First Harley, first ride... - Page 10 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #181
JAWS

Default Re: First Harley, first ride...

I solder leads on the switch and use heat shrink to keep it protected throught the bar.

I make my connections either on the pigtailed leads and stuff them in the bar up top or pull the wires through the bars attached to the switch and make the connection by the frame.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #182
rhysmort

You don't need any of that cluttering shit mate!

I've never ever had any issue with any of it here, I even run my number plate vertically. No police have ever caused me an issue. As for inspection, you'll be fine. They're looking more for numbers and fraudulent shit than the peripherals. Your bike looks a lot more OEM than my flatty and I had that reg'd no problem.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #183
CookieMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I solder leads on the switch and use heat shrink to keep it protected throught the bar.

I make my connections either on the pigtailed leads and stuff them in the bar up top or pull the wires through the bars attached to the switch and make the connection by the frame.

Thanks JAWS, Iíll try not to melt the insulating block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
You don't need any of that cluttering shit mate!

I've never ever had any issue with any of it here, I even run my number plate vertically. No police have ever caused me an issue. As for inspection, you'll be fine. They're looking more for numbers and fraudulent shit than the peripherals. Your bike looks a lot more OEM than my flatty and I had that reg'd no problem.

Rhys, I just donít have the riding experience that you, and probably most other members here do. Iíve had a licence for 15 years and have jumped on bikes at any opportunity but Iíve never had the funds to own a bike I like long enough for it to feel familiar, before some other financial commitment cropped up (house / kids / long commute with heavy tools etc etc) and itís had to go. Iíve been long term caretaker of one or two mid-capacity 80s Jap bikes, and people Iíve known with bikes of any sort have taken up my offers of fixing whatever / welding on the parts they snapped off for free if they are happy to let me tool around on the bike for a weekend, which usually works.

I canít avoid fast, busy roads where I live, and frankly Iím nervous (read Ďa total pussyí). The thought of getting into difficulty at high speed and not knowing how to get myself out of trouble fills me with dread. I donít have any riding buddies etc. at present, I did have but he died in January - fuck, Iím sad he didnít get to see it finished.

So, at least while I get used to it again Iíll make mistakes, probably the sort that will draw attention to me from anyone who isnít already looking around for the source of noise.

I plan to put it in my work van, drive to a big industrial estate I know on a Sunday and get used to it, stopping capabilities etc., tuning up as I go without worrying about traffic. Then I might feel better.

When I finally had enough cash (so I thought, hahaha) to own a bike I really wanted I considered a nice, safe modern machine for exactly 4.5 seconds - they are just not my thing. In hindsight this is not a good bike for me, but I love it and doubt Iíll sell it for a long time, if ever. Iím not worthy of it at present is what I mean.

So, a dip switch isnít exactly a safety feature, but a horn might be useful, and a kill switch somewhere I can reach it with the clutch held in could help in a sticky situation.

Itís all registered now anyway, nothing much stopping me apart from procrastinating.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #184
joe49

Have you taken the CBT course? Here the MSF also has advanced courses. Maybe you could find something there. Few hours in class is better than injuries. Especially if your supporting a family.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #185
CookieMonster

Default First Harley, first ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Have you taken the CBT course? Here the MSF also has advanced courses. Maybe you could find something there. Few hours in class is better than injuries. Especially if your supporting a family.

Haha, thanks Joe - yeah you need to do a CBT basic training course and then they let you ride small bikes for a few years before taking a test on a bigger bike. I have done that and ridden a number of large capacity bikes, but Iím out of practise and most of them that I used for any extended period handled well and stopped faster than they could accelerate, if you know what I mean.

I am heartened by the pictures of teenagers in 1950s USA riding these...

Last edited by CookieMonster; 04-03-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #186
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Thanks JAWS, Iíll try not to melt the insulating block.

Rhys, I just donít have the riding experience that you, and probably most other members here do. Iíve had a licence for 15 years and have jumped on bikes at any opportunity but Iíve never had the funds to own a bike I like long enough for it to feel familiar, before some other financial commitment cropped up (house / kids / long commute with heavy tools etc etc) and itís had to go. Iíve been long term caretaker of one or two mid-capacity 80s Jap bikes, and people Iíve known with bikes of any sort have taken up my offers of fixing whatever / welding on the parts they snapped off for free if they are happy to let me tool around on the bike for a weekend, which usually works.

