Bring JJ back to life!! - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #41
Dan Boy

Default Re: Bring JJ back to life!!

I come here to talk bike stuff. Not any bike stuff but the kind of bike stuff that passes on this board. If I have a need to talk about something else, I go somewhere else. Normally the pub.

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #42
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
The concern here is that if you allow an off-topic section, then that mentality quickly spreads into normal posts and becomes a mess. There are other forums that have off-topic sections, but the off-topic mentality blends into the pertinent sections.
that explains it, I didn't see it from that point of view, which makes sense.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #43
Medyo Bastos

I really doubt off topic posts are the reason. People are spending less time on computers and spending more time being connected. Iím old fashioned and could give a rats ass about being connected, but others have a need for attention...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #44
Rob Axel

I can't speak for anyone else than myself.. but I believe the "off topic" stuff may just be the result. As I stated before, on other forums I was asked why I spelled things (other manufactures) the way I did .. I replied, "I didn't want to pi*soff the mods, and get my thread/post deleted"...
This was a direct result of wanting to contribute, but walking on eggshells here. Like I said.. I can't speak for everybody.. but other forums that I belong to aren't as "heavy handed" with content being "exactly specific", "rules heavy"...it takes the enjoyment out of the sharing experiemce this forum has been known for..
Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #45
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
I can't speak for anyone else than myself.. but I believe the "off topic" stuff may just be the result. As I stated before, on other forums I was asked why I spelled things (other manufactures) the way I did .. I replied, "I didn't want to pi*soff the mods, and get my thread/post deleted"...
This was a direct result of wanting to contribute, but walking on eggshells here. Like I said.. I can't speak for everybody.. but other forums that I belong to aren't as "heavy handed" with content being "exactly specific", "rules heavy"...it takes the enjoyment out of the sharing experiemce this forum has been known for..
No thread or post is going to get deleted here for spelling errors.

There is no reason to walk on eggshells here. Keep your content on point and forget about the off-topic stuff, that simple.

What happens on other forums is fine, hence the reason why you can belong to as many forums as you'd like. Here we have rules, like other forums, that's all.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #46
Phlogisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
If I have a need to talk about something else, I go somewhere else. Normally the pub.
Preach it Brother! (Sorry, I got a little excited there)

In reality, there are plenty of other outlets for "non-JJ" topic stuff. A couple that I frequent will occasionally devolve into name calling & crankiness that I don't care for. Yes, I just skip over those posts, but it's nice to know that coming here we'll be talking about old school chops & stuff & that's it. I'm OK with the limits of this board. There are lotsa other places (& I go there often) where other topics are welcome. As I said, I just skip over the ones I don't like.
That said, I hope this board stays healthy & active within the topics welcomed. I think there's enough of us around to keep it going for a while anyway.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #47
JAWS

It ebbs and flows. Still my favorite site. But I only frequent craigslist and Egay every once in a blue unicorns ass.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 AM   #48
Jeremy24

i wasnt even referring to off topic stuff when i started this

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180
Atlas Series 3000 12" Lathe

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
68' Xlh (kick/electric) restore project
76' FX coneknuck-- w/panhead rear section (mechanical
brake etc.) and knuckle heads --- long term project
but in the works
Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #49
Rob Axel

Don't get me wrong .. this has got to be one of the best forums out there!! To include the rules.. I may not agree with all of them but again, I am only a invited visitor.
I have not been here in a while, (sold shovel, triumph on back burner).. ran across this thread after dropping back by and tried to figure what would be reasons why activity here isn't as prevalent.. and the only thing that crossed my mind (from first had experience) was what I brought up..
It's only an opinion .. everyone has theirs and ... well you know the rest
48-I wasn't talking about threads being deleted for "spelling errors"..,it was for the content of what was mis spelled

Last edited by Rob Axel; 02-05-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #50
Just Passin' Thru...

Its chuggin along. Looks to be more than 10 build threads on the first page.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #51
longbow

I'm new here and think its great only places like this to get any info other than a manual I like it.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #52
crazy b

I feel like I missed out on the hey-day, was a lurker for a while with no bike and pipe dreams. Joined in 2011 but newbie with very big lack of skill and knowledge intimidated me from posting for a long time. I still feel like I have very little skill/knowledge but finally getting more comfortable to post stuff.

You can learn a lot more from detailed posts than you can on simple social media paragraph. It's interesting to me. Maybe people are just complacent in the lazy post for a million likes/shares. I'm just obsessed with motorcycles/learning about them and this has been one of the best collections of vintage bike knowledge I've ever came across. I hope it picks back up and plan on continuing to contribute where I can.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #53
JAWS

Only way it lives like that is with us, the members, doing what we needed and couldnt find when we were looking.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #54
Thebigguy0811

I have been on here for a while. I was turned off and turned out after posting some pictures of the survivor I built in the 70's. I got a lot of negative comments about My taste of styles and choices about MY rebuild. Not thin skinned, just not willing to listen to any crap. I have been riding and wrenching since the 60's. I AM OLD school. No excuses no explanations.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #55
JasonMcElroy

^^^^ Yep. There was a lot of thinly veiled "lifestyle" bullshit here a decade ago. I came for the metal. I continue to come for the people that remain.

Jason
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #56
JAWS

That is the truth. It was busier... true, alot of opinions and judgement with not enough tech. Still it was way better than that other place... I loved it.

I dont stir the pot anymore and decided to be more helpful rather than mess around and watch for an outcome, as my own entertainment. I found Im not as smart as I though I was.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #57
Rob Axel

+1^^^^
Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #58
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
That is the truth. It was busier... true, alot of opinions and judgement with not enough tech. Still it was way better than that other place... I loved it.

I dont stir the pot anymore and decided to be more helpful rather than mess around and watch for an outcome, as my own entertainment. I found Im not as smart as I though I was.
Always people who are smarter and more skilled in all walks of life sir. Being humble is a very good trait, similar to not having 3 wives and common sense!!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #59
sidehacker

I had a stroke last October, that has kept me out of the garage. Hope to get back after it when the weather gets better. Still hope to finish my 63 FLH bobber.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #60
thecarfarmer

Wanna' bring the JJ back to life?

My .02: look at what was changed before membership fell off.

(and, no, I'm not recommend we exhume Dragon)

But, so many people who were valuable contributors have left due to being with outright banned, or just moderated until they left

gabacho por vida
Closed Thread