41 el - Page 14 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-20-2020, 04:20 AM   #261
rhysmort

Default Re: 41 el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
Thanks Rhys. I donít know how many of the third type were produced for 41 but the few that Iíve seen have very high SNs suggesting intro late in the model year. As mentioned above, I have one possible exception at 20++ but the picture is not clear.

If possible Iíd like to see photos of your SN and BNs please when you get the bike back. Thanks.
Eric
Hi Eric!

I'll certainly have a look when I get her back. From what I saw the BN's are just about gone. What I can tell you though is prior to the rebuild the engine had been in storage since December 1969. The guy who owned it passed from what I understand and it was tucked away. The guy I had it off bought it off his son needing said rebuild.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #262
rhysmort

Eric,

I've been looking at my BN's tonight, the one isn't there, it's long gone, the other from what I can tell as it's almost not there its 41XL assuming it's E 2649.

That's best guess, the 2 isn't really yhere and the 6 is just an o but it's too small to follow the rest of the numbers so must be a 6. 4 just about, same with the 9 being just the top part no tail.

Hope this helps?

Rhys
Old 05-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #263
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks Rhys. Which case has the BN? Left case or right case?

Very unusual to have any letters in a 1941 BN. I have no letters in photos of any authentic-looking BNs for 1941. Here are two 41 Knuckles for example.

But the factory did use the letter E in Knuckle BNs for 1940.

Could you post a photo of your BN please. And a photo of your SN. Thanks.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #264
rhysmort

Eric,

I'll try and get one, very difficult with lighting and how barely there it is!

My mistake though, there's no E or L its 41 - 2469 I think! scratch by the dash looked like an E, i'd had a few beers last night! It's also on the RH case, left one has remnants which aren't discernable as anything, maybe a 2, but that's all I can tell.

Rhys
Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 AM   #265
Speeding Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
there's no E or L

That sounds better. And if itís 41-2469 then Iíd expect the characters to be the same types as in the two 41 examples I posted above.

Re your left case, I wonder if it too originally had 41-2469 and the only character now legible is 2? But even if that is true, Iím still wondering why that type of case has such a low 41 SN. Maybe the cases were replacements with full and matching BNs from the factory and the SN was applied later?

Or perhaps 2 is the only character ever stamped under the left case? Sometimes replacements had only one, two or three characters. If they were paired then each half received the same characters but on occasion only a single replacement was issued so maybe that is what your left case is?
Anyway, a photo of the SN may give us more of an idea why such a low 41 SN is on that style of case.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 AM   #266
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
That sounds better. And if itís 41-2469 then Iíd expect the characters to be the same types as in the two 41 examples I posted above.

Re your left case, I wonder if it too originally had 41-2469 and the only character now legible is 2? But even if that is true, Iím still wondering why that type of case has such a low 41 SN. Maybe the cases were replacements with full and matching BNs from the factory and the SN was applied later?

Or perhaps 2 is the only character ever stamped under the left case? Sometimes replacements had only one, two or three characters. If they were paired then each half received the same characters but on occasion only a single replacement was issued so maybe that is what your left case is?
Anyway, a photo of the SN may give us more of an idea why such a low 41 SN is on that style of case.
Eric

Morning Eric,

I had the bike out yesterday so could have a proper look for you. It's 41-4469! no 2, it's damn hard to see and my exhaust is right next to it, but it was off as was my genny to do some maint!

Re the left case, there's traces I can see of at least 4 numbers I believe, but i can not really tell, it's just the odd parts of partial lines. I'll send you a photo of my SN later!

Rhys
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #267
rhysmort

Carb isn't far away, she's running and riding.

Rhys
Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #268
Dutch Dennoz

Awesome