opinions wanted - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
manostihl

Default opinions wanted

I am looking at buying a sifton cam kit for my 83 shovel low rider. Has anyone on here used any of their products? Ive heard they're china junk and ive heard people say they have had no problems.
manostihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
VonWegener

Default Re: opinions wanted

Sifton was one of the great names in Harley Valvetrain components. The brand has been acquired by V-Twin Manufacturing and the whole line is now maufactured in Taiwan.
As a V-Twin dealer I have not had any problems but I also have heard of people experiencing failure. Whether that is due to actual component failure or mechanic error and the desire to badmouth anything foreign made I do not know.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
manostihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Sifton was one of the great names in Harley Valvetrain components. The brand has been acquired by V-Twin Manufacturing and the whole line is now maufactured in Taiwan.
As a V-Twin dealer I have not had any problems but I also have heard of people experiencing failure. Whether that is due to actual component failure or mechanic error and the desire to badmouth anything foreign made I do not know.
I knew they had been around forever just didnt know if it was true or not that they had been bought by a Taiwanese company. My shovel needs a new set of lifters and I just cant afford a set of Velva touches. I dont want to go too cheap though maybe ill give em a shot. Any other manufacturers out there make a good set of lifters and blocks at a decent price? Id like to do an upgraded camshaft too.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
geezer

Are you going to maintain the current compression ratio (pistons)? What do you seek from a cam upgrade? There are some good choices out there for Shovels that are a little more modern than the Sifton grinds especially with low compression.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
WhizzbangK.C.

Check out Vulcan Engineering. http://vulcanworks.net/

I gave these parts a try on the last shovel I built. I was highly impressed with the quality, fit, and performance of this set up.

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Hydraul...ovelheads.html
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
manostihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer;18is in good shape2770
Are you going to maintain the current compression ratio (pistons)? What do you seek from a cam upgrade? There are some good choices out there for Shovels that are a little more modern than the Sifton grinds especially with low compression.
Yes am going to maintain the same compression ratio as the top end is in Good and the engine runs well just a little more to be desired imo. I am looking for an all around power increase with the cam and lifter upgrade. I plan on swapping the drags out for a thunderheader only because i cant seem to find another system besides the super trapp which is outrageously priced. Come winter time I plan to go with an S&S 93 kit
Old 05-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
geezer

Than tough it out and wait for the winter upgrade. Sort the bike out for the summer so you can ride and then do the stroker kit with appropriate cam. At least that's what I'd recommend if you came to my shop for advice.

If you must do it now an Andrews A2 would be a nice bolt in. Won't work well at 93 inches though. And don't forget to include a good ignition with that upgrade.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
vtwinmotors

I believe that if you are planning a 93 inch hop up I would wait to buy a cam. Also think about all the choices of up grades. I have 74 inch motors and 88 inch also 93 inch in three different early style Harley engines. Want to make sure you choose the right cam for what ever you decide. Would love to sell you a cam now and a different one when you up grade to a bigger displacement. If it is running good now ride and enjoy. Come October start your build so you have it ready by early spring to break it in while spring is still cool in the evenings. Just my $0.02 on the idea.
vtwinmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
thecarfarmer

FWIW, I wouldn't trust a Taiwanese outfit to grind 4 lobes all indexed within 1 of their intended locations, with zero taper across the lobe, proper surface finish (no chatter), concentric bearing centerlines & correct diameters, timing gear indexed & marked correctly, well-formed tooth profiles, made of the material specified, and heat treated well.

Not that there aren't shops there that can do it - there are - just that usually guys who are lookin' for top quality stuff don't source it from 7000 miles away instead of 700 miles away. And they usually are looking to hit a price point with "good enough to not have a comeback" quality.

FWIW, I thought it was less of a gamble to buy eBay used Buell (Andrews) cams for my Sporty than buy something from offshore.

Just an opinion - but one from a guy who used to live in Taipei working for a company sending machine parts from Taiwan to the USA.

-WN

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
manostihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
Than tough it out and wait for the winter upgrade. Sort the bike out for the summer so you can ride and then do the stroker kit with appropriate cam. At least that's what I'd recommend if you came to my shop for advice.

If you must do it now an Andrews A2 would be a nice bolt in. Won't work well at 93 inches though. And don't forget to include a good ignition with that upgrade.
i agree you are definitely right i was just over thinking things. I'm just going upgrade the exhaust and lifters for now until i build my stroker.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
manostihl

Quote:

Whats wrong with points and a high voltage coil on a 93ci?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
76shuvlinoff

A lot of folks don't care much for Jims Products but their lifters seem to be good stuff. They will hold up when you go to the 93 too. Have you considered solids?