I canít avoid fast, busy roads where I live, and frankly Iím nervous (read Ďa total pussyí). The thought of getting into difficulty at high speed and not knowing how to get myself out of trouble fills me with dread. I donít have any riding buddies etc. at present, I did have but he died in January - fuck, Iím sad he didnít get to see it finished.

So, at least while I get used to it again Iíll make mistakes, probably the sort that will draw attention to me from anyone who isnít already looking around for the source of noise.

I plan to put it in my work van, drive to a big industrial estate I know on a Sunday and get used to it, stopping capabilities etc., tuning up as I go without worrying about traffic. Then I might feel better.

When I finally had enough cash (so I thought, hahaha) to own a bike I really wanted I considered a nice, safe modern machine for exactly 4.5 seconds - they are just not my thing. In hindsight this is not a good bike for me, but I love it and doubt Iíll sell it for a long time, if ever. Iím not worthy of it at present is what I mean.

So, a dip switch isnít exactly a safety feature, but a horn might be useful, and a kill switch somewhere I can reach it with the clutch held in could help in a sticky situation.

Itís all registered now anyway, nothing much stopping me apart from procrastinating.
I wasn't having a dig at you in any shape or form mate honestly. All the reasons you've listed are more than understandable, you have to feel comfy and in control of what you have. If you've passed all the licenses you'll be fine, it's damn hard here in the UK guys to get a license, you have to take 4 riding examinations and a paper based one before you can ride over 1000CC engine!

Get it how you want it and get confidence in it, I mean like you I don't give a flying fuck for anything newer than the first cone shovels so you know it comes with some territory and dancing with the devil a fair bit.. Hell I've had a lot of near misses from wanker drivers, almost got taken out last thursday!

But ultimately the only way you'll feel good on it is throwing yourself onto it and getting the fucker down with some miles. I did that with a foot clutch on my pre unit trump which was backwards!! it'll get easier and before you know it you'll be riding it like it's a limb.

I've been fortunate to have bikes most of my life but like most things and me being a stubborn prick it's throw yourself in, sink or swim and I live my life like that pretty much haha!

I'm here to encourage as I want you at the shows to show me this beauty in the flesh!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:31 AM   #187
Ratso

If I'd tried to learn to ride in a city I'm sure I would've been dead two dozen times over. Your plan for the industrial estate is too obviously good to require comment.

At least you're old enough not to be afflicted with kid-iocy!
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 AM   #188
CookieMonster

These guys can be more than 17 surely?

Curiously I always thought my CH had been fitted with a XLH (short, wraparound) chain guard, but this one looks new and has the same. Not that Iím concerned with originality.

10 points for anyone who recognises these kids (not you Patrick):

Old 04-04-2019, 05:06 AM   #189
Drivetrain_ADS

here's how it works in the uk
if your 17 you can have a 125cc bike
if your 19 and above you can go straight on a bike with 47bhp
if your 24 and above you can have anything

when you hold the 47bhp licence for 2 years you can get the full licence before 24. so the earliest would be at 21 after getting your 47bhp licence at 19
Drivetrain_ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #190
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivetrain_ADS View Post
here's how it works in the uk
if your 17 you can have a 125cc bike
if your 19 and above you can go straight on a bike with 47bhp
if your 24 and above you can have anything

when you hold the 47bhp licence for 2 years you can get the full licence before 24. so the earliest would be at 21 after getting your 47bhp licence at 19
Yep.

And the lad who passed a few hours before I did my full died after 12 hours of riding a sports bike.. doesn't mean it's wise even if it's viable.

Point I was trying to make is in the US it's much easier to attain compared to here.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #191
[JP]

CookieMonster where abouts in the UK are you?

and Rhys is right, you don't need anything on these old bikes.

Is yours registered here?
If it's not and you have questions let me know, I've registered enough to know the ins and outs of the law.
and you don't need half the stuff for MOT. first because you don't need MOT and second because of the age, all you need is front light, brake light and a horn.
Nothing else is needed... and it will pass an MOT.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #192
Deathtrapsinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
I wasn't having a dig at you in any shape or form mate honestly. All the reasons you've listed are more than understandable, you have to feel comfy and in control of what you have. If you've passed all the licenses you'll be fine, it's damn hard here in the UK guys to get a license, you have to take 4 riding examinations and a paper based one before you can ride over 1000CC engine!

Get it how you want it and get confidence in it, I mean like you I don't give a flying fuck for anything newer than the first cone shovels so you know it comes with some territory and dancing with the devil a fair bit.. Hell I've had a lot of near misses from wanker drivers, almost got taken out last thursday!

But ultimately the only way you'll feel good on it is throwing yourself onto it and getting the fucker down with some miles. I did that with a foot clutch on my pre unit trump which was backwards!! it'll get easier and before you know it you'll be riding it like it's a limb.

I've been fortunate to have bikes most of my life but like most things and me being a stubborn prick it's throw yourself in, sink or swim and I live my life like that pretty much haha!

I'm here to encourage as I want you at the shows to show me this beauty in the flesh!
Cookie it's good to be scared, not being scared is the bad way to start. Scared makes you careful and alert. I was scared shitless when I started, 57 sportster chopper long girder and no front brake. But like Rhys said it doesn't take long and you will relax a little bit at a time, but never lose the fear that every car you pass is going to kill you, it just might. I started off on surface streets until I felt comfortable enough to hit the freeway. Sounds like your on the right path. Make sure the bike is mechanically safe so you don't have to worry about that and ride the fucker.
Deathtrapsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #193
Thebigguy0811

They are trying to kill us. Get used to it. Assume they will do the stupidest thing possible at the worst time. Then enjoy the ride.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #194
JAWS

Best advice I can give a guy for riding comfort and peace of mind is...

Ride it and be very cautious. Pay attention to every noise and vibration. Ride the shit out of it. Then one day you will catch yourself daydreaming about something, like whats for dinner.

That will be the day you two have merged. The synapses have made habitual paths (I don't know the scientific terminology), you'll know your bike like an extension of your body.

Problem is... now if it makes any slight change to any sound or feeling, you'll know it and try to ignore it until it really needs attention, like a sliver or tooth ache (like the rest of us).

Have fun!

Not everyone who plays with these has that many road miles.....

Last edited by JAWS; 04-07-2019 at 01:00 AM.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #195
Deathtrapsinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Best advice I can give a guy for riding comfort and peace of mind is...

Ride it and be very cautious. Pay attention to every noise and vibration. Ride the shit out of it. Then one day you will catch yourself daydreaming about something, like whats for dinner.

That will be the day you two have merged. The synapses have made habitual paths (I don't know the scientific terminology), you'll know your bike like an extension of your body.

Problem is... now if it makes any slight change to any sound or feeling, you'll know it and try to ignore it until it really needs attention, like a sliver or tooth ache (like the rest of us).

Have fun!

Not everyone who plays with these has that many road miles.....
Amen, thank you Jaws you captured it totally.
Deathtrapsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #196
rhysmort

I'd like to welcome you all to the chopper church of Jaws...!

Amen to that brother.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #197
CookieMonster

Thanks all for the kind words of encouragement...

It might take some time but Iíll definitely get back into it.

Today there was a huge local bike run (8K riders), the police were far too busy keeping an eye on groups of young riders on sport bikes and they closed all the major roads and car drivers stayed at home. So I used the opportunity to fart around locally with nobody batting an eyelid. It was great fun and I feel better every time. The brakes are starting to bed in and getting used to using the rear. I have a blob of Glyptal on the clutch lever to remind me to find neutral at a stop, or Iíll be using the stuff to seal the rivets on the clutch drum again all too soon.

Gear changes a bit hit and miss, but I think the clutch needs re-adjusting. Ride, adjust, repeat. Oh, and I should really put the air cleaner back on...kept killing it with my knee.

Next time I run it I will do the compression tests etc., for Liam & JAWS.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #198
JAWS

If it is running smoothly, firing on both holes good, no need for conpression testing
Old 04-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #199
KCgran

I always like riding on the interstates better than in town or two lane roads here in the U.S. all the traffic is going one direction, there is no cross traffic to worry about, it’s hard but not impossible for someone to cut you off. Always felt a lot safer doing a hundred on the big road than twenty five in town
Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #200
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCgran View Post
I always like riding on the interstates better than in town or two lane roads here in the U.S. all the traffic is going one direction, there is no cross traffic to worry about, itís hard but not impossible for someone to cut you off. Always felt a lot safer doing a hundred on the big road than twenty five in town
I fully agree with you here sir.

Where I live especially is full of old roman roads and lanes and loads of little side roads where clowns in cars can nip out and swipe you, highways like you said as long as you're not oblivious you can see all around you and with traffic calming and speed limits it's all flow. I can relax more in that scenario than small roads and streets!

Glad you're getting the feeling for it Mr Cookie, it'll be like an extension of your own arms eventually just get out as much as you can!