41 el - Page 13 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #241
rhysmort

Default Re: 41 el

Just want to take a minute to thank you all very much for the help and advice you've all given.

I followed, not probably as best I could, but have a lot going on, no excuse but didn't approach it as methodically as I should have. The bike is going to good hands, who will hopefully get her running as sweet a nut!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #242
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Just want to take a minute to thank you all very much for the help and advice you've all given.

I followed, not probably as best I could, but have a lot going on, no excuse but didn't approach it as methodically as I should have. The bike is going to good hands, who WILL get her running as sweet a nut!
Fixed it for you. It will be great to go riding her. Whether it has tit's or wheels it will be some trouble.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #243
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Fixed it for you. It will be great to go riding her. Whether it has tit's or wheels it will be some trouble.
you can fix the tits part of that -

only foster them until they find there forever home
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #244
joe49

fly's floats or f--ks it's best to rent.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #245
rhysmort

Bike has been fixed!

It was an intake leak, on the front head. I wasn't torquing the nuts enough, replaced a gasket, loosened and torqued everything and she's good to go! Carb needs a bit of a fine tune but that's it!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #246
johnjzjz

Quote:
Bike has been fixed!

It was an intake leak, on the front head. I wasn't torquing the nuts enough, replaced a gasket, loosened and torqued everything and she's good to go! Carb needs a bit of a fine tune but that's it!

its all about a true experience of having done what you did - and now the knowing it was the intake all along - will give you the ability to go after something like this again with a much more open mind -- good on you dude
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
Old 05-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #247
tomsoftail

Yes. Now park that old bitch and stay quarantined!!!!
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #248
rhysmort

Sure is John,

Carb is dialled for 1000CC, and my EL has 1200 top end so going to need some tinkering to get it spot on. Plan is to ride 100+ miles and let the rings bed in. Will then start checked plugs for colour etc and see where I can tune it in a bit. I may lose a few MPG but still better than a M74B with fixed high speed!
Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 AM   #249
Stormin

Nice to hear the problem is sorted. Lock downs are being loosen...now get out there and ride!
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #250
johnjzjz

Quote:
Sure is John,

Carb is dialled for 1000CC, and my EL has 1200 top end so going to need some tinkering to get it spot on. Plan is to ride 100+ miles and let the rings bed in. Will then start checked plugs for colour etc and see where I can tune it in a bit. I may lose a few MPG but still better than a M74B with fixed high speed!

its a fine adjustment from this spot we use a gray marker and an adjacent on the body - then only 3 clicks on the main screw at a time - see the plugs dark 3 lean ( in ) see them white 3 rich ( out ) only - vary the speed - exhaust smells its rich in one click at a time between rides - they both add fuel to each other low and hi speed adjustable needles - its a balance between them

at the 50 mile mark check all the bolts - then cold adjust the valves < just looking for a loose or tight one - then ride it

check the timing at some point as it will change as the pieces are wearing to one another but very little will it actually change - again a market spot on the belt pulley and block makes that a snap running to look at - throttle it shows gear to gear walk and that will be slight as well
Old 05-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #251
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
its a fine adjustment from this spot we use a gray marker and an adjacent on the body - then only 3 clicks on the main screw at a time - see the plugs dark 3 lean ( in ) see them white 3 rich ( out ) only - vary the speed - exhaust smells its rich in one click at a time between rides - they both add fuel to each other low and hi speed adjustable needles - its a balance between them

at the 50 mile mark check all the bolts - then cold adjust the valves < just looking for a loose or tight one - then ride it

check the timing at some point as it will change as the pieces are wearing to one another but very little will it actually change - again a market spot on the belt pulley and block makes that a snap running to look at - throttle it shows gear to gear walk and that will be slight as well

Thanks Jon,

I'll be sure to check valves, Russ (Shovithead) told me how he approached it and I've always done that, 3rd gear like you should shift and then turn it in click at a time on the high speed til it stumbles, back out til it's smooth. Once it's spot on, dial the low speed to match!