A Leineweber L3S is a great cam to kick the average shovel in the ass but there wasn't enough overlap when I put it in my 93 and gave me 205+ cyl psi. It could pull stumps but started hard and ran out of top end quick. I wanted to try the Leinweber L5S but at the time it was a 3 month wait so I installed an Andrews 7 that got me down to 185 psi and more top end than the L3S

Those Jims lifters I mentioned have 30,000 miles on them in my 93 now and have been whipped on by various cams: S&S 561, Andrews B, Leineweber L3S and now the Andrews 7. I am running their dual plugged superstock heads and never had to do anything about the clearance up there. Factory heads may need some love.

FYI Leineweber cams are kinda square, they tend to bitch slap a valve train and are a bit noisier. They do perform.

Not everyone is a Thunderheader fan. It's not going to be your typical straight piped shovel (which is a fuckin epic sound) but I love mine.

Then throw a 44mm SE CV carb on it just to piss everyone off.

Last edited by 76shuvlinoff; 05-13-2016 at 07:27 PM.
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
johnjzjz

THIS >>>> Leineweber L3S you cant go wrong with this choice from 76shov above
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #14
geezer

Leineweber cams make the power. But use his springs or what he recommends for best results.

What's wrong with points? Nothing is wrong with the points (other than wear) but the advance mechanism is too fast for a big chamber with a dome in the middle. Especially when you factor in the shit gas we get now. Even premium..........well it ain't so premium and quality is inconsistent. You can screw around with springs and cutting weights but why not just live in the 21st century and do it right? You're gonna spend a few grand on the parts and labor to machine why not spend a couple hundred more for a decent iggy? The spark is how enough with points but it will ping between 2500-3500 RPM soon as it begins to build cylinder pressure. Or you can retard it and lose power and efficiency to stop it. There's no happy medium with mechanical advance.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
johnmaryethan

Used a Sifton Cam in my 83 FXWG along with a S&S Super B with good luck but that was back in 84 - 85. Was not aware the V-Twin Manufacturing had purchased them since that time. Used the cam and the solid lifters that they were offering at the time.
johnmaryethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #16
manostihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76shuvlinoff View Post
A lot of folks don't care much for Jims Products but their lifters seem to be good stuff. They will hold up when you go to the 93 too. Have you considered solids?

A Leineweber L3S is a great cam to kick the average shovel in the ass but there wasn't enough overlap when I put it in my 93 and gave me 205+ cyl psi. It could pull stumps but started hard and ran out of top end quick. I wanted to try the Leinweber L5S but at the time it was a 3 month wait so I installed an Andrews 7 that got me down to 185 psi and more top end than the L3S

Those Jims lifters I mentioned have 30,000 miles on them in my 93 now and have been whipped on by various cams: S&S 561, Andrews B, Leineweber L3S and now the Andrews 7. I am running their dual plugged superstock heads and never had to do anything about the clearance up there. Factory heads may need some love.

FYI Leineweber cams are kinda square, they tend to bitch slap a valve train and are a bit noisier. They do perform.

Not everyone is a Thunderheader fan. It's not going to be your typical straight piped shovel (which is a fuckin epic sound) but I love mine.

Then throw a 44mm SE CV carb on it just to piss everyone off.
im just gonna wait on the cam until I do my 93ci build. I love the sound of my drags I just dont like the performance. I currently have hydraulic lifters with solid inserts in my bike but they are loose in the lifter block and rock side to side that's why I want new ones before they grenade and destroy more than just themselves
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #17
manostihl

Quote:
Leineweber cams make the power. But use his springs or what he recommends for best results.

What's wrong with points? Nothing is wrong with the points (other than wear) but the advance mechanism is too fast for a big chamber with a dome in the middle. Especially when you factor in the shit gas we get now. Even premium..........well it ain't so premium and quality is inconsistent. You can screw around with springs and cutting weights but why not just live in the 21st century and do it right? You're gonna spend a few grand on the parts and labor to machine why not spend a couple hundred more for a decent iggy? The spark is how enough with points but it will ping between 2500-3500 RPM soon as it begins to build cylinder pressure. Or you can retard it and lose power and efficiency to stop it. There's no happy medium with mechanical advance.
I see I see. Noted and added to my list ! I already have s&s super stock cases on my bike and an s&s oil pump so all I need for machine work is the cases bored and heads machined correct?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
geezer

Should do it. Check rod clearance. Cam lobe clearance will need to be verified as well. Never assume. If it's OK no issue. If not............at the very least you're taking it apart. You kicking or running a button?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #19
manostihl

Quote:
Should do it. Check rod clearance. Cam lobe clearance will need to be verified as well. Never assume. If it's OK no issue. If not............at the very least you're taking it apart. You kicking or running a button?
Im running a button with a high torque gear starter but im going to get a kicker kit this year also because I prefer a kickstart
Old 05-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #20
geezer

Do yourself a favor and keep the button. Kicking a stroker 'taint easy work. Consider if the kicker will be a backup or primary means of starting before choosing compression ratio and cam. My personal preference for a kicker 93" stroker that's built to ride daily would be 7.5:1 and an Andrews #2. Makes for a nice daily rider w/o racebike intensions.