Shovelhead carb replacement tips? Lectron? S&S? Other? - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
Blackbetty

Default Re: Shovelhead carb replacement tips? Lectron? S&S? Other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
NENAD,
I was lucky & found an original Lectron Kit for a Shovelhead New in Box from 1975.
it had everything needed from Aluminium manifold & Rubber, manifold rubber throttle & Cable, Carburettor, air filter backing plate.
it's a 38mm carb.
Lectron are very helpful people and prepare carbs to order, here is their web site link.... https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/

although Lectron no longer make the manifolds or filter backing plate, they are available on ebay USA... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ifold&_sacat=0
Did you get this running yet? I had a new 38mm powerjet and ended up putting the S&S back on. I want to give it another shot, so I'm going to swap out the thunderjetted super e for my lectron to see if there's something I missed. I didn't like the light throttle pull, inherent higher idle required off flatslides, and the lack of an acc. pump. But I've made a few changes to the motor I have yet to investigate with the lectron.
Blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
magnum45pete

hi, yea very happy with it, it's an older Lectron as I said, it was new in box but didn't have the powerjet type as they weren't made in 75.
I find it easy to start with the real choke (unlike the S&S with an enrichment device) & both power & economy have been improved,... all I had to set was the idle by a small amount,... my motor is a standard 1340 with stock cams etc & I don't try hole shots where the accelerator pump may help but gently open it just pulls & pulls
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #23
ozzie21

I'm gonna swap out my '74 x 74 cu. in. for an S&S 93" crate engine. My FXE has a Sifton 468 cam & modified Keihin Cv carb which works great with a 74 cu. in. engine. I've also got a Baker 6>4 tranny with OD & I'd like a bit more grunt to take advantage of the Baker tranny. I'm considering either the Lectron or a Mikuni. I had a Mikuni on my hotrod Evo FXLRC and it was also good. I have no experience with the Lectron but I want the best carb I can get. I've been looking for carb shootouts and dyno tests on the S&S, Mikuni and the Lectron but no luck. Any magazines and online websites likely don't like to do that becuse they'd get on the bad side of the manufacturers of the losing carbs. Anyone having more info let me know please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture '74 FXE lq.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	256610  
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
joe49

Go here to start.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/index.htm
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
joe49

S&S Carb 93'' page 7
http://www.laseur.nl/images/imagesstory/Shovel.pdf
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #26
magnum45pete

in the 3 years since this thread started I have replaced the Lectron on my Shovelhead, I changed it for a brand new 2nd Generation Lectron, & what a carb !! the old 75 one was great but the new Gen ones are even better with separate power Jet & idle circuits,... instant power and responsive slow or fast,.. this is film of it as fitted from the box, very first fire up & ride, I was about to lower the idle until I remembered to tell my buddy to retard the magneto, it ran so well I did NO adjustments from the box !!...you have got to try one or buy one !!
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote