Jockey Journal Forum banner

hunt auto advance magneto

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  magnum45pete 
#1 ·
Got great spark at plugs on long lobe"rear" nothing on the short lobe"front",new condenser, points gap good cant work it out .Anyone got any ideas and thank you all you good people on the help on my SU carb all sorted :)

#2 ·
had a similar thing - we set it up in a vise and spun it with a drill found the point arm was hitting its self only 1/2 the time and shorting

#3 ·
you time a magneto on the front cylinder compression stroke with the long cam lobe just about to open the points,... NOT the rear as you seem to say,... sounds like you have timed it on the wrong lobe. timing a Harley is easy if you simply remember to time on the front cylinder, if your trying to time it on the rear cylinder you are pissing in the wind

#6 ·
personally I prefer MORRIS magnetos, far better quality than Hunt, but saying that Hunt are not that bad, I would recommend getting points and condenser from Dave aat Morris as he only sells and uses hi quality components, the cam could be bent but that's a very rare thing to happen, it could just be a shit set of points and the way wires are routed inside the mag.... also use solid copper leads, Caps and non-suppressed plugs as they do kill the spark,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.