Schooling needed on STD Panhead heads please?? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Jay Tyrrell

Default Schooling needed on STD Panhead heads please??

I picked up a 56 panhead with a set of STD heads. The ones with the three studs on the exhaust port.

I pulled the motor out and recently started going through it. Looked inside the exhaust port of the one STD head and low and behold the exhaust valve guides is cracked.

Started inspecting more and I can see that the guides are actually worn really bad in the heads with lots of side to side movement of the valve stem in the guides themselves.

Also started looking close at the one rocker arm and the one is very tight and actually doesn't rock back and forth in the assembly. Might have been not machined properly and wasn't true? Super tight when I try to rock it back and forth... The others seem fine.

The heads were super clean and in nice condition. Maybe the previous owner or builder didn't inspect them and just threw them on??? No idea...

Anyway I don't know a lot about the STD Panhead Heads and wanted to know a couple things. I tried calling STD and no one has been answering the phone? (Maybe Covid?)

So I thought I would ask you guys and maybe you can help me out.

1. Are the guides pretty standard for the STD heads? Any suggestions on a real good guide company or a part number for these?

2. The rocker arm assemblies. Are they just Panhead stock rocker assemblies?

Any help would be apprecaited!

Jay
Jay Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
VonWegener

Default Re: Schooling needed on STD Panhead heads please??

STD Was started by Lou Trachtenberg in the late 1980. When he died he left the business to his employees. Eventually they gave up and sold the business and the new owners now sold out to another outfit.
There have not been any heads or cases made in years.
The 3 exhaust bolt panheads are actually Shovel heads dimension wise. STD also made true Panhead castings. Stock pan rockers etc will fit your heads.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Jay Tyrrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
STD Was started by Lou Trachtenberg in the late 1980. When he died he left the business to his employees. Eventually they gave up and sold the business and the new owners now sold out to another outfit.
There have not been any heads or cases made in years.
The 3 exhaust bolt panheads are actually Shovel heads dimension wise. STD also made true Panhead castings. Stock pan rockers etc will fit your heads.
Hey

Mike thanks for chiming in here! Also appreciate the history lesson as well.

I will get a stock rocker arm and block then. Just to clarify Mike, are the guides panhead or shovelhead?

Jay

Thanks Jay

Old 12-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
BSATOM

Valve guides are the same from '48-'77. If the heads use a y shaped Shovelhead intake then the cylinders and head bolt pattern are Shovelhead. I just rebuilt a bike with stock exhaust spigots but shovel intake and cylinders. STD made several configurations. If it has a long T shaped intake, then the cylinders are Panhead. Shovel is way better, as the Knuck and Pan intake make the intake mixture do a complete u turn to get into the combustion chamber. Lastly, why not just hone the current block to fit the rocker? Is it galled?
BSATOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
dan r

be aware of guide diameter. measure the head's bore before ordering guides. pans and shovels 48-79 used the same diameter guides that started at a diameter of 0.565" it's quite normal for the heads guide bores to stretch oversize... use over size guides to maintain a proper press fit. before removing any guide, first remove all carbon from the port end of the guide.
i have had very good luck with valves, guides and spring sets from Goodson...
https://goodson.com/
dan r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Jay Tyrrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSATOM View Post
Valve guides are the same from '48-'77. If the heads use a y shaped Shovelhead intake then the cylinders and head bolt pattern are Shovelhead. I just rebuilt a bike with stock exhaust spigots but shovel intake and cylinders. STD made several configurations. If it has a long T shaped intake, then the cylinders are Panhead. Shovel is way better, as the Knuck and Pan intake make the intake mixture do a complete u turn to get into the combustion chamber. Lastly, why not just hone the current block to fit the rocker? Is it galled?
Thanks for this information BSATOM! Much appreciated. Looks like it is definitely Shovelhead intake and cylinders from here. Check it out. I don't know a lot about the engine all I know is that it is a 56 bottom end with an Andrews B grind cam. Shovel head jugs and those STD panhead heads with prematurely worn guides. That one rocker arm shaft and assembly is very galled and missing material on the shaft and block. Check out some pics.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_114202_1607878858827.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	258922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_114230_1607879016179.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	258924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_114213_1607879282775.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	258926  

Old 12-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Jay Tyrrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post
be aware of guide diameter. measure the head's bore before ordering guides. pans and shovels 48-79 used the same diameter guides that started at a diameter of 0.565" it's quite normal for the heads guide bores to stretch oversize... use over size guides to maintain a proper press fit. before removing any guide, first remove all carbon from the port end of the guide.
i have had very good luck with valves, guides and spring sets from Goodson...
https://goodson.com/
Thanks for the lead and info dude! much appreciated!

Jay