Star hub vs Mid star - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #61
ElekVins

Default Re: Star hub vs Mid star

That'll be awesome and help me big time Jaws !! )
ElekVins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #62
M.O.Ther

The bolt spacing is the same, but the hole on the '58-'62 backing plate is smaller, so the early wheel cyl will fit on the late backing plate. It just looks kinda strange with the small protrusion sticking out of the big hole.

To put the late wheel cylinder on the early plate it would require making the opening bigger. There might be a clearance issue there too with the drum.

Also, the bore size of the later wheel cylinder is larger, giving you a little more hydraulic advantage. Harley did this because the later shoes are a little wider and needed a little extra push.

edit: I just went out and looked at the both styles of shoes and both wheel cylinders. Either shoe ends will fit in both wheel cylinders. And, the distance from the mounting face to the centerline of the cylinder is the same on both wheel cylinders. You do need to use the shoes that match your drum/backing plate combination.

So, other than looking a little funny, and needing just a little more effort at the pedal all other things being equal, it should work. You could help the pedal effort thing along by using a 5/8 bore master cylinder instead of the factory 3/4" bore unit. GME makes one with the Wagner Lockheed bolt pattern that's a direct swap.

Last edited by M.O.Ther; 05-04-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add information
M.O.Ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #63
JAWS

Here ya go.

Mother's dead nuts on that advice. Good for me too, I didnt know about the direct fit master.

Got a part number?

Anywho....

Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #64
Just Passin' Thru...

I don't know if this helps but here is a part number for the 58-62, my used old backing plate had an krusty one like this so I'm gonna try this new one. ...I'll let you know if it works
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #65
ElekVins

All right, thanks all for your answers and pics.
I think I'm gonna order an older wheel cylinder then.
I have a clearance issue with the later one and my axle plate (no room for the banjo bolt if I want to keep all the adjustment room of the axle plate) and don't want to cut the fender struts mount on the axle plate...

I'm hopin' the older wheel cylinder having a flat banjo fitting it might be little less out? Don't need that much to make it work...
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	214242  
Old 05-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #66
Just Passin' Thru...

I had more or less the same thing going on, here is a pic of the other side.
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #67
JAWS

I forget the part number, but you can get the brake line fitting connection on the other side of the wheel cylinder. I think they were for old Jeeps. Try yer parts house and see if they have books.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #68
thecarfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I forget the part number, but you can get the brake line fitting connection on the other side of the wheel cylinder. I think they were for old Jeeps. Try yer parts house and see if they have books.
My Google-fu was feeling strong this morning... wish Dragon were here for an "LMGTFY" link...

According to this thread, the P/N of the Jeep/AMC cylinder is WC9004. There are also some ways to find other part #s - I'm too lazy to keep digging; think someone mentioned 'em in the thread.

Checking @ Rockauto, it looks like the cylinder in question is LF; the same cylinder w/ the fitting drilled on the opposite side should (read: "SHOULD"...) be WC9005.

Now, off the computer and on to the bike!

-WN

gabacho por vida
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #69
JAWS

Let me google that for you Hehehe. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #70
ElekVins

front brake left side for 41mm forks:

are they different for star and midstar hub?
or you can mount any of them together?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #71
joe49

45805-50 1949 to 1968
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #72
ElekVins

Thanks Joe.

So I guess it's also possible to bolt a midstar juice drum to a star hub then...
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #73
joe49

From memory I'm thinking Nope. Unless you did some machining.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #74
ElekVins

if a '67 midstar can bolt to a '52 front drum when it also bolt on a juice drum, why a '52 star hub couldn't bolt on a '67 juice drum...?
Never tried it, just curious.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #75
M.O.Ther

Front or rear, a mid star hub will bolt to the drum for a star hub, but you can't use it that way because you won't have a bearing (or bearings) on the brake side of the hub. A drum for a mid star will not bolt to a star hub. The protrusion on the brake side of the star hub that goes into the brake drum is quite a bit bigger than the bearing bore in the mid star style drum. In a pinch, you could machine a mid star style drum to fit the star hub by boring the center hole larger and getting rid of the section that holds the bearing(s).

Or if you had too many parts, access to a machine shop and a lot of time on your hands you could do this:

Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #76
ElekVins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
45805-50 1949 to 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Ther View Post
A drum for a mid star will not bolt to a star hub. The protrusion on the brake side of the star hub that goes into the brake drum is quite a bit bigger than the bearing bore in the mid star style drum. In a pinch, you could machine a mid star style drum to fit the star hub by boring the center hole larger and getting rid of the section that holds the bearing(s).
These two quotes are quite contradictory.

My original question was if I could bolt a left side drum brake made for a midstar to a star hub wheel.

Anybody have done it?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #77
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElekVins View Post
These two quotes are quite contradictory.

My original question was if I could bolt a left side drum brake made for a midstar to a star hub wheel.

Anybody have done it?
No contradiction. 45805-50 is a 1949 to 1968 lower left fork slider.

and will accept either complete wheel brake system but a frankenstein will require some machine work.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #78
M.O.Ther

The simple answer to your question is that you have to use the drum that matches the hub.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #79
ElekVins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
No contradiction. 45805-50 is a 1949 to 1968 lower left fork slider.

and will accept either complete wheel brake system but a frankenstein will require some machine work.
Ok, when you posted the part number with no explanation I thought you were giving the part number of the drum as it was my question and I had no doubt the slider is the same.

Quote:
The simple answer to your question is that you have to use the drum that matches the hub.
This is simple and answer my question.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #80
mandrew

Quote:
The bolt spacing is the same, but the hole on the '58-'62 backing plate is smaller, so the early wheel cyl will fit on the late backing plate. It just looks kinda strange with the small protrusion sticking out of the big hole.

To put the late wheel cylinder on the early plate it would require making the opening bigger. There might be a clearance issue there too with the drum.

Also, the bore size of the later wheel cylinder is larger, giving you a little more hydraulic advantage. Harley did this because the later shoes are a little wider and needed a little extra push.

edit: I just went out and looked at the both styles of shoes and both wheel cylinders. Either shoe ends will fit in both wheel cylinders. And, the distance from the mounting face to the centerline of the cylinder is the same on both wheel cylinders. You do need to use the shoes that match your drum/backing plate combination.

So, other than looking a little funny, and needing just a little more effort at the pedal all other things being equal, it should work. You could help the pedal effort thing along by using a 5/8 bore master cylinder instead of the factory 3/4" bore unit. GME makes one with the Wagner Lockheed bolt pattern that's a direct swap.
I'm jumping back a bit here but this struck my curiosity.

I use a WC 9005 wheel cylinder (which I believe is a 1" bore rather than the original 1 1/8" bore) on my mid star rear brake. I use the typical Wagner 3/4" bore master cylinder.

If I were to use a 5/8 bore master cylinder would it take less effort to stop my motorcycle. Right?

What if I were to use a metric MX style 14mm master cylinder? Is that too small of a bore? (5/8" is about 16mm)

I'm considering hiding the master cylinder on a new project I have.
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote