How to release this gear - help needed - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
alexml

Default How to release this gear - help needed

Hi, has anyone got a good way to release the kickstart gear off the mainshaft. I got the drive side nut off, it was only finger tight and being held on by the washer tabs. The kickstart side nut came off too, no problem, but I cannot get the gear off the mainshaft. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kick gear.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	211265  
alexml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Blackbetty

Default Re: How to release this gear - help needed

There's a special tool for it.

It's fuckin expensive.

I use a 2 jaw puller - this works 50/50. (not my pic)

Careful because this method will usually send the kicker gear flying.

If you're using new kicker gears and mainshaft and plan on doing a full disassembly, you can remove the mainshaft with this gear in place and not even bother pulling it.
Blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Not to be an asshole, man, but a manual is a tool you probably need.

There are several specialty tools for that, and some homebrewed alternatives. I have a friend who owns a 3-jaw puller that slips behind that lickety-split, but every 3-jaw I have won't fit. I have a 2-jaw with the jaws milled down to fit behind the gear. Works well on kick arms that don't want to come off their shafts, too.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
rhysmort

I just literally took mine off. 3 leg puller works a treat, use a piece of metal not to hammer the clutch. I ground the tops of my puller legs flat to get a nice fit behind it. good luck! took some getting off!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
....but a manual is a tool you probably need.
Yes to what Mule said. It makes everything a lot easier.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Yes to what Mule said. It makes everything a lot easier.
I've got a copy of the Harley Workshop manual on its way, but I was getting a little impatient. But it maybe wise to read through the procedure before doing some damage.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
There's a special tool for it.

It's fuckin expensive.

I use a 2 jaw puller - this works 50/50. (not my pic)

Careful because this method will usually send the kicker gear flying.

If you're using new kicker gears and mainshaft and plan on doing a full disassembly, you can remove the mainshaft with this gear in place and not even bother pulling it.
Thinking of a full disasembly, so may try to take out without removing, probably best wait for the manual to arrive as I am not sure about the transmission work as I have not been in there before.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
alexml

If you're using new kicker gears and mainshaft and plan on doing a full disassembly, you can remove the mainshaft with this gear in place and not even bother pulling it.[/QUOTE]

Does it just slide out the kicker side once the selector fork assemble has been removed and all flat head bolts have been removed from behind the kickstart clutch, or do you need to dissemble the gears from the mainshaft inside the casing too?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
fossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexml View Post

Does it just slide out the kicker side once the selector fork assemble has been removed and all flat head bolts have been removed from behind the kickstart clutch, or do you need to dissemble the gears from the mainshaft inside the casing too?[/QUOTE]

You need to loosen a lock ring from the mainshaft, so the 3 gear slides off the shaft and stays inside the housing. I still would read the manual, to make sure youre doin it right.

I also use a 2-jaw puller that fits between the gap to remove the clutch gear. It takes a steady hand, but it works.
fossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
joe49

2 jaw is fine, loosen and leave nut on shaft so it stops the gear and puller from flying across the shop.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #11
'59

protect the end of the mainshaft and be prepared when the starter gear breaks free it just pops loose. out of interest was the little BB in the side of the starter gear still there? now if that pings off it's gone.
'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #12
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossy View Post
Does it just slide out the kicker side once the selector fork assemble has been removed and all flat head bolts have been removed from behind the kickstart clutch, or do you need to dissemble the gears from the mainshaft inside the casing too?

You need to loosen a lock ring from the mainshaft, so the 3 gear slides off the shaft and stays inside the housing. I still would read the manual, to make sure youre doin it right.

I also use a 2-jaw puller that fits between the gap to remove the clutch gear. It takes a steady hand, but it works.[/QUOTE]

I think general consensus is, READ THE MANUAL, which is a good idea, I was getting impatient waiting for my copy to arrive, but I think I will check out whats what and then try a 2 jaw puller. If no go with that will try to take it apart with the kicker clutch still in place
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #13
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by '59 View Post
protect the end of the mainshaft and be prepared when the starter gear breaks free it just pops loose. out of interest was the little BB in the side of the starter gear still there? now if that pings off it's gone.
Cant see any BB, as the starter gear is still on the mainshaft, just a keyway. I dont think there was a BB anywhere visable when I took the kicker casing off, so not sure if I am looking in the right place. The manual is certainly a good idea.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:19 AM   #14
fossy

Quote:

Does it just slide out the kicker side once the selector fork assemble has been removed and all flat head bolts have been removed from behind the kickstart clutch, or do you need to dissemble the gears from the mainshaft inside the casing too?[/QUOTE]

Quote:

I also use a 2-jaw puller that fits between the gap to remove the clutch gear. It takes a steady hand, but it works.
I think general consensus is, READ THE MANUAL, which is a good idea, I was getting impatient waiting for my copy to arrive, but I think I will check out whats what and then try a 2 jaw puller. If no go with that will try to take it apart with the kicker clutch still in place[/QUOTE]

Check out this, the mainshaft section. Till your manual arrives.

fossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Blackbetty

While I agree that you need a manual ASAP....

This guy's blog helped me 1000% more than the manual.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....blog-page.html

Scroll down for 4 speed maintenance, he covers the entire rebuild.
Blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 AM   #16
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
While I agree that you need a manual ASAP....

This guy's blog helped me 1000% more than the manual.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....blog-page.html

Scroll down for 4 speed maintenance, he covers the entire rebuild.
Manual arrived today, and thanks for the link, that will help a lot.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 AM   #17
alexml

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossy View Post

I think general consensus is, READ THE MANUAL, which is a good idea, I was getting impatient waiting for my copy to arrive, but I think I will check out whats what and then try a 2 jaw puller. If no go with that will try to take it apart with the kicker clutch still in place[/QUOTE]

Check out this, the mainshaft section. Till your manual arrives.

[/QUOTE]

Cheers, thats great. Manual has arrived now.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
lilbill

i ran into something i'd never seen before when i was building the trans on my 67. the witches hat throwout brg goes over the outer ratchet gear. i tried 3 different outer gears until i found one the fit the throwout brg without dragging or binding. also a couple of the aftermarket inner ratchet gears i tried would bind on the mainshaft (bushings too tight).
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
jerseymutt

I used a two jaw puller and they came right off - piece of cake. The real challenge was removing snap ring/spring clip (#12 in the drawing). Now that I have done one and I figured out the proper amount-shape of dental picks to use it would be easier the second time but that clip has to come off for the shaft to come out. Good luck.

Mutt
jerseymutt is offline   Reply With Quote