Triumph TLS Front Hub/Brake: rivited body and trapped debris - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #21
Ducbsa

Default Re: Triumph TLS Front Hub/Brake: rivited body and trapped debris

Yeah, look at all the air in bar joists.

Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #22
ericthebeard

Yeah.... anyhow.

While I have knowledgeable people on the line, is the '68 hub different enough from the 69+ TLS hub that it would be worth getting ahold of one of those instead? Do the shoes fit through the years or would I be stuck with '68-only parts?

I'd like to invest a little now and not be backed into a corner... especially since the major costs in the conversion are the custom axle, new bearings, spacer stock, etc that'll all carry over.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
VonWegener

As far as I know the hubs are the same from 1966-1970. The TLS backing plate came out for 1968. For 1969 they changed the actuation angle of the TLS linkage which resulted in widening the forks 1/4" and a change to the backing plate. The wider forks also necessitated a wider axle. The '69-'70 TLS is widely regarded as the favorite brake on Triumphs. Triumph sold more bikes every year through the late sixties so there are a lot more '69-'70 hubs and brakes around than '68.
The insides of the TLS brakes are the same. The backing plates only vary in the cable anchor and of course the linkages are different from '68 to '69.
Maybe I should add that there is supposedly a 7" TLS brake that was used on 500cc Triumphs until 1972 but I never had one in my hands. I assume the 500cc Daytona models also shared the '69 650cc design until 1972. Triumph collectors will know that better.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #24
VonWegener

This is a '69-'70 TLS backing plate that has the cable anchor next to the lower leg for a simpler cable routing. Picture off the internet.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #25
Chadptke

Not to Hijack your thread Eric, but I have one exactly like that for sale currently if you want to buy incase it doesn't work as intended and you have a back up to experiment on. I too am rebuilding a front end. Plus we are helping each other other, Me=less junk, you=proud new owner. I am following this thread anyway in case something comes up I need from the advice handed out.
Chad
Chadptke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #26
MotorEddy

The three set screws are in fact original on the '68 hub; here are my hubs after blasting and powdercoat:-

and after re-building with stainless rims and spokes (I would have had the original spokes / nipples re-plated and used them...if they'd come with the bike):-

After wrapping in rubber:-

And here's the ugly 68-only cover:-

The brake plate from 69 and 70 models will fit the hub, but you can use the 68 brake plate - the only issue is the cable routing caused to catch the front mudguard and rub a little paint off. I have stainless 'guards, so not an issue for me.

After I'd re-spoked the wheel I fitted it into the forks and checked the rim was centred, then removed it again and clamped the axle in the big bench vice while finishing truing-up the wheel. Got it within 1/16" run-out, which is fine on a bike running knobbies. If you re-spoke with stainless, use some sort of lubricant on the threads and nipples to prevent the threads from galling. The cad or zinc plate on standard spokes acts like a lube and they don't gall in the same way as stainless.
MotorEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #27
antihero78

nothing to do with this thread but, i have the same hub. misplaced the hub awhile back. cleaning the garage, found the backing plate minus hub. gave the backing plate to local poor scrapper guy. found the hub, want to use it. no backing plate.
antihero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #28
ericthebeard

MotorEddy -

Beautiful bike, thanks for sharing those details.

For the post-68 pie plates, you say they are press fit? I just got one in on a lark, do they press around the bearing housing and stay put via friction there?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #29
MotorEddy

I was meaning that the 69 and 70 brake plates would fit the 68 hub, I didn't mean the pie-plate, though I believe the plain design pie plates would fit, too - the hub is common to all three years.
MotorEddy is offline   Reply With Quote