Toshi who sorted it for me said it's still sneezing a little through the carb when it's bone cold, but hey so did my pan, as long as it runs well warm!!
Old 05-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #252
johnjzjz

it comes down to what grit was used on the bores - and what style piston ring and the piston to wall clearance - for brake in miles

when the engine finally is broke in it will need a fine sweet spot on the tune again - and the volumetric efficiency of the engine will catch up to its self and then stay for quite a while
Old 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #253
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
it comes down to what grit was used on the bores - and what style piston ring and the piston to wall clearance - for brake in miles

when the engine finally is broke in it will need a fine sweet spot on the tune again - and the volumetric efficiency of the engine will catch up to its self and then stay for quite a while
Yeah! I'll keep on top of it.

Keen to get some miles and get her riding a bit more!!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #254
Speeding Big Twin

Rhys, Iím interested in your left case because I havenít seen many of that style for 41. Most 41 Knuckle left cases had short ribs and a number boss with two nubs above it as per the photos below.

Apparently another type had the same number boss and nubs but the ribs were longer. However, it seems not many were made and Iím only aware of one.

The third type had long ribs but a different number boss and that appears to be what you have. It seems to have been introduced late in the 41 model year which is consistent with the few that Iíve seen having very high SNs although thereís always the chance of exceptions. Does your engine have a very high SN? And very high BNs? Thanks.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #255
johnjzjz

hey eric as I have in my search for 41 things that are different - I was told the 1940 blocks were very poor in quality and the later block was already in production when the first machines were being built - in and under 3600 chassis numbers and that puts them all in the bent frame machines - and were replaced while the frames were being bent

don't know how true that is as many think they are the end all do all in knuckles

but the bent frame machines have odd things about them like the spacers and bolts for the dash that are not in any parts book but have to be in place or the dash does not fit at all
Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #256
[JP]

Quote:
Toshi who sorted it for me said it's still sneezing a little through the carb when it's bone cold, but hey so did my pan, as long as it runs well warm!!
Toshi is a good guy and knows his shit.
and knows how to ride a bike, I couldn't shake him off the back of me through the lakes twisties in Sweden last year.
Full of knowledge, quiet and a great laugh.

My 76 Shovelhead build - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #257
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
Rhys, Iím interested in your left case because I havenít seen many of that style for 41. Most 41 Knuckle left cases had short ribs and a number boss with two nubs above it as per the photos below.

Apparently another type had the same number boss and nubs but the ribs were longer. However, it seems not many were made and Iím only aware of one.

The third type had long ribs but a different number boss and that appears to be what you have. It seems to have been introduced late in the 41 model year which is consistent with the few that Iíve seen having very high SNs although thereís always the chance of exceptions. Does your engine have a very high SN? And very high BNs? Thanks.
Eric

Hey Eric,

Bike isn't with me and I don't have a picture of the VIN, it is as you've mentioned without the nubs, it's a smooth boss, long finned. It's 41EL2431

I've been told It's very rare by a few people who have seen the bike, I was unaware that there were so few long rib 41's, but from my understanding it was brought in mid year 41? but a lot less of them than short ribs.

You're a lot more in the know than me sir.

Rhys
Old 05-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #258
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
Toshi is a good guy and knows his shit.
and knows how to ride a bike, I couldn't shake him off the back of me through the lakes twisties in Sweden last year.
Full of knowledge, quiet and a great laugh.
Yeah man, smart guy. Seems like a good dude! never had the pleasure of meeting him yet!

Get some run in miles on her adjust if needed and she should be golden!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #259
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks John. Iím not sure about the quality of the blocks but Iíve heard a couple of stories regarding cracking of the Knuckle left case. Some say it was caused by omission of the baffle plates as of 1940 models while others say it stemmed from a change in flywheels and the intro of the 74 for 1941. Whatever the cause, the problem apparently led to experimenting with longer ribs on some 1941 cases with the early-style SN boss. But Iím only aware of one of those. It has a low SN which looks authentic but I donít know the left BN or the date code.

AFAIK, the third left case for 41 was introduced late in the model year. Iíve only seen a few and I donít know the date codes but their SNs are very high. I have one possible exception and its SN is 20++ but the picture is not clear and the case may even be a replacement. Its date code and BN are unknown.
Eric
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 AM   #260
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks Rhys. I donít know how many of the third type were produced for 41 but the few that Iíve seen have very high SNs suggesting intro late in the model year. As mentioned above, I have one possible exception at 20++ but the picture is not clear.

If possible Iíd like to see photos of your SN and BNs please when you get the bike back. Thanks.
Eric