How to make a new paint job check/crack (on purpose) - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #21
thecarfarmer

I was watching a video on epoxy floor covering where they got it to crack by misting some alcohol from a spray bottle.

Might be something to look into.

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #22
thecarfarmer

Oh, the other thing... I've seen where guys have cut "cracks" into paint with an X-Acto knife, then scuff & rub out

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #23
Thunderbird

Default Re: How to make a new paint job check/crack (on purpose)

i'm with pete and Cajun on this one , BUT, I do get it.

back in the day the effect was achieved by accident using 2pk paint and not enough (?) hardner/catalyst, you'd put it under lamps and as the thinner/ solvent evaporated the paint would shrink and crack. ( quite different effect from pickling where you had two incompatible mediums, say acrylic and cellulose)

looking for different paint effects. and this is where the vreeble comes in (along with eerie dess, flip flop; hey, this was the 70's) grab a copy of The Art of Custom Painting it has all the tricks from back in the day, Including lacquering magazine photos, lifting out the ink, rubbing of the paper then laquering to finished piece, now you want feathering out edges that's the job.

Look at Andy Warhol. Roy Lichtenstein art work done in acrylic, that stuff is all cracking up and someone will end up with a million $ pile of dust on the floor, but that;s the elephant in the room, no one talks about patina in the art world.

Gotta go, damn kids on the lawn again.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 11-10-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #24
JAWS

Get off the lawn ya damn kids!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #25
richbob

Kevin spacey chased them off my lawn.

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #26
WillPhelps52

I'm an old fart, too, but I kind of see where the kids are coming from.

Old, faded, weathered... If they like that look but don't want to wait 25 years to get it, maybe faking it will do. Heck, we did it with our denim jackets back in the day. Washed them dozens of times, beat them against the wall, spilled oil and gas on them. Anything we could think of to make a new denim look old. Was that "fake"? Maybe just giving 'patina' a head start.

It might be a fun project to try and duplicate the aged look. That first Youtube video someone posted with the guitar didn't do it at all.

Now get off my lawn!
WillPhelps52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #27
RidingHood

Crackle paint and vreeble do not look like cracked paint caused by age.
Fake patina definitely has its place , alot of original bikes would look stupid if a replacement part is not matched to the existing finish.
Restorers of electric guitars apply their lacquers and hit them with freeze spray to get the correct cracking patterns .
I have not tried it yet but as an experiment, using faster drying thinner paint coat over a slower drying retarder thinner paint coat may just work to generate cracks .
I personally like fake patina when done to the standard of Gak of Hawgholic in Japan or Denis Babin who excells in his work ,its actually harder to do well than a show paint finish ,it is a skill and thats why it is hard to get right.

Last edited by RidingHood; 11-11-2017 at 01:20 AM.
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:57 AM   #28
Thunderbird

never seen Deny Babin's work in the 'flesh' but you just can't fault it (n0 pun intended), the fellah is a master pf his art.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
reverb

...hello, all the advice here is good, however, mostly DO NOT finish like what you are looking for. Only the methods to put a patina in furniture or some tanks, but for a first timer, would be very difficult. I am not trying to disappoint you but again, with all these shrinking methods suggested, you will obtain a paint job that will look bad not "old look a like" more if is your first time doing that.
So more "safety" is to go with that patina effect, but again, you will finish with a not so old effect however, not so bad like with the other methods.
-I build surfboards (but I am in the finish detailing process of several stuff make it happens), and painted (or do color works without paint) several things with all types of paints, mostly surfboards, but bikes, t shirts, houses, etc for 30 years.
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #30
VonWegener

The current king of patina is Dennis Babin and his paint jobs are fantastic. He will match a fender to a tank halve that sat on a shelf for 50 years and you cannot tell which is the old part. You can find his work on Instagram. Search for DBabin.
Bob is right. The lacquer over enamel crinkles but is doesn't look aged which is what KBB asked for.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #31
johnbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
Shoot lacquer over an enamel base and it will crack immediately.
This.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #32
mrwelbilt

Greetings everyone, there seems to be a little confusion between wrinkling and crazing / checking . if your are applying lacquer based products over enamel you will achieve wrinkling affect....the crazing / checking affect that occurs to aged lacquer was a result of age and tempature / UV exposure . back in the 60s and 70s when GM cars were still being painted with acrylic lacquer often within 2to 3 years the hoods ,roof and trunks were often crazing because of the heat from the motors and sun exposure... A close friend of mine had a metalflake lacquer job on his custom 46 ford he drove it to a car show in december at the Harrisburg farmshow arena and as he drove the car into the much warmer buliding the entire car paintjob crazed/checked ....SO from that i would assume that if you can find enough products to do a lacquer job then but the tins in a freezer then heat them up suddenly you should achieve your desired results....on a follow up ,my friend took the car home after the show and masked it up, then sprayed lacquer retarder on it over a period of a week to resolve all the clear and it reflowed all the crazing smooth again , best regards Mike
mrwelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #33
Kevin Lee

I assume you're looking for something like this?

Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote