Need some help with the motorcycle headgear - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-08-2020, 04:13 AM   #1
mariolakin

Default Need some help with the motorcycle headgear

Hi everyone!
I know this is a place to talk about a motorcycle but can't find anywhere else to ask for some advice to choose a good motorcycle helmet. I have been searching on the internet and many websites but still do not find what I need. Looking for one that is a full-face model and comfortable for long rides. What brand do you guys use? and what helmet blog do you guy read? and how is it? Just need some quick info.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by mariolakin; 08-09-2020 at 12:21 AM.
mariolakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
richbob

Default Re: Need some help with the motorcycle headgear

How much do you want to spend?
that will narrow things down maybe?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #3
Ducbsa

Different brands seem to fit better with different head shapes. Try them on at M/C shops, then, preferably buy there.
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
magnum45pete

cheap lids offer little if any protection, you can spend $5k for a real good race lid that will protect you best but buy the best you can afford, avoid any made in China, India or Tiawan as they are about the worst out there, a GOOD motorcycle accessory shop will have a very large range from the piss pot chopper type lids that only (just) make you legal to Proddy race lids that offer the best protection & everything inbetween... good makes are many, but Bell, Shoei, AGV, Simpson, Arai, BMW & Roof are all good makes but are not cheap, but how much do you value you head ?..... the good shops should be able to fit you properly, if they just say 'buy this' without fitting it or at least going through a good number of choices walk away, they are probably just selling cheap lids they have a surplus of without knowing what they are doing, personally I use an Orlite Kevla millitary Para helmet, I don't get on with full face & refuse to use shit just to look cool..
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Goldy

I didn't use a full face helmet until after I had a bad encounter with a deer. After that it was full face and armoured gear all the way. Among others, I've been using a Nolan modular helmet the past three years...easy to get on, no need to remove glasses and the integrated sun shield eliminaetes the need for sunglasses.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Just Passin' Thru...

Over a year ago i purchased a Zox Blitz full face helmet and really like it. It looks similar to the Biltwell Gringo but with a larger opening. I have a gringo also but will grab the blitz before the gringo. Biltwell Lane Splitter is nice too... Let us know what helmet you will roll with when you make a decision.
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
Elektron

If you add where you're located, that could help in recommendations, as some manufacturers may-not be available in your country.

Helmets are a very-personal thing. Heads are shaped differently. Better manufacturers account for this. I've had mostly Shoei helmets, the Arai's didn't fit me, but they offer more shapes now. My current helmet is a Shark Evoline, which I like a lot. It's modular, and the chin bar flips to the backside of the helmet, greatly-reducing wind-drag when opened. It's also DOT-rated for use open or closed; it has an internal sun-shade, the fabric lining is removable for cleaning or replacement.

https://us.shark-helmets.com/collect...rcycle-helmets

Here's a pic of it with the chinbar lowered, and it's at a very-good price, as a Revzilla closeout.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...t-hakka-helmet

One-hand to open or to close it. It has vents which open/close, and the aero design lessens strain on your neck. You can enjoy the comfort of an open-face helmet riding around town, or to speak with someone, and the increased protection of a full-face helmet at higher speeds, or when in heavy traffic. I've owned the BMW (Schuberth) modular helmet, the Shoei modular helmet, and I prefer the comfort and the features of the Shark above those others.

As a fire-rescue paramedic (now retired) I saw plenty of motorcycle accidents during my career. I recommend a full-face helmet, or one that has that capacity, like the modulars.

Try one on in the store, and wear it around for awhile. Helmets should be snug, but not tight. You don't want a loose helmet. You shouldn't have any 'hot-spots,' where pressure from your head inside the helmet causes you 'point' discomfort at one or more points on your head. It may require you to wear the helmet for 15-20 minutes to discover if it's uncomfortable. Many shops now have hair-net thin fabric caps for you to-wear to protect the interior of the helmet from whatever people use on their hair. It might be a good idea for you to bring your own hair-net when you go searching for a helmet. If they object to you wanting to wear the helmet for that length of time, go somewhere-else.

Last edited by Elektron; 08-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Ratso

Some cheaper helmet mfgrs. use the same exterior shell for a range of nominal head sizes. The innards snap in and out. Along with making those liners easier to wash and dry, this means that if a shop has exactly the helmet you want, but not in your head size, a salesguy can pull out the liner and pop in a liner of a size to fit you.

Of course, the salesguy has to give a shit about whether he sells you a helmet or not.

I haven't had a really expensive/top-rated helmet since the early days of the Reagan administration. That's partly a budget-driven choice, but also I think that if you stay away from the cheapest most obviously lousy helmets, the difference between a $250 and an $800 helmet is mostly in the way it fits your head. (I said *mostly.*) A good fit is your most important consideration, I think.

There's other issues -- noisiness, wind leakage, buffeting, ease of use and so forth -- but mild cases of those can be lived with in the interest of getting on the road (relatively) cheaply.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
cheap lids offer little if any protection
Nope. This is just incorrect. In fact, Dexter Ford wrote an article about this years ago called "Blowing The Lid Off," and was subsequently fired for revealing that more money does not necessarily yield a safer helmet. (In fact, it usually does not.)

More money gets you more features. If it passes the test, (DOT, Snell, ECE, whatever) it passes the test.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
Nope. This is just incorrect. In fact, Dexter Ford wrote an article about this years ago called "Blowing The Lid Off," and was subsequently fired for revealing that more money does not necessarily yield a safer helmet. (In fact, it usually does not.)

More money gets you more features. If it passes the test, (DOT, Snell, ECE, whatever) it passes the test.
they may pass a DOT test, but a baseball cap would, thats why America is just about the only country world wide where a DOT pass is accepted as meaning a helmet is safe, nowhere in over 50 countries worlwide are they legal for use on a motorcycle, they have to go
through many far stricter tests than America demands,
The ECE 22.05 certification is the European approval of the minimum safety requirements of a motorcycle (or scooter) helmet. & is generally used in the rest of the world
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #11
Ratso

Still, "cheap lids offer little if any protection" seems intemperate.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:57 AM   #12
Thunderbird

$10 helmet for a $10 noggin.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #13
TrumpNY

I have a Biltwell Gringo S and an Urban Big Bore. The Gringo S gets worn when it's cold or the weather might go south on me. The Urban is more comfortable for long rides, but the shield they sell, while it does keep most of the weather out, is nearly impossible to move up and then get to reseat properly without both hands and possibly a mirror. Therefore, I usually just use that on nice days.

My old man always told me you get what you pay for, but I got the Big Bore on sale for $100 bucks and I really like it.
TrumpNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:43 AM   #14
mikebmeehan

To buy a long lasting helmet for your ride is to click on this link: https://sportyjournal.com/how-to-buy...rcycle-helmet/ Since you have stated you want a full face helmet is to go for a helmet that matches your head size.
mikebmeehan is offline   Reply With Quote