. Clean. Here is the bike with the two engines in there. I will show more pics later as the progress continues...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Got the 1982 Shovelhead with matching rotary top trans installed. 4 1/4 Evo 3 piece flywheels with 3 5/8 bore. 88CID. Runs good. Next I will make a reverse twisted sissy bar from 1/2 square 304 stainless and highly polish it. Yeah, Indian Larry was my favorite builder by far. I still have the October 1996 Iron Horse #146 mag faced out on my bookshelf.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
With the turnouts and washers in the end it is actually pretty mellow for straight pipes. I can short shift right past the cops with no problems. Same pipes as before. Just reworked the top half for the Shovel top end. Just enough back pressure.

Straight cut shotguns with no washers, lollipops or bolts through the pipe to act as diffusers would be much louder. That or a megaphone like George The Painters 42 bike.
If you look close on the front head you can see where I had to move the bolt hole out of the way of the single downtube. Grinded away the old one and decided to l have my friend weld on a little wedge shaped piece of Aluminum for the new bolt hole. He has a better tig rig than me, and is a better welder. He even went to school haha. Decided to keep it a one bolt stock spigot.

#9 ·
Looking at you brake caliper and it appears to be bolted to welded to tabs on the frame. Can you get enough travel on the axle to adjust the chain, or might the caliper pistons jam if you move the wheel to far back? Other wise I like the brake caliper. Is the braking OK with that setup?

#10 · (Edited)
The non adjustable caliper mount allows enough travel to adjust for chain stretch but that is it. I get full 100 percent pad contact so no cocking or jamming is possible. The caliper is dual piston, and the dual pistons provide a self centering action with a rigid mounted caliper. I mounted it by clamping it over the rotor with the mounts bolted to it. Then I tack welded the mounts to the frame and removed the caliper to weld up the mounts solid to the frame. I have had no issues with it. Works very good. Even pad wear. Locks up any time I want it to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.