Jockey Journal Forum banner

HD narrow glide to Triumph frame. Will the lower bearing dust sheild interfere?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  shovithead 
#1 ·
I did some searching and could not find out what I need to know so maybe soneone here can help me out.

I am using a 39mm Showa narrow glide front end on my Triumph frame and need to know if I should use the lower bearing dust sheild. I did not receive one with my bearing conversion kit so maybe it will rub the bottom of the head tube once installed. It seems to clear fine when mocking the bearings up and holding them in there with my hands but I'm thinking it may interfere with the headtube on my 1970 T120R frame.

I test fitted a steel lower NG tree and bearing with lower dust sheild fitted and it seems to fit fine without the top tree and bearing but wanted to know before I press on the lower bearing onto the alloy lower tree I'm going to be uisng and install the top bearing and tree. I'd hate to press on the bearing and find out I have to remove the bearing and cut the dust sheild out of the way.

I see some bearing kits for HD forks to Triumph where a dust sheild is offered and some like the one I have where it is not.

#2 ·
Anyone?

I want to install the forks today so I'll hold off for a bit and hopefully someone knows the answer to my question. I just hate to have to ruin a new, lower bearing trying to get that dust shield off if the shield hits the bottom of head tube.

#5 ·
Bet it gets posted, and if not, do your due diligence and PM highcomp. That is, if he has the answer, and is not trying to buy the guys bike. Knowing HD's, and not so much about Triumph's, I would think that the dust shield, which is all of about .020 to .030, does not seem to be enough to interfere, but like I said, I don't know much about the triumphs, other than the front ends are similar. I have seen many front ends on bikes over the years, that don't have either one. So, it is not like missing a rings on the piston. It just keeps the dust/dirt/grit out of a bearing that never rotates more than about 45 degrees, and still, it can last years missing the shields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.