Who are you passing your craft to? - Page 17 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 AM   #321
Jeremy24

Default Re: Who are you passing your craft to?

my son, hes about to turn 5 this year. He sits on my lap and wants to wrench while i work or he sits on the couch in my shop and hangs out with me till he falls asleep. Hes always pretending to work on his toy bikes. hoping it stays with him and we can ride bikes together.

Im building him a 125cc hummer right now for when he gets older, gonna make it looks like a mini chop.

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180
Atlas Series 3000 12" Lathe

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
68' Xlh (kick/electric) restore project
76' FX coneknuck-- w/panhead rear section (mechanical
brake etc.) and knuckle heads --- long term project
but in the works
Jeremy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #322
[email protected]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy24 View Post
my son, hes about to turn 5 this year. He sits on my lap and wants to wrench while i work or he sits on the couch in my shop and hangs out with me till he falls asleep. Hes always pretending to work on his toy bikes. hoping it stays with him and we can ride bikes together.

Im building him a 125cc hummer right now for when he gets older, gonna make it looks like a mini chop.
he will ride with you - this is my son at 3 - started him on this with training wheels at 1-1/2 - Yamaha pee wee 50 - I taught at least 25 kids on this bike - he rode this without the trainers about the same time he rode a bicycle - beats the hell out of pedaling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	253590  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #323
JasonMcElroy

Me and my youngest son were working on the truck yesterday during the super bowl. He insists on turning wrenches and not just watching. If I don't let him help, he gets bored or mad and leaves.

I talk to him and teach him as if he were an adult. It's up to him to ask for explanation where he wants it.

Jason

JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM   #324
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

he will ride with you - this is my son at 3 - started him on this with training wheels at 1-1/2 - Yamaha pee wee 50 - I taught at least 25 kids on this bike - he rode this without the trainers about the same time he rode a bicycle - beats the hell out of pedaling
Thats awesome!!!! thats what im looking to start my son off on. I ride bmx, not like my younger days, so i started him off really young on a bmx balance bike and his balance is really good now. So hopefully i can find a good deal on a small 50cc before spring hits

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 02-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #325
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy24 View Post
Thats awesome!!!! thats what im looking to start my son off on. I ride bmx, not like my younger days, so i started him off really young on a bmx balance bike and his balance is really good now. So hopefully i can find a good deal on a small 50cc before spring hits
I wouldn't say I was passing on a craft - I fix what I can and get help when I need it - there are some very talented guys posting builds here that actually have a "craft" -my son and his friends think I know way more than I really do - I like motorcycles and so does my kid and a bunch of kids I taught to ride on the 50 - if you can't get hurt it ain't fun
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #326
Nenad

It's a generation thing... and maybe a big city issue...

Some 15 years ago, while still in Sweden, I renovated a classic, very collectible moped (50cc) to a 'better than new' condition. And expected my kids to fight over it. Alas, my daughter, then in her mid teens, was dismissive and said that she preferred a car instead. My son, years younger, questioned the need for it, with public transport being freely available. In the end, I sold the moped to a local collector, lamenting my kids' total lack of interest.

As a toddler, my daughter loved to hang around the garage when I was tinkering with the bike or one of the cars, 'helping' me by grabbing a spanner any spanner and imitating what I was doing. But then she grew up, got her license as soon as she turned 18 (30 this year), and developed a definite preference for exotic, sexy and fast cars. As long as she doesn't have to get her hands dirty to keep them on the road, as she says. (Maybe it my own fault for having introduced her to British handmade cars years ago, and exposing her to me being covered in grease and sweat, lying under the car and swearing...)

My son, on the other hand, still insists that public transport is the only way to travel, at least where he lives, in Stockholm. At the age of 23, he still doesn't have a license, nor does he want one. Doing university physics and electronics, he's definitely techie enough, he just doesn't see the point of using "stone age, environmentally unfriendly vehicles."

As my wife isn't interested in the bike either, I'll probably get buried sitting on it...
Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #327
[JP]

My 7 year old girl.
she loves being in the garage with me an getting her hands dirty with oil and grease.

I'm a full time single dad, juggling a full time job and doing school runs, looking after her etc.
so every little spare time I have to go in the garage..she's about and wanting to get involved. Been like that since she was able to walk..

here's a photo of her from a month or so ago having a go on the TIG welder.
yes gloves etc are not correct, but she has all the safety gear now, at the time was only a quick go as she had asked me what welding was... and what best than just show?

and fair play to her, she has a very steady hand. even with the WP26 torch.
I have now fitted the smaller WP9 and she finds it easier to hold. She has also started adding filler rod.... I'm still in control of the pedal though. baby steps... baby steps.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 AM   #328
thecarfarmer

Well, I tried passing the torch...

Don't think the kid really likes bikes or cars the way I do.

(at least bikes, I'm not as much of a car guy)

But, the one thing she did get from me is the mindset that if she wants to fix something, she'll figure it out.

Like she did on the side of the road, putting a heater fan in her Chevy, driving to Austin, from Seattle.

Just bought a part, and some tools, as got it done.

Ha! Guess I did pass the torch after all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053_1549527733212.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	253622  

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #329
JasonMcElroy

I'm less concerned about passing any particular craft or interest I possess than I am about teaching the DIY and the project mindset.

I don't want the world to seem a black box mystery to them.

I don't want them to feel helpless and need to call someone every time something doesn't work.

I will consider it a success if they . . .

* get ideas and want to turn them into something real

* are creative and willing to take risks in the things they want to try

* can formulate a plan of attack

* have an idea about effort required and value obtained

* can be honest about what they know and what they don't

* know how to pickup the skills and knowledge they'll need, be it through books, mentors, or trial and error

* can take pleasure in success and a job well done

* can take lessons from failure and solid effort without shutting down

My wife and I feel that with these, our kids can go anywhere and do anything.

If they end up not liking motorcycles, I still will either way ;-0

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #330
Ratso

Jason wrote: "I talk to him and teach him as if he were an adult. It's up to him to ask for explanation where he wants it."

I never got this in re mechanical stuff -- I'll spare you any details about my old man -- but my much older brother & sister treated me in precisely this way, concerning the things that interested them, and god it was good just for the respect that is inherent in treating a kid that way.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #331
[email protected]

seeing little girls welding is fantastic
you can't make kids like working on bikes or riding them - but a lot of kids will take to what mom or dad does I think - not all though - and that's ok too - I try to really listen to what kids say and treat them as equal
I always quote bob Dylan to my son
"there's no success in failure and failure is no success at all "
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #332
Jeremy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
seeing little girls welding is fantastic
you can't make kids like working on bikes or riding them - but a lot of kids will take to what mom or dad does I think - not all though - and that's ok too - I try to really listen to what kids say and treat them as equal
I always quote bob Dylan to my son
"there's no success in failure and failure is no success at all "
Same here, my son is going on 5 and i talk to him like hes an adult without the cuss words and i really think it helped him establish his vocabulary, because i will hear him say something to his mom that he heard from talking to me. cracks me up everytime.

Yeah you cant force it, my son is just really into anything with a motor or wheels and always has been, planes, tanks, buses, hot rods, bikes, semi trucks lol he will be like "dad look at that cool truck" and it will just been some semi you and me have seen 8 million of haha

AHP Alphatig 201XD
Lincoln PowerMig 180

______

68' Ironhead Chop
80' 80" Shovel Chop
but in the works
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #333
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

I'm with Jason on this. My kid has slowly dipped into motorcycling pretty hardcore. I smiled today as I heard him roar off on his little bike on the way to school this morning.

He's not interested in building.

Yet.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #334
[JP]

I agree with the above, I don't force it on my little girl.... but she's always been around bikes since the day she was born, so she actually likes to get involved, which is awesome for me and always proud of her.

she's very inquisitive, always asking questions. she knows exactly what pistons are for and how their movement make a car go...
i think it's awesome
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #335
flatheadmatt

Ive got a 14y/o son who doesnt have any interest in bikes. Hes more into lifted pickups and video games. He is into fabrication though, just not with bikes. My daughter on the other hand.....she pounded the neck cups in my frame when she was 11. (Shes 12 now). Ive found that she approaches me when she wants to help. Ive taught her basic things like chain tension and kickstarting. I hope that she will ride my U chopper to college someday. I live across the street from a grade school in a ranching town. When i fire up my bike about a dozen boys run up and press against the fence smiling, cowboy hats and all.......
flatheadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #336
Thebigguy0811

If there were any ones near here I'm up for helping them out. But like everyone else is saying, kids don't want to get dirty. I'm retiring and I hope to see more people stop by my home shop. I haven't had to chase anyone away for awhile