Tank coating removal - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
johnmaryethan

Default Tank coating removal

Pictured is how the tank coating is coming out after almost 3 weeks in the vat at the radiator shop.

Not sure how to continue or what to do! Suggestions or ideas appreciated.
johnmaryethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
shovithead

Default Re: Tank coating removal

Muriatic acid and BB's. Shake like you are going down a bad dirt road. Let sit over night, repeat. After 24 hours, Remove fluid and BB's(magnet works well) and stop acidity with baking soda and H2O. Inspect, and repeat, with same acid and BB's. This will also remove all the rust in there, if any.

If you are not able to get the acid, the BB's will get a lot out. Just takes longer, and your arms will look like Popeye's before you are done. I have also used old nuts and bolts, but they don't get in the tight places as well. And they can dent and divit the tank, and possibly damage the paint. BB's are much better for salvaging the paint.

Just in case, you need to do the acid outdoors, as it can be caustic to the lungs, and wet the paint before pouring the acid in, and use a funnel. Gloves too, just in case you spill any on your hands. It just burns a little, until you wash off with regular water.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Donson

I have used the methods Shovithead suggested and it worked well for me.
I just wonder, if the tank had that much liner in it, it must have been very rough to start with. By the time you get all that liner out, you may have nothing but a sieve to work with.
Which tank is it? You might be ahead just to find a good used tank.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Ratso

What not to bother with: vinegar. I marinated my Kreem-befouled tank for two weeks with just slightly diluted (as per the advice I'd gotten) white vinegar. It softened the mess but failed to really do the trick. Ultimately the tank became a hang-on-the-wall piece -- it could still be salvaged, but another, nicer batch of tinware happened along and I grabbed it.

There was some sealer akin to Redkote visible in the tank where the Kreem had reluctantly sloughed off. The vinegar didn't touch that at all. Next time, I'll use Redkote.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
joe49

Acetone will remove tank sealer. Takes a week. Add a pint, cap and rotate tank a couple of times a day. Change the acetone twice every 2 day's. Pour used into a can and leave it open the acetone will evaporate and you will be left with a can of solid cream.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #6
Samhain

Kbs coatings has some strippers they say will work, some will even remove powder coat is the word. Haven’t tried it, but definitely have some tank sealer and power coat that need to come off. Two products sure to ruin motorcycles.....
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
richbob

Put in bonfire?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:39 AM   #8
M.O.Ther

If you don't care about the paint, there's a place in Piqua, OH called Aesthetic Finishers that does thermal stripping. The put it in an oven and bake it at 800 for 4 hours. (It's on their website) Gets rid of liner, paint, bondo, powdercoat. They quoted me about $100 for a pair of fatbob tanks a couple years ago.

I've also heard, but never actually seen it done, that you can do this at home if you have an electric stove with a self cleaning oven. Just run it through the oven cleaning cycle. Nice if you've got an old stove/oven in your garage. but never do it in the house. The smell will never leave the oven and your OL will never bake you another cookie.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
La Cisne

I never had any luck in removing tank sealer with anything. Used acetone, muratic acid, mineral spirits and alcohol.
La Cisne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
Samhain

I just burned most of it out of a pair of shovel tanks. Acetylene rich flame, fed it oxygen when it would burn. Couple inches from the filler, play with angle and mix. Looks like still some caked up down at the far end. Probably spent 20 minutes off and on.

Then did the alcohol and drywall screw shake. I think at this point some chemical remover would to a pretty good job, of course the paint did suffer some.

Use at your own discretion, not recently after fuel and other solvents..... fumes are pretty rough too.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
47Indianrider

I had to clean a pair of Chief tanks that had Red coating in them, used a 1/2 gallon of MEK. Just keep washing it around in the there for a couple of days and it will all soften up and rinse away.
47Indianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
magnum45pete

this works but if you wrap the tank in foam and bubble wrap you could wedge it inside the mixer and walk away for an hour or two till it's clean,... then learn ya lesson & don't use fuckin ''sealants'' again … they are all Shit !!….FACT !!
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
Phlogisticated

That's genius!!!
Phlogisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 AM   #14
M.O.Ther

The cement mixer is interesting. Another way is to wrap it in blankets so it can't move and put it in the clothes dryer on a no-heat cycle of some kind. I've got an old dryer in the basement that doesn't get used since the OL had a laundry room built into an upstairs closet some years back. (she didn't want to keep carrying laundry up and down 2 flights of stairs.) The gas is unhooked from the basement dryer, but it's still plugged in and will do this perfectly. You do have to turn the tank a few times to get all the surfaces, but you can start it and walk away and it'll stop itself after however long you set it.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
buckman50

The KBS aircraft stripper works great, but its caustic as fuck. Follow the directions to a tee and it will remove any sealant that's in there. If you have paint you wish to save, be careful, this stuff will destroy it.

I had a set of 70's 3.5 gal splits that were gnarly and the KBS stuff worked great to remove the sealant, but it will take a few days to soak and let the shit do its stuff. Invest in some good rubber gloves and source a local nuclear waste site when you are finished removing the sealant.

If you are going to re-seal them, Id recommend Red Kote.
buckman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Ratso

Second the RedKote.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote