Jockey Journal Forum banner

bobbed 30DL

5K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  dan r 
#1 ·
this is a friends bike and it's built from busted and repaired, mix and match parts. engine was built from broken miss matched cases, weld repaired cylinders and heads. the four cams came from three different engines and well, you get the idea... it's going to be an eye sore with so much bright red but so what. only other paint will be the black on the cylinders, heads and pipes. all small parts and hardware will be parkerized. most of the paint is done, some assembly required...

fork it...

and...

this 45 inch engine really likes the walbro carb, it runs perfectly...

might up-date this thread every now and then.
ok everyone, get back to your projects...

See less See more
#3 ·
I love this bike so much. A bit too red for me, but whatever. Those wheels are heresy to everyone else, I am sure, but I dig them.

#10 ·
over braked... tried a smaller rotor on the rear. the caliper crashed the frame tubes when adjusting the chain. went with the larger rotor because it fit and it was what we had...

to get the chain to run in line with the trans, the hub flange was shaved 3/8" closer to center. the sprocket was a very low cost farm store part that fit... it fit after the center hole was bored and the bolt holes drilled. tooth count was the same as an oem DL model...

rear fender was made from a 70's era super glide rear with the sides cut off and the dents bashed back out. a few quick brackets and a trim here and there, we had a fender...

ever look inside of a 1929 ignition and light switch box? there is one part missing in this one as the high low switch went to the bars in 1930...

exhaust system was made from electrical conduit bends and straight tube cut, bashed and welded. muffler is only a short section of empty two inch exhaust tube.
here is where things stopped last night...

#13 ·
Red looks to be a popular color in that shop :). Is that the hind end of a red Ford Cougar at the top of the first picture? The front fender looks surprisingly good and it's practical for a real everyday rider in a part of the country where you actually get some weather, . . . close fit to the tire and it moves with the wheel.

Geo.

#14 ·
I love everything about this build. To break up the red but not to take away from the overall effect id have perhaps put a thin pinstripe of black or silver along the frame. Thats not a critique of what you men have done. As i said before i love everything about this.

#16 ·
I have never heard of a walbro carb. got any more info or pics of it? what size is it? butterfly or slide? thanks!
the carb was made by a company called walbro. they make all sorts of carbs for 2 and 4 cycle small engines, chain saws, weed whackers, lawn mowers... this one was from a 18 hp Tecumseh engine from a sears riding lawn mower. it's a butterfly type that's much like a bendix. it also has adjustable high and low jets to make life easy. this is the best pic I have of it now...

#20 ·
guess I somehow missed yours before, very nice.
yes, 29 D parts are a bit hard to find. generator drive gears can be a real issue. to make matters worse, they had two different versions :eek:
the red 30 is going to be just for fun and a bit of a slap in the face at the same time. the owner has a few of these 29-30's he has restored. this 29 is done now...

and he rides the 30 around that's hiding behind the bobbed 25 in this pic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